Eight reasons opponents ought to be jealous of where Kentucky houses its basketball team | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Eight reasons opponents ought to be jealous of where Kentucky houses its basketball team

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was sympathetic towards slaves, the term "darkies" wasn't a racist term in the 1850's.

Says a lot about the 1850's that it wasn't.

And even if that was the case, that doesn't make it ok to say it now.

Says a lot about the 1850's that it wasn't.

And even if that was the case, that doesn't make it ok to say it now.
No one says it now. The line was changed from darkies to people forever ago.

No one says it now. The line was changed from darkies to people forever ago.

They sang "darkies" at Rupp as recently as this March. It was on the television broadcast. And seemed awkward as the camera panned across the players gathered near the bench.

I live in Louisville and if you think Kentucky is as racist as you're implying, you clearly have never visited and are basing your opinions off of tv shows or something. Equally as ignorant is saying My Old Kentucky Home is racist. It was sympathetic towards slaves, the term "darkies" wasn't a racist term in the 1850's.

Also, I'm not saying the song is "racist." How about insensitive? And inappropriate for the venue.

Also, I'm not saying the song is "racist." How about insensitive? And inappropriate for the venue.
How is a song sympathetic to a slave missing home insensitive? They play it at Louisville games, Kentucky games, the Kentucky Derby, basically no one here finds it insensitive or inappropriate.

the term "darkies" wasn't a racist term in the 1850's.

[/quote]

Why wasn't it?

They sang "darkies" at Rupp as recently as this March. It was on the television broadcast. And seemed awkward as the camera panned across the players gathered near the bench.

I'll be honest, I don't know the whole story here. If they said darkies in the year 2012; well, that's pretty bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if its one of those things where they changed the official lyrics but a lot of people still say darkies.

How is a song sympathetic to a slave missing home insensitive? They play it at Louisville games, Kentucky games, the Kentucky Derby, basically no one here finds it insensitive or inappropriate.

Hey, I'm not trying to be insulting or to bash your home. But that claim stands in support of my initial point (that a black kid from New York or Chicago or Washington is a such a fish out of water in Lexington that UK better go the extra mile with bells and whistles in order to entice him to accept a scholarship).

"Darky" is a term that is just about universally taboo in America. That thousands of people would gleefully sing it - in front of African-American kids from regions where that language is not used lightly, no less - is decidedly tone-deaf, for lack of a better term. Or inappropriate. Or insensitive.

Even if we were to argue that that language is innocuous and accepted in Lexington, one would have to concede that it's impolite to throw around such terms around outsiders who are likely to be offended by it.

I'll be honest, I don't know the whole story here. If they said darkies in the year 2012; well, that's pretty bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if its one of those things where they changed the official lyrics but a lot of people still say darkies.

Yeah, I don't know what language was running on the videoboards, but the word came across very clearly in the audio on the broadcast. I was pretty surprised. The Derby is one thing, but the contrast between the singing fans and the faces on the floor was a bit uncomfortable.

Yeah, I don't know what language was running on the videoboards, but the word came across very clearly in the audio on the broadcast. I was pretty surprised. The Derby is one thing, but the contrast between the singing fans and the faces on the floor was a bit uncomfortable.
Dude no one says darkies. He clearly says "the people are gay" in the second line. Anyone who says that he sang "darkies" is either mistaking or more likely blatantly lying. *My Old Kentucky Home starts at the 2:15 mark.

Dude no one says darkies. He clearly says "the people are gay" in the second line. Anyone who says that he sang "darkies" is either mistaking or more likely blatantly lying. *My Old Kentucky Home starts at the 2:15 mark.

No need to accuse me of lying. I watched the Georgia game on ESPN that night. I heard "darkies" (I think there was even a reference to it in the game thread on here). I didn't hear that word in your clip.

No need to accuse me of lying. I watched the Georgia game on ESPN that night. I heard "darkies" (I think there was even a reference to it in the game thread on here). I didn't hear that word in your clip.
You didn't hear it in the clip because no one sings it in the song ever. People and darkies don't sound anything alike so it's hard to mistake that.

I live in Louisville and if you think Kentucky is as racist as you're implying, you clearly have never visited and are basing your opinions off of tv shows or something. Equally as ignorant is saying My Old Kentucky Home is racist. It was sympathetic towards slaves, the term "darkies" wasn't a racist term in the 1850's.

I don't want to get too far afield from basketball here, but save the indignation, please. Ky's one of the most racially backward states in the union. Do we need to get out the voting records here -- half the people in the state admit that race is a factor in their voting decisions. People sing racially insensitive songs (My Old Ky Home is just one of them). Property owners fly confederate flags and put up black-faced yard statues (symbols of the days of slavery) .. it goes on and on. Better to admit it than pretend racially adverse attitudes aren't common there.

Do you know how many people in NY say "darkie" or put up racist yard statues? None.

Try this for an interesting review of Ky's nagging institutional race problems. http://www.brennancenter.org/blog/archives/kentuckys_disturbing_disenfranchisement_numbers/

I don't want to get too far afield from basketball here, but save the indignation, please. Ky's one of the most racially backward states in the union. Do we need to get out the voting records here -- half the people in the state admit that race is a factor in their voting decisions. People sing racially insensitive songs (My Old Ky Home is just one of them). Property owners fly confederate flags and put up black-faced yard statues (symbols of the days of slavery) .. it goes on and on. Better to admit it than pretend racially adverse attitudes aren't common there.

Do you know how many people in NY say "darkie" or put up racist yard statues? None.

Try this for an interesting review of Ky's nagging institutional race problems. http://www.brennancenter.org/blog/archives/kentuckys_disturbing_disenfranchisement_numbers/
I seriously doubt they polled 2 million Kentuckians. You guys got busted in a lie so now you want to make more ridiculous claims. Louisville and Lexington, the city being discussed both voted for Obama. Lexington has an openly gay mayor. The image you portray shows you've clearly never been here and are just spewing more ignorance. There's racism in Kentucky, and there might be more than a lot of places, but saying it's common is another blatant lie. Google racism and whatever city you live in and see what comes up.
Are these the racist symbols you're referring to?

The "N-bomb" probably wasn't so wrong anywhere in America 150 years ago either, does that mean Kentucky still can use it without being wrong?

The "N-bomb" probably wasn't so wrong anywhere in America 150 years ago either, does that mean Kentucky still can use it without being wrong?
I am gonna say this one more time since you clearly didn't read it the 1st 5 times. No one uses darkies anymore. It was taken out of the song damn near 90 years ago. Anyone who says that the heard it sang anywhere with the term darkies is lying.

He's not lying, I guarantee he heard people in the crowd singing it. He never said the official song or singer was singing it. Nobody would just make that up! I know you must think this argument is worth discussing to defend your home, but laying accusations like that is just ridiculous. Defend your turf but dont act like your the keeper of fact. Im sorry did you say you are an usher at every game and you can hear every voice in the building? Or do you personally know everyone in the building and are willing to say there arent any racists in the building?

There are racists in every building, in every state. There are just as many black or african american or colored ( oh my i said an insensitive adjective, lol people need to geta clue, who determines these ever-changing standards. is it the same people who determine... retearded, clients, consumers what a joke. there is nothing rong with saying white-man or black-man) racists as white ones, pretending you live in Eden is funny. Now ive spent time in louisville with friends and they had african american friends who we hung out with. I never witnesed racism when i was there, and was surprised that the city was more modern in thought than i anticipated. I liked louisville and found its residents friendly, outside of a few uppermiddle class woman who stick their nose in the air when the state of NY is mentioned. BUT LEXINGTON AND LOUISVILLE are not cut from the same cloth as the hillbillys and mountain folk. Same as NYC is different from Syracuse, and SYRACUSE is different from fulton and redfield.

I'd never want to live there just because the number of animal hospitals freaks me out. They take better care of their animals than I do for myself.

To the other guy, stop judging people for doing things of which you have no idea. your judging people for owning items that have defined their culture. Confederate flags dont mean the same thing to everyone. Even more certainly you dont have a clue what it means. Displaying Yard art that may have been passed down for generations doesnt make you racist. Id go as far as saying if your family sang darkies in the 50's and you grew up singing it that way, you you may not be a racist. Your just as insensitive and dare i say ignorant in labeling a whole state that you clearly are unfamiliar. Worse is your ethnocentric vitriol shows your prejudice and judgement is alive and well. Better get some new glass for your house.

BTW, I live in NY and I've heard the phrase darky before. Ignorance is everywhere...

players get fresh cheese of the wheel,while the lottery winners get processed cheese food that is a little green for their grilled cheese sandwich

I am gonna say this one more time since you clearly didn't read it the 1st 5 times. No one uses darkies anymore. It was taken out of the song damn near 90 years ago. Anyone who says that the heard it sang anywhere with the term darkies is lying.

Listen, I'd appreciate it if you'd stop calling me a liar. I'm not lying; you're being a shmuck.

Equally as ignorant is saying My Old Kentucky Home is racist. It was sympathetic towards slaves, the term "darkies" wasn't a racist term in the 1850's.

I wonder if the slaves in the 1850's thought "darkie" wasn't racist?

You get preseason jerseys with more iq then the 4.0 you will be AWARDED PRESEASON in the classroom.

wallblowup-2.jpg

I seriously doubt they polled 2 million Kentuckians. You guys got busted in a lie so now you want to make more ridiculous claims. Louisville and Lexington, the city being discussed both voted for Obama. Lexington has an openly gay mayor. The image you portray shows you've clearly never been here and are just spewing more ignorance. There's racism in Kentucky, and there might be more than a lot of places, but saying it's common is another blatant lie. Google racism and whatever city you live in and see what comes up.
Are these the racist symbols you're referring to?
Ive been all over the state. Not everyone there is a racist, as you point out anecdotally. But the voting numbers, the other institutional problems I linked to (racism in the election and criminal justice systems, etc), the tolerance of racist cultural behaviors (insensitive songs, extant symbols of slavery, etc..) all suggest that Ky has a "nagging" race problem. I'm glad you're not in that boat, but your state has a long way to go. Let's leave it there.

He's not lying, I guarantee he heard people in the crowd singing it. He never said the official song or singer was singing it. Nobody would just make that up! I know you must think this argument is worth discussing to defend your home, but laying accusations like that is just ridiculous. Defend your turf but dont act like your the keeper of fact. Im sorry did you say you are an usher at every game and you can hear every voice in the building? Or do you personally know everyone in the building and are willing to say there arent any racists in the building?

There are racists in every building, in every state. There are just as many black or african american or colored ( oh my i said an insensitive adjective, lol people need to geta clue, who determines these ever-changing standards. is it the same people who determine... retearded, clients, consumers what a joke. there is nothing rong with saying white-man or black-man) racists as white ones, pretending you live in Eden is funny. Now ive spent time in louisville with friends and they had african american friends who we hung out with. I never witnesed racism when i was there, and was surprised that the city was more modern in thought than i anticipated. I liked louisville and found its residents friendly, outside of a few uppermiddle class woman who stick their nose in the air when the state of NY is mentioned. BUT LEXINGTON AND LOUISVILLE are not cut from the same cloth as the hillbillys and mountain folk. Same as NYC is different from Syracuse, and SYRACUSE is different from fulton and redfield.

I'd never want to live there just because the number of animal hospitals freaks me out. They take better care of their animals than I do for myself.

To the other guy, stop judging people for doing things of which you have no idea. your judging people for owning items that have defined their culture. Confederate flags dont mean the same thing to everyone. Even more certainly you dont have a clue what it means. Displaying Yard art that may have been passed down for generations doesnt make you racist. Id go as far as saying if your family sang darkies in the 50's and you grew up singing it that way, you you may not be a racist. Your just as insensitive and dare i say ignorant in labeling a whole state that you clearly are unfamiliar. Worse is your ethnocentric vitriol shows your prejudice and judgement is alive and well. Better get some new glass for your house.
Why couldn't you hear people in the crown singing "darkies" if you guarantee thats what was heard? I played the video and clearly no one said darkies. You're as ignorant as the racists if you believe that BS.

I hate this thread.

The Melo Center is sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.