Edwards First Half | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Edwards First Half

He should of red shirted. He hasn’t played enough and wasted a year of eligibility. He’s shown flashes of scoring ability and athleticism.

If the player on the close is close in ability as the starter, but I don't see that now.

We were struggling and players weren't playing to their ability, but that has not been the case most of the year.

Sitting them down a few minutes probably helped, but it is not something you want to do it's something you do in a pinch.

Strategies are things you want to do they are in the game plan. I don't see Edwards there yet, he needs to get stronger and he needs to rebound before he can be that guy game in and game out.
Respectfully disagree. It’s not just Edwards, its the bench as a whole. It’s prepping your guys, developing your bench as a strategy, AND yes, as a philosophy, not an afterthought or desperation maneuver. Sorry, I don’t buy the “he’s not ready” BS that JB regularly shovels out, because according to him no one is ever ready. He plays 6-7 guys, period...unless absolutely forced to do so, or the talent is undeniable. Otherwise, he doesn’t believe in in-game, hands-on bench development. He’s not gonna allow kids to play their way through mistakes, unless they're the chosen few. We’ve seen it for 40+ years now, and that’s ok. It’s just something I’ve always disagreed with. JMHO

Last edited:
Buddy doesn't go to the boards he leaks out for a hit ahead 3, Joe goes to the boards and does a very good job only had 2 tonight but he normally gets around 4.
He also needs to get back on defense as joe helps at free throw line.

He also needs to get back on defense as joe helps at free throw line.
I was talking about him rebounding while defending. He chooses not to.

Respectfully disagree. It’s not just Edwards, it the bench as a whole. It’s prepping your guys, developing your bench as a strategy, AND yes, as a philosophy, not an afterthought or desperation maneuver. Sorry, I don’t buy the “he’s not ready” BS that JB regularly shovels out, because according to him no one is ever ready. He plays 6-7 guys, period...unless absolutely forced to do so, or the talent is undeniable. Otherwise, he doesn’t believe in in-game, hands-on bench development. He’s not gonna allow kids to play their way through mistakes, unless they're the chosen few. We’ve seen it for 40+ years now, and that’s ok. It’s just something I’ve always disagreed with. JMHO
I agree with this sentiment. You want guys coming off the bench at the end of the season that can give your team a lift ...because they have grown throughout the season.

Anyway, I applaud JB tonight. He did not let 1, or 2, BUT 3 bench players play through very rough segments tonight, and he didn't give them a quick hook.

I'm talking Edwards, Washington, and Goodine.

Nice job, coach. You CAN teach an old dog new tricks!

We were down 11 at the half...we are not going to win most games when we allow that to happen...

We were down NINE almost immediately.

The 3 bench amigos didn’t cause that deficit to happen.
And it didn’t really get worse while they were in - which is really all you can ask.

And I agree 144% that Jesse’s minutes helped Marek & CDB avoid picking up more fouls, which was absolutely crucial towards our 2nd half comeback.

Loved his effort yesterday. One thing I noticed that will hurt his chances for playing time is his lack of speed getting back on d. He’s too slow. Needs much more urgenc.

Thought Edwards did fine yesterday.
Looked for the pass on screen/rolls -appeared to be a few opportunities, but no pass.
Jesse's extended long arms appear more imposing/disruptive on D than Bourama's.
No rebs, but went after them and one time SU got the ball out of bounds b/c of that.
Not HOF HC, but saw nothing that would prevent me staying with a 1st half PT strategy for Jesse. Nice Job.
-and credit to Bourama for an inspired 2nd half.

He should of red shirted. He hasn’t played enough and wasted a year of eligibility. He’s shown flashes of scoring ability and athleticism.

It doesn't really matter in this day and age. The moment he shows enough ability to get NBA interest he's gone. And if he doesn't show enough ability, we'll wish he never redshirted.

We were down NINE almost immediately.

The 3 bench amigos didn’t cause that deficit to happen.
And it didn’t really get worse while they were in - which is really all you can ask.

And I agree 144% that Jesse’s minutes helped Marek & CDB avoid picking up more fouls, which was absolutely crucial towards our 2nd half comeback.
I agree with all of that. That was an in game adjustment that worked well for us, but that was and IMO should not be part of the game plan because Edwards is not ready yet.

would they RS Edwards next yr if he still is not big enough? i doubt it but with the other kid coming off a RS and signs point to getting much bigger it would set us up with multiple bigs in 2 yrs as SO and we wont get 4 in the game next yr as it is.

Respectfully disagree. It’s not just Edwards, its the bench as a whole. It’s prepping your guys, developing your bench as a strategy, AND yes, as a philosophy, not an afterthought or desperation maneuver. Sorry, I don’t buy the “he’s not ready” BS that JB regularly shovels out, because according to him no one is ever ready. He plays 6-7 guys, period...unless absolutely forced to do so, or the talent is undeniable. Otherwise, he doesn’t believe in in-game, hands-on bench development. He’s not gonna allow kids to play their way through mistakes, unless they're the chosen few. We’ve seen it for 40+ years now, and that’s ok. It’s just something I’ve always disagreed with. JMHO

100% accurate IMO. Additionally, you answered your own question from your post that immediately preceded this one when asking why not exercise the bench option to see if it works and why wait until you had no choice? :)
This is how JB rolls and has for a long long time. Him not playing his bench isn't any different than why a program of such high stature/at the P5 level plays 100% zone...because simply it's his ship and he'll maintain captaining it as such.

would they RS Edwards next yr if he still is not big enough? i doubt it but with the other kid coming off a RS and signs point to getting much bigger it would set us up with multiple bigs in 2 yrs as SO and we wont get 4 in the game next yr as it is.
Hes got the Marek body type i don’t think he will ever be big enough, but he has a nice skillset and aggressiveness to him where he can make it work and be good for us.

This actually makes some sense. If we get Tape, we'll have four centers plus Dolezaj. Why not reverse the redshirts and give Edwards a year to build himself up while we see what Bol Ajak can do in occasional play behind Tape And Sidbie? JB will still use Marek at center against the smaller teams just to get him on the court. The next year Tape, Sidibie and Dolezaj would all be gone and Edwards and Bol Ajak would still have three years of eligibility with a year of play under their belts.

Thought Edwards did fine yesterday.
Looked for the pass on screen/rolls -appeared to be a few opportunities, but no pass.
Jesse's extended long arms appear more imposing/disruptive on D than Bourama's.
No rebs, but went after them and one time SU got the ball out of bounds b/c of that.
Not HOF HC, but saw nothing that would prevent me staying with a 1st half PT strategy for Jesse. Nice Job.
-and credit to Bourama for an inspired 2nd half.

The problem is not that Edwards played in the first half but that JB subbed three starters at once for three guys whoa re not, at this point, scorers. Despite his denial, that has to be a message sent to the starters. he could have subbed those guys in at different times, leaving four starters in.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom