Eight Team Playoff | Syracusefan.com

Eight Team Playoff

Cusefan95

All Conference
This would be a great year for an eight team playoff - There’s at least two very deserving teams that are going to be left out. If it was.an autobid for a conference championship, it could look like this:

Alabama (SEC)
Clemson (ACC)
Ohio State (B1G)
Oklahoma (B12)
Washington (P12)
Notre Dame (Wildcard)
Georgia (Wildcard)
UCF (Wildcard)

If that was the playoff, I would be far more interested than what we’re going to end up with instead.

I’d note that I don’t think the playoffs can really count on conference championship games being autobid until conferences figure out a fix for the games; conferences like the ACC and B1G are so wildly out of balance with their divisions it generally means the 3rd or 4th best team in conference is playing in that game. And I wouldn’t be excited by actual expansion to eight teams until a conference championship was an autobid.

I really really hope OU or OSU being kept out pushes this to happen. 2 huge name and following schools.

I agree should be this way. But then Michigan would cry that they are ranked in top 8 ahead of UCF but they didn't get a Wilcard. And teams like Florida and LSU would complain that Washington got in.

Reactions: 007
I agree should be this way. But then Michigan would cry that they are ranked in top 8 ahead of UCF but they didn't get a Wilcard. And teams like Florida and LSU would complain that Washington got in.

Too bad. The beauty of the system is you win your conference, you’re in. Upset you didn’t get in, Michigan? Next time, beat Ohio State.

Keep it at 4. This way the regular season games are immensely important.

Keep it at 4. This way the regular season games are immensely important.

I’ve never gotten this argument. Whichever team gets in between Oklahoma/Ohio State means the game the other lost was super relevant - and the game the team that got in lost was irrelevant.

If you’re picking between multiple one-loss teams, it’s a popularity contest, not a legitimate championship. College football is closer to gymnastics and figure skating than real sports as a result.

you have a ton of data. go back 10 yrs and really figure out what teams probably could have made it thru a playoff system of 8 or 16. its pretty obvious most yrs more than 4 teams could have these days

this yr

clemson
mich
OSU
Ala
Ga
OK
ND
UCF has shown so much offense they just might be able to survive

wash/Wv/LSU couldnt win 3 in a row.
not sure Mich could either

I’ve never gotten this argument. Whichever team gets in between Oklahoma/Ohio State means the game the other lost was super relevant - and the game the team that got in lost was irrelevant.

If you’re picking between multiple one-loss teams, it’s a popularity contest, not a legitimate championship. College football is closer to gymnastics and figure skating than real sports as a result.

Once it is expanded to 8, then there will be calls for 12, 16, etc... It won't ever stop. I like that the CFB world differentiates itself from so many other sports is that the regular season is of paramount importance.

If UGA, OK, OSU etc... would have won their games then they would have been in the CFB. Period.

Also, anyone who watched the UCF game yesterday and believe they belong in the playoff is wacko.

I’d note that I don’t think the playoffs can really count on conference championship games being autobid until conferences figure out a fix for the games; conferences like the ACC and B1G are so wildly out of balance with their divisions it generally means the 3rd or 4th best team in conference is playing in that game. And I wouldn’t be excited by actual expansion to eight teams until a conference championship was an autobid.

Agreed. If each conference championship game resulted in the two best teams from that conference for that year met in the conference championship game then P5 conference champ auto-bids is great. Might lead to a change in the championship game rule that will allow for no divisions. As for the three wildcards in this scenario I would hope there would be one spot reserved for the best of the G5 champions and the other two the best of the rest although I might restrict only one of the two being a loser in a conference championship game to allow for the potential of a third team from a conference that was close to being in the CCG a chance to prove themselves in the playoffs. Not totally committed to that concept but it is one that should at least be considered.

Cheers,
Neil

Once it is expanded to 8, then there will be calls for 12, 16, etc... It won't ever stop. I like that the CFB world differentiates itself from so many other sports is that the regular season is of paramount importance.

If UGA, OK, OSU etc... would have won their games then they would have been in the CFB. Period.

Also, anyone who watched the UCF game yesterday and believe they belong in the playoff is wacko.

How important was UCF’s season? Going undefeated is irrelevant?

The “regular season is soooooo important” is an argument people make - but it doesn’t stand up to even minimal scrutiny. Either winning matters, or it doesn’t - you managed to make both cases in your post. Which ultimately means to you - winning doesn’t really matter (except in the cases where you decided it did, and base your “regular season matters” argument on those cases alone).

Last edited:
How important was UCF’s season? Going undefeated is irrelevant?

The “regular season is soooooo important” is an argument people make - but it doesn’t stand up to even minimal scrutiny. Either winning matters, or it doesn’t - you managed to make both cases in your post. Which ultimately means to you - winning doesn’t really matter (except in the cases where you decided it did, and hand your “regular season matters” argument on those cases alone).
This times 1000. Totally agree.

Regular season will always be important unless you went to a 32 or 64 team playoff (never gonna happen)

This is ultimately a “style points” argument.

Do you know where else “style points” matters? Figure skating.

It’s fine that you are a big figure skating fan...I just prefer sports to be more objectively based than that.

I don’t see anyone arguing for UCF to be included in the 4 team playoff. But most would include them in an 8 team playoff.

I’d welcome this kind of argument. It’s better than a team being left out at #5 with a decent argument and only a smoke filled conference room knowing what criteria they are using that week

This is ultimately a “style points” argument.

Do you know where else “style points” matters? Figure skating.

It’s fine that you are a big figure skating fan...I just prefer sports to be more objectively based than that.

I’d agree if you’re going with just the eyeball test. That’s stupid and too objective.

But there are lots of ways to determine *how a team played* - that should 100% be factored in - in addition to the final score.

No matter how big the field is you’ll always have teams with a case to get in being excluded, and TBH whoever gets left out among UGa OU and tOSU will have no right to complain given their shortcomings.

No matter how big the field is you’ll always have teams with a case to get in being excluded, and TBH whoever gets left out among UGa OU and tOSU will have no right to complain given their shortcomings.
I think the argument is over which teams could win the National Championship and deserve to be in the playoff. That list diminishes the further you get from 4 teams.

Yes. But it’s better if the arguement is at #7 or #9 instead of #5

This would be a great year for an eight team playoff - There’s at least two very deserving teams that are going to be left out. If it was.an autobid for a conference championship, it could look like this:

Alabama (SEC)
Clemson (ACC)
Ohio State (B1G)
Oklahoma (B12)
Washington (P12)
Notre Dame (Wildcard)
Georgia (Wildcard)
UCF (Wildcard)

If that was the playoff, I would be far more interested than what we’re going to end up with instead.

Nope. Too many teams. Three wild cards is crazy. Makes the season meaningless. Also the #1 team should get rewarded and not have to play an extra game to get into the Final Four. The best teams should be in the Final Four. Why risk upsets and have the possibility of an 8 seed make it? Six teams top and that still might be too many teams.

Hard to argue that Georgia isn't one of the best 4 teams, especially after yesterday's showing. If the criteria is the 4 best teams, then it's extremely difficult to leave them out. Winning your conference championship doesn't/shouldn't even be an argument. OU beating Texas and OSU beating NW is not anywhere on the same plane in having to play/beat Alabama. In my opinion, Georgia would be favored against Clemson and ND, and would beat them. You could easily go to 8. Why not go to 12 and give the champions of their respective conference a first round bye?

It's such a joke. Too many games, not enough time, too hard on those "student athletes" etc. There's practically a month between now and the 4 team SELLECToff. Meanwhile, those lessor & inferior FCS "student athlete's" are somehow managing to play in a real/true college football playoff as we speak.

I'm all for whatever system gives Syracuse the best chance to make it while still being extremely meaningful. 8 team playoff would be perfect, and the potential money involved will make this happen in a few years I'd imagine.

B1G, PAC and UCF being left out is just more kindling on the fire that will push for an 8-team setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom