Ecstatic about the 2-2-1 Press | Syracusefan.com

Ecstatic about the 2-2-1 Press

Orangeman

All Conference
Almost can't believe what I saw out there...

We have historically thrown out there a hectic, hit-or-miss 1-2-1-1 press that gave up as many lay-ups as it created turnovers

Tonight, we launched a 2-2-1 three-quarter court press. Thank God. It transitions seamlessly to our 2-3 half-court zone, gives up (nearly) zero easy layups, may still create turnovers given our size, and just makes sense.

PLUS, it takes 7 seconds off the shot clock, so now teams have 22 seconds to deal with our length.

This is a major shift in strategy...and a very good one.

We have historically thrown out there a hectic, hit-or-miss 1-2-1-1 press that gave up as many lay-ups as it created turnovers

Tonight, we launched a 2-2-1 three-quarter court press. Thank God. It transitions seamlessly to our 2-3 half-court zone, gives up (nearly) zero easy layups, may still create turnovers given our size, and just makes sense.

PLUS, it takes 7 seconds off the shot clock, so now teams have 22 seconds to deal with our length.

Cornell had four shot clock violations. Has to be a record or close to it. Wouldn't expect it from Ivy League kids.

Amen (even though tonight was not the first time we've seen it this year)

The 2-2-1 three-quarter press is the PERFECT compliment to the way JB plays the extended 2-3. If he adds a hard trap after the ball crosses midcourt, I'd be thrilled.

In addition to taking time off the clock before teams can run their half-court sets, the transition from 2-2-1 to 2-3 is just about seamless - the guards, forwards and center are already aligned to where they will set up in the 2-3

Doesn't this mean JB is still learning?

typically it's more a 9-1-1 press. trunk monkey to the rescue emergency drill.

go trunk monkey go !

We hardly use it at all against real teams .. we used it a couple times vs OSU .. it was nowhere to be found vs the teams in NYC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom