Elephant in the room… | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Elephant in the room…

So you guys wanted the recruiter with no head coaching or coordinating experience and then expected him to be Dan Mullen on gameday? Some of you are delusional. It’s going to take some time. The talent on the field has improved drastically. Now Fran and the coaches need to get better game after game. I know Fran wants to win. That loss is only going to make him hungrier. People have to adjust their expectations.

You can talk about first-time head coach all you want, but Holy Cross -- a 1-3 team with a brand new head coach -- had the ball down 21-14 with 2:30 left in the 2nd quarter.

Sorry to be negative but the last two weeks have not been good. And our schedule gets exponentially more difficult from here on out.

You can talk about first-time head coach all you want, but Holy Cross -- a 1-3 team with a brand new head coach -- had the ball down 21-14 with 2:30 left in the 2nd quarter.

Sorry to be negative but the last two weeks have not been good. And our schedule gets exponentially more difficult from here on out.
You didn’t like the halftime adjustments the coaching staff made? I thought the adjustments worked out well on defense and good on offense. Isn’t that what we want from a HC and new staff?

The team looks unprepared and undisciplined, no matter how many years of experience the HC has or doesn't.
I don’t agree.

There were some mistakes of course but overall the team looks well coached and well organized.

Brown is doing a nice job.

Only thing I don’t like is going up 21-0 and not winning by 50. Optics matter. The fact holy cross was even “in the game” at 21-14 was kind of a joke to me. Respect the opponent but also trounce the opponent

Um what? I’ll have what you’re having
59 vast majority min protect no quick game pass plays plays and they got beat on 5 reps. No great, but not awful either.

Yesterday there was no attempt to get the ball out quick, very little use of motion or formations. It was very basic.

I have zero gripe with Fran. Been accountable and fine with clock management/in game decisions. That cannot be said for the last 2 coaches we had in here. My problems are with Erob and James Vollano.
Even E Rob has been ok. Basically pitched a shutout 2nd half of Stanford and GT very good.

I did not expect us to wax Ohio or HC.

No he’s not going to put a safety on the sideline last play of the game and he’s there was help.

Specials is bad but Dennaburg looked promising backing up Andre. He should have gotten the talk and wasn’t good last year. We play in a dome below average place kicking is not acceptable.

The advanced numbers back up what my eyes are seeing with our run game. I have little doubt that we are going to beat a good team or two just slinging it all over the place but it is going to be very hard to win games against real football teams (I, personally, do not think we have played one yet) if the rush game is that much of a negative. Especially on the road.

However much money Kyle McCord is getting paid to play for us, it should be more.

They blew the one coverage thats 35% of the yda they had all game.

Then they blew the option pass when it was not going to work if the DB does his simple job.

50% of yds on 2 plays. they avg 2 yds per play the rest of the game. Unless we were just going to live in their backfield with TFL that's pretty solid.

Hornsby and Tremble are exciting. 2 plays in a and you can see the twitch they bring. It would be interesting to see Tremble in spots because OG gets doubled, and he would not. Since he isn't RS maybe play him in some more parts of the passing game.

Fran is a first time head coach and he’s going to be learning on the job. And as disjointed as the team has looked at times, we’re still a last second FG from being 4-0.

Fran was known for his recruitment prowess but I think he’s done a great job with clock management and the 2 minute drill in general, and that’s important. And he’s done that right out of the gate.

Not every staff hire that he made first time out was going to be perfect. And I would bet that in a perfect world they would have upgraded the roster even more. What will be his measure as a HC is how he overcomes those things.

You didn’t like the halftime adjustments the coaching staff made? I thought the adjustments worked out well on defense and good on offense. Isn’t that what we want from a HC and new staff?
We scored 14 points in the second half, one on a pick six.

Defensively, sure -- it was better. Offensively, it was worse. You also forget our special teams are among the worst in college football.

Even E Rob has been ok. Basically pitched a shutout 2nd half of Stanford and GT very good.

I did not expect us to wax Ohio or HC.

No he’s not going to put a safety on the sideline last play of the game and he’s there was help.

Specials is bad but Dennaburg looked promising backing up Andre. He should have gotten the talk and wasn’t good last year. We play in a dome below average place kicking is not acceptable.
With Erob his tactics don’t make sense to me. He brings 3 knowing we struggle to generate any kind of pressure, and even when you’re dropping 8 back it’s difficult to defend receivers for that long, a good QB will carve it up. The best way to make up for a weak secondary is pressure. I’d like to see us blitz more and not ask our struggling secondary to defend for 4,5,6 seconds while their o line only has 3 to worry about. His unwillingness to change has frustrated me so far. The play before the 4th and 9 against Stanford we bring pressure and Daniels throws a bad ball setting up the 4th and 9. He struggled under pressure all night, so why not do it again? Why sit back, send weak help, and not just have a safety straight over the top shadowing 13 and make Daniels look elsewhere? The frustration with Erob is a lot of his mistakes have been situational and avoidable.

EDIT: Also are tackling has been some of the worst I’ve seen. Only team we consistently wrapped up against was Holy Cross.

With Erob his tactics don’t make sense to me. He brings 3 knowing we struggle to generate any kind of pressure, and even when you’re dropping 8 back it’s difficult to defend receivers for that long, a good QB will carve it up. The best way to make up for a weak secondary is pressure. I’d like to see us blitz more and not ask our struggling secondary to defend for 4,5,6 seconds while their o line only has 3 to worry about. His unwillingness to change has frustrated me so far. The play before the 4th and 9 against Stanford we bring pressure and Daniels throws a bad ball setting up the 4th and 9. He struggled under pressure all night, so why not do it again? Why sit back, send weak help, and not just have a safety straight over the top shadowing 13 and make Daniels look elsewhere? The frustration with Erob is a lot of his mistakes have been situational and avoidable.

EDIT: Also are tackling has been some of the worst I’ve seen. Only team we consistently wrapped up against was Holy Cross.

He blitzed yesterday, especially in third down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom