Ecstatic about the 2-2-1 Press | Syracusefan.com

Ecstatic about the 2-2-1 Press

Orangeman

All Conference
Almost can't believe what I saw out there...

We have historically thrown out there a hectic, hit-or-miss 1-2-1-1 press that gave up as many lay-ups as it created turnovers

Tonight, we launched a 2-2-1 three-quarter court press. Thank God. It transitions seamlessly to our 2-3 half-court zone, gives up (nearly) zero easy layups, may still create turnovers given our size, and just makes sense.

PLUS, it takes 7 seconds off the shot clock, so now teams have 22 seconds to deal with our length.

This is a major shift in strategy...and a very good one.

We have historically thrown out there a hectic, hit-or-miss 1-2-1-1 press that gave up as many lay-ups as it created turnovers

Tonight, we launched a 2-2-1 three-quarter court press. Thank God. It transitions seamlessly to our 2-3 half-court zone, gives up (nearly) zero easy layups, may still create turnovers given our size, and just makes sense.

PLUS, it takes 7 seconds off the shot clock, so now teams have 22 seconds to deal with our length.

Cornell had four shot clock violations. Has to be a record or close to it. Wouldn't expect it from Ivy League kids.

Amen (even though tonight was not the first time we've seen it this year)

The 2-2-1 three-quarter press is the PERFECT compliment to the way JB plays the extended 2-3. If he adds a hard trap after the ball crosses midcourt, I'd be thrilled.

In addition to taking time off the clock before teams can run their half-court sets, the transition from 2-2-1 to 2-3 is just about seamless - the guards, forwards and center are already aligned to where they will set up in the 2-3

Doesn't this mean JB is still learning?

typically it's more a 9-1-1 press. trunk monkey to the rescue emergency drill.

go trunk monkey go !

We hardly use it at all against real teams .. we used it a couple times vs OSU .. it was nowhere to be found vs the teams in NYC