Eight reasons opponents ought to be jealous of where Kentucky houses its basketball team | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Eight reasons opponents ought to be jealous of where Kentucky houses its basketball team

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate this thread.

The Melo Center is sick.

Hide this awesome truth let Nobody know about it. Even though its better then what Kentucky can offer nobody must know.

I just think that it is funny how Kentucky is so proud to blatantly bend the rules and disregard the intention of the rules set forth by the NCAA. What the NCAA seems to want and miserably fail at is ensuring that these student athletes are as typical of a student at each school as possible without having extra benefits not afforded the general student population. Of course, they fail miserably because they can't set aside the huge cash cow that is collegiate athletics, but that is a different topic. Kentucky is proud to have luxery student housing for basketball players and then fill it with only the required number of "normal" students. It just seems as though they are thumbing their noses at the NCAA, and the NCAA will do nothing about it.

Unfortunately cal has way to much power and the perception flows to recruits as well. If recruits feel that way then there is no stopping him.
If he wanted to he could go after one individual program and all their top recruits over 1-2 years to kill their seniority or the young talent to go with it. If he did that to the top 4 threats in the country every year switching on and off he could start anarchy. He has that much power right now.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cal do that either if he wanted three or four of someones top recruits. Even if it was Duke or UNC. I don't understand why kids jump aboard the greed train or how it took off successfully, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was still liked by recruits even if he went down a road like that.

Unfortunately cal has way to much power and the perception flows to recruits as well. If recruits feel that way then there is no stopping him.
If he wanted to he could go after one individual program and all their top recruits over 1-2 years to kill their seniority or the young talent to go with it. If he did that to the top 4 threats in the country every year switching on and off he could start anarchy. He has that much power right now.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cal do that either if he wanted three or four of someones top recruits. Even if it was Duke or UNC. I don't understand why kids jump aboard the greed train or how it took off successfully, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was still liked by recruits even if he went down a road like that.

But do you think Cal will settle for something short of world domination?

I've lived in New York since I was 10, currently live in Rochester. The people you have been degrading in this forum post are the very people I come from. I was born in Pike County, KY and have many family members there. This thread was called to my attention this weekend by a family member so I've decided to comment even though this is a four year old thread.

This notion that a dormitory has to be built to lure a black kid to Kentucky is ridiculous. Furthermore the rest of the comments in this thread are absurd. I know quite a bit about the history of the place I came from. "My Old Kentucky Home" is actually an anti-slavery ballad. Darkies was removed in 1986 and replaced with people. Darkies in the context of the song, written by a Pennsylvania native, was not a racist. The change in lyric was made due to ever evolving meanings and to appease individuals like you who never look up information or refuse to understand the context of which something was written or stated.

Kentucky was a neutral state during the Civil War and never seceded to the Confederacy. After an attempt by the Confederacy to take control of the state, the Kentucky legislature petitioned the Union Army for assistance. By early 1862, the state was largely under the control of the Union.

This notion that Adolph Rupp was a racists is at best a work of fiction. He coached black players at the high school level and in fact helped a black player from Paris land a spot at Duquesne. This player would go onto to play in the NBA and with the Globetrotters. Vaught's Views: Adolph Rupp a racist? No way, says Paris native J.D. Tucker

Rupp took his teams into competition against teams with black players long before that 1966 Texas Western game was ever played. In fact, Rupp had tried to recruit Wes Unseld in 1964 and Butch Beard in 1965. I don't think you quite understand what Rupp was up against in trying to lure a black player to the SEC at that time. Beard is on record as saying it was not an environment he wanted to play in having to go to Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, etc. This is what he eluded to in regards to JD Tucker. He wasn't going to be able to bring Tucker to UK because of SEC rules at the time but what he could do was help the kid into a school.

Kentucky, yes this "racist" place you speak of, was the very place that broke the color barrier in the SEC...UK reveals sculpture honoring first black football players

Last edited:
That seems to be the "out" on anything NCAA - get non scholarship students (maybe include student managers, student statisticians, student tutors etc) to share any questionable benefit 50-50.

Status
Not open for further replies.