Edwards First Half | Syracusefan.com

Edwards First Half

Jesse in the first half was a big factor in this game today. It was the real reason our bigs , especially Dolezaj was around at the end when we needed them. Great job Jesse!
Agreed.

Funny, Sid still found a way to get 5 fouls in the 2nd half after none in the 1st half (although I'll grant him the over the back call that fouled him out was BS).

I thought all the calls on him were iffy and of course when he was blatantly fouled it wasn't called.

The way the refs treat him is getting outrageous he NEVER gets a close call it always goes against him.

Officials look at Sid, see any contact and call a foul. After all, all the other officials did.

Some people are babe magnets, Sid's a foul magnet. Reminds me of the song below from back in the day, he's got The Look, and gets The Look(from the refs...sometimes from Joe too, but that doesn't always end any better)..

Joking aside, heck of a way for him to step up today. In the presser, Coach said he's capable of doing this on a more consistent basis, and the "more" seemed thrown in as an afterthought, after he started to say consistent without it at first.

Last edited:
Not sure if I missed it but did JB say anything about Edwards play in the first half? Edwards is not our answer to winning directly but without his effort in the first half there is no way we have Sidibe for nearly all the 2nd half and Dolezaj for all the second half. I do agree that Sidibe and Dolezaj made the difference for Syracuse in the second half but with out Edwards plugging the hole for over 5 minutes in the first half, much less Sidibe and Dolezaj in the 2nd half. I want to give JB credit for the move but it look like he failed to even rcognize the contribution?

Not sure if I missed it but did JB say anything about Edwards play in the first half? Edwards is not our answer to winning directly but without his effort in the first half there is no way we have Sidibe for nearly all the 2nd half and Dolezaj for all the second half. I do agree that Sidibe and Dolezaj made the difference for Syracuse in the second half but with out Edwards plugging the hole for over 5 minutes in the first half, much less Sidibe and Dolezaj in the 2nd half. I want to give JB credit for the move but it look like he failed to even rcognize the contribution?
JB didn’t say anything specific about Edwards, but someone asked him about the freshmen who played in the first half (presumably referring to Edwards and Goodine). JB said something like “they’re not ready yet.” I agree with both your assessment and JB’s. I think having Sidibe and Dolezaj both in the game, with fresh legs, late into the second half, was a key to the victory.

edwards has promise of being good in 2 to 3 year. washington is what he is, goodine needs to be able to make outside shots, gurrier needs to finish better and not get out of control whern he actually gets the ball in a position to score

Maybe it helped Marek and Sid, but I think it may have done more to help the three on the bench get the right mind set to do a better job than before they hit the bench.

We were down 11 at the half...we are not going to win most games when we allow that to happen...
Without Sidibe and Dolezaj in the 2nd half do you think we make up those 11 points? Yes we were down but the key is Edwards plugged the hole, Dolezaj and Sidibe did not get fouls on the bench and Syracuse was ready to attack with a full first team in the second half! Winning the first half does not win the game.

Without Sidibe and Dolezaj in the 2nd half do you think we make up those 11 points? Yes we were down but the key is Edwards plugged the hole, Dolezaj and Sidibe did not get fouls on the bench and Syracuse was ready to attack with a full first team in the second half! Winning the first half does not win the game.
There is a difference between filling a need and being a strategy. Edwards filled a need in the first have that helped us win a game, but we are not good enough to spot teams points by not playing our best players in the first half.

There is a difference between filling a need and being a strategy. Edwards filled a need in the first have that helped us win a game, but we are not good enough to spot teams points by not playing our best players in the first half.
I’m not clear on the logic here. “Playing our best players” is what caused the deficit in the first place. By having Edwards as an option to “hold the fort”, if you will- it allows us the ability to make a run later, w/out being hampered by foul problems or fatigue. If Edwards came in and stunk up the joint, then u sit him down and bring back your starters. But why not exercise the bench option and see if it works? Why wait until you have no choice? Why not do it throughout the year as a calculated maneuver? Imo, it’s just stupid NOT to do so.

WOW...needs and strategies! I thought we were trying to win a game?

I’m not clear on the logic here. “Playing our best players” is what caused the deficit in the first place. By having Edwards as an option to “hold the fort”, if you will- it allows us the ability to make a run later, w/out being hampered by foul problems or fatigue. If Edwards came in and stunk up the joint, then u sit him down and bring back your starters. But why not exercise the bench option and see if it works? Why wait until you have no choice? Why not do it throughout the year as a calculated maneuver? Imo, it’s just stupid NOT to do so.
If the player on the close is close in ability as the starter, but I don't see that now.

We were struggling and players weren't playing to their ability, but that has not been the case most of the year.

Sitting them down a few minutes probably helped, but it is not something you want to do it's something you do in a pinch.

Strategies are things you want to do they are in the game plan. I don't see Edwards there yet, he needs to get stronger and he needs to rebound before he can be that guy game in and game out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom