Early Signing Period Approved | Syracusefan.com

Early Signing Period Approved

Jeremy Crabtree‏Verified account @jeremycrabtree 3m3 minutes ago
72-hour early signing period beginning Dec. 20, 2017, passing wasn't a surprise. Surprise came in timing of vote. Vote was set for mid-June.

First heard the words "early signing period" mentioned by coaches in 2002. 15 years later, it's reality after today's surprise vote by CCA.

But one conference commissioner told me after NCAA recruiting reform passed this spring "there was no need to wait until June, so we voted."

And before you ask, there is not a waiver for kids that sign early and a coaching change happens. Have to go thru normal NLI appeal process.

Last edited:
The question that has to be asked:

If a recruit gives us a verbal, and he chooses NOT to sign early, should we be worried?

If a recruit gives us a verbal, and he chooses NOT to sign early, should we be worried?
If the only way a player to actually commit to SU is to sign a NLI, and he chooses not to sign that NLI why wouldn't any fan be worried he won't commit. It's obvious.

9 times out of 10 I'm going to say yes

Accelerates the process... within a couple years it'll be a feeding frenzy for unsigned kids up until NLI Day.

In terms of being nervous? If a commit is still getting attention and wants to take OV's it's just in the open now more than ever... intentions will be clear after 12/20... I'd assume not signing early may become more common as time goes on.

what it will really do is force the big time schools to put up or shut up earlier with the kids the swoop in now late on, the kid will ask for the NLI and if they dont send it he will know where he stands and if they do send it and he signs it the school will have to take a kid that would be plan B/C now. the big time schools could end up taking some kids they normally want to wait on and it could move some big time kids down the ladder a bit

What is the benefit to the recruit?

Not to have a load of schools come at you at the very end and confuse your decision and get in your head.

Maybe the plan B guys know to move on with more time to spare rather than having to scramble at the last minute.

Not to have a load of schools come at you at the very end and confuse your decision and get in your head.

This seems like a weak reason to me.

Maybe the plan B guys know to move on with more time to spare rather than having to scramble at the last minute.

This makes more sense.

Still, it seems like, as always, this is designed to benefit schools primarily.

Those that have their decision made and want to have schools stop bothering them can go ahead and sign.

This makes more sense.

Still, it seems like, as always, this is designed to benefit schools primarily.
I think i benefits both. It gives the players options, they don't have to sign early. The landscape can clear up a little for the recruit and they may be able to see who is truly prioritizing them. From the school side, they may be able to clarify needs for the late period and begin to shift focus to next year. I don't think it hurts either side.

Syracuse is one of the best teams in the country at identifying talent early and making offers.

That puts it in better position than a lot of the more conservative programs that seem to go after top 300 types early and backfill with flips from less prestigious programs late in the recruiting year.

Those programs are going to have to hit the sticks and man the film rooms earlier, and make good evaluations earlier than in the past if they want to field complete classes.

I don't think it is a major paradigm change. Most players will still end up where they did before.

But the big powers will be forced into making decisions earlier and the kids in the 3 to 4 star range will have some pressure to make decisions earlier.

Waiting late for an offer from a big power could be very dangerous game. Some recruits that do not have good guidance from their parents and coaches are going to get burned and have to settle for programs far less than they deserve.

If they ever offer a summer early signing period, that is when things will really get interesting.

It'll also help the kids who commit to a school, only to have that school recruit over them and squeeze them out just before NLI day. They will have locked in their spot, assuming the school lets them sign in December.

This helps Syracuse considerably

I think it helps give the kids a little more leverage, the large schools can't slow play them as easily as before. A kid can say its down to Michigan and Michigan St, I really want to go to school Michigan but if you don't let me sign today I will be taking my talents to school Michigan St. tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom