Eh... Coleman | Syracusefan.com

Eh... Coleman

Coleman deserves a LOT of credit for working hard in the offseason to arrive in much better shape than he was in high school. He was a chubby kid in high school, and he's really slimmed down. It will pay big dividends. But it is also a testimony to his work ethic. We need him to be good this year.

Coleman will be freshman of the year. Bank it. But he shouldn't win because he does NOT look like a freshman, at all. Such a refined player.

Coleman will be freshman of the year. Bank it. But he shouldn't win because he does NOT look like a freshman, at all. Such a refined player.

He's got a ways to go, and JB is going to ride him pretty hard. You can see that already. And with Keita and Christmas playing that well, Coleman can afford to sit and watch for several minutes at a time, if he needs to. Great depth at center this year. I think all 3 guys are ready to play and I think they all contribute something a bit different.

Coleman deserves a LOT of credit for working hard in the offseason to arrive in much better shape than he was in high school. He was a chubby kid in high school, and he's really slimmed down. It will pay big dividends. But it is also a testimony to his work ethic. We need him to be good this year.

No doubt. Really chiseled and just in way better shape. Reminds me of a poor mans sulinger right now but the upside of him is greater than Sully.

I have no idea why, but watching him for the first time tonight, he reminded me of Terrence Roberts.

he looks to be in GREAT shape. very surprised.

No doubt. Really chiseled and just in way better shape. Reminds me of a poor mans sulinger right now but the upside of him is greater than Sully.
You got it. He's sullinger. I love his fire though. Along with McW. Someone has to have swag

I really like our stable of bigs...and Coleman looks fantastic. He is spry and for a big man, he moves on cat's feet out there.

Even saw some scenarios where his 2nd jump was just as high as his first. Didn't realize he had re-coil like that.

I have no idea why, but watching him for the first time tonight, he reminded me of Terrence Roberts.

Yeah, me too, only he reminded me how good I thought Roberts would be after four years on the Hill.

The first guy to get in his way trying to take a charge on a fast break, they might never find all the pieces.

I was surprised how athletic his. I thought he would be slow and fat with no vertical the way some people talk about him. Looked he can get up pretty high and got up and down the floor well. That outlet pass he threw was a freakin bullet.

Keitas got such a soft touch around the rim. Just a random thought.

You got it. He's sullinger. I love his fire though. Along with McW. Someone has to have swag

Forget swag, how about effort? That kid was busting it as if last night were an Elite Eight game. Sprinting up and down the court like Keita does, getting into position.

Very impressed with Coleman. Some of that is probably due to tempered expectations (hey, he's an undersized fat kid until he proves otherwise), but he was good in every facet - terrific outlet passer, both in terms of touch and vision; good enough rebounder; excellent touch around the hoop - can use glass to get the ball in from tough angles; patient - didn't bull his shoulder into defenders; fantastic receiver of lob passes (when Triche and Mike weren't leaving the pass four feet short); good defender (I'd rather see him at the 5, though he gave it a nice college try on the wing). And the free throws. Wow. Here's hoping his free throw development curve doesn't go the way of nearly every other Syracuse player in the past four decades.

Really bullish on this kid. Now let's see him do it against people his own size. If he can maintain his fitness and actually get some designed touches, he'll average in double figures. No freshman center has done that for us in over 20 years.

Forget swag, how about effort? That kid was busting it as if last night were an Elite Eight game. Sprinting up and down the court like Keita does, getting into position.

Very impressed with Coleman. Some of that is probably due to tempered expectations (hey, he's an undersized fat kid until he proves otherwise), but he was good in every facet - terrific outlet passer, both in terms of touch and vision; good enough rebounder; excellent touch around the hoop - can use glass to get the ball in from tough angles; patient - didn't bull his shoulder into defenders; fantastic receiver of lob passes (when Triche and Mike weren't leaving the pass four feet short); good defender (I'd rather see him at the 5, though he gave it a nice college try on the wing). And the free throws. Wow. Here's hoping his free throw development curve doesn't go the way of nearly every other Syracuse player in the past four decades.

Really bullish on this kid. Now let's see him do it against people his own size. If he can maintain his fitness and actually get some designed touches, he'll average in double figures. No freshman center has done that for us in over 20 years.

There was one play in the first half where Coleman got a steal on the baseline, then tried to bounce it off of a Pace player's leg because he was falling out of bounds. The ball richoched to CJ, who then triggered the fast break.

Meanwhile, Coleman put his head down and sprinted--literally SPRINTED the length of the court to catch up to the play. A few seconds later, he ended up getting an entry feed for an inside score.

Great hustle by Coleman. I said last night that he deserves kudos for working hard after high school to get into shape. But I like the effort I see from this kid. It was there in the McD's game, as well--even though he was heavy, he ran hard the whole time. Might not have been as fleet a foot as some of the other more athletic players in that game, but he never took plays off.

I loved when he either missed a shot or lost the ball and he back is man into the post and demanded they give him the ball back. Someone maybe Fair got him the ball and he went up again. Showed so fire on that play.

There was one play in the first half where Coleman got a steal on the baseline, then tried to bounce it off of a Pace player's leg because he was falling out of bounds. The ball richoched to CJ, who then triggered the fast break.

Meanwhile, Coleman put his head down and sprinted--literally SPRINTED the length of the court to catch up to the play. A few seconds later, he ended up getting an entry feed for an inside score.

Great hustle by Coleman. I said last night that he deserves kudos for working hard after high school to get into shape. But I like the effort I see from this kid. It was there in the McD's game, as well--even though he was heavy, he ran hard the whole time. Might not have been as fleet a foot as some of the other more athletic players in that game, but he never took plays off.

Oh yeah, I remember that one. (And the directional mike really picked up the sound of Coleman spiking the ball off that kid.) Other than Keita, I can't remember an SU big who's moved 94 feet at that speed.

Don't want to get too carried away - a summer's worth of conditioning can be wiped away when we get into Saturday-Monday turnarounds and he's spending 60 of 72 hours sitting in planes and hotels - but he's got a lot of tools and the desire that I'd (wrongly) assumed someone of his girth wouldn't possess.

I loved when he either missed a shot or lost the ball and he back is man into the post and demanded they give him the ball back. Someone maybe Fair got him the ball and he went up again. Showed so fire on that play.

Yup. Doubt we'll ever be a team that feeds its big 20 times a game, but it'd be fun to see us try. Coleman ought to be heavily involved in the offense.

For what it's worth, I hope we don't abandon the Christmas as a four experiment. Just like last year, there may be early growing pains, but we'll be better for it when March rolls around. Those two would make a great high-low combo.

I didn't see him brick any dunks into the 5th row last night? Between TRob and Paul Harris they must have more combined missed dunks than any two in the history of College BB. :)

Watching him last night, I kept thinking of Mike Sweetney from Georgetown. Good low post game, really tough to stop being so strong and physical, and hits his free throws. Note that I'm not referring to the NBA Sweetney, who may have eaten his point guard.

There was a nice play Coleman made late in the first half where he he dropped a pass from almost ear level towards his back right shoulder to a cutting SU player (I forget who) for an easy lay-up. It was such a nice almost no-look pass. Coleman was passing the ball how Fab Melo envisioned himself passing.

There was a nice play Coleman made late in the first half where he he dropped a pass from almost ear level towards his back right shoulder to a cutting SU player (I forget who) for an easy lay-up. It was such a nice almost no-look pass. Coleman was passing the ball how Fab Melo envisioned himself passing.
It was to.grant who didnt convert but triche put it back. I'm not a 100% sure but im confident Coleman lost the ball and it amazingly hit a cutting Grant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom