Elephant in the room time | Syracusefan.com

Elephant in the room time

elimunelson

Solvay Fanatic
Is anyone starting to think we've seen the final season of Jim Boeheim? I feel like everyone is tap dancing around it but if you put 2 and 2 together it seems like this could be it. I think reasonable people can look at our chances getting into the NCAA are no better than 50/50 but I feel like it would be a weird career ender to finish out in the NIT.

Is anyone starting to think we've seen the final season of Jim Boeheim? I feel like everyone is tap dancing around it but if you put 2 and 2 together it seems like this could be it. I think reasonable people can look at our chances getting into the NCAA are no better than 50/50 but I feel like it would be a weird career ender to finish out in the NIT.
Yes, and I've been saying it all year.

I'm 50/50 on it.

1) If we don't get in, then no way is this his last. Although there is no guarantee that next season will be more successful.

2) If we do get in and make some noise, then, quite possibly, it could be the right time.

3) Is JAB concerned about leaving Hop a half of cupboard.

4) I think JAB wants to go out on his terms. But, do we know what his terms are.

I'm 50/50 on it.

1) If we don't get in, then no way is this his last. Although there is no guarantee that next season will be more successful.

2) If we do get in and make some noise, then, quite possibly, it could be the right time.

4) I think JAB wants to go out on his terms. But, do we know what his terms are.

5)he doesn't want to coach against Jimmy Jr so he says. How does he get around that next year? I assume we are playing Cornell.

About time for this to be discussed.

Signed,
Rip Van Winkle

I just want 22-25 wins next year and for us to be in the top 25 again. Maybe it's time for Mike to take over so he can get his players as soon as possible.

I'm 50/50 on it.

1) I hard it hard to believe next year's team will be any better. In fact, it's shaping up to be one of the least talented rosters we've seen. The grad transfer market needs to be really, really good to us.
3) If that's the case, why has he basically stopped recruiting?
4) Yep. Who knows when that will be. Could be this year.

Sidibe signed his NLI, thinking JB will be the coach next year and then Hopkins in '18-19. JB would leave and put the signings of Sidibe and Brissett in jeopardy? I've been on the fence on what JB will do, but I find it hard to believe he'd screw those players and Hop like that. If JB leaves, our two signed players could get out of their NLI's, leaving a thin roster bone thin.

It would be really helpful for recruiting if JB would announce a timeline but he needs to seem in control, as others here have said. It's such a dicey situation and is hurting us a lot.

Sidibe signed his NLI, thinking JB will be the coach next year and then Hopkins in '18-19. JB would leave and put the signings of Sidibe and Brissett in jeopardy? I've been on the fence on what JB will do, but I find it hard to believe he'd screw those players and Hop like that. If JB leaves, our two signed players could get out of their NLI's, leaving a thin roster bone thin.

It would be really helpful for recruiting if JB would announce a timeline but he needs to seem in control, as others here have said. It's such a dicey situation and is hurting us a lot.

Out of curiousotu - because I've never seen it in writing before. Is it really automatic that players can get out of a NLI when a coach leaves/retires - or does the school have to be willing i release them? I imagine Hop releasing them given our pipeline with both would be automatic if that were the case?

Out of curiousotu - because I've never seen it in writing before. Is it really automatic that players can get out of a NLI when a coach leaves/retires - or does the school have to be willing i release them? I imagine Hop releasing them given our pipeline with both would be automatic if that were the case?
No it's not automatic but it's a common courtesy most schools will allow.

Yes. This is hurting recruiting tremendously. Can you imagine what other coaches say to the recruits?

One of the situations where the NCAA allows a player to get out of the NLI is a head coaching change. The school doesn't have to allow it but usually do that, since it's the right thing to do.

We have a great relationship with St. Benedict's, as you said, so I know we wouldn't want to burn that bridge. Speaking to their coach twice, they love Hop, so I'm not sure Sidibe would want out. In fact, I think there is a greater likelihood he'd still go to SU. I'm just saying it would be possible with him and Brissett and we couldn't afford to lose either. It would also be a jerky move by JB to bail after telling those kids he'd be here.

Not saying you're wrong, but I'm curious about what "2 and 2" you're putting together.

One of the situations where the NCAA allows a player to get out of the NLI is a head coaching change. The school doesn't have to allow it but usually do that, since it's the right thing to do.

We have a great relationship with St. Benedict's, as you said, so I know we wouldn't want to burn that bridge. Speaking to their coach twice, they love Hop, so I'm not sure Sidibe would want out. In fact, I think there is a greater likelihood he'd still go to SU. I'm just saying it would be possible with him and Brissett and we couldn't afford to lose either. It would also be a jerky move by JB to bail after telling those kids he'd be here.
Is he telling them that he would be here 1 year? That is enough for them to make their commitment? Seems thin.

He's back next year I think. This will allow him to move ahead of Knight to 2nd place behind Mike in wins and not have to be left hoping his 101 vacated wins get restored. Buddy Mike #1 and JB #2. Worth doing another year to achieve.

Another thought. In his past 40 seasons, he has never won the NIT. Nice challenge for this year and another major capture for his trophy case.

Is he telling them that he would be here 1 year? That is enough for them to make their commitment? Seems thin.

I interviewed Mark Taylor, Sidibe's coach. He said they are under the impression it will be JB next year and then Hop the following season. What is thin about that?

Not saying you're wrong, but I'm curious about what "2 and 2" you're putting together.

coaching against Jimmy coupled with his "i dont give a sh#t anymore" comment. It seems to be more caustic than usual for Boeheim. Also the whispers that he doesn't want to leave but Hopkins is ready to take over makes me think he may be finished w the drama. I don't think those 3 things are crazy conspiracy theories especially when talking about a 72 year old man.

I know nothing, i'm doing what everyone else does here, speculate. Feel free to kill those theories. I WANT him back next year. I'm an unabashed fan of his work but trying to be realistic here.

coaching against Jimmy coupled with his "i dont give a sh#t anymore" comment. It seems to be more caustic than usual for Boeheim. Also the whispers that he doesn't want to leave but Hopkins is ready to take over makes me think he may be finished w the drama. I don't think those 3 things are crazy conspiracy theories especially when talking about a 72 year old man.

I know nothing, i'm doing what everyone else does here, speculate. Feel free to kill those theories. I WANT him back next year. I'm an unabashed fan of his work but trying to be realistic here.

What does "coaching against Jimmy" refer to?

What does "coaching against Jimmy" refer to?
He doesn't want to coach against his son in a game. Thus, if he comes back Cornell won't be on the schedule the next year.

He doesn't want to coach against his son in a game. Thus, if he comes back Cornell won't be on the schedule the next year.
I thought Jimmy is a RS next year?

I think if he's back next year (and that seems likely), JB would continue to be vague about his retirement timeline. That way, no retirement tour.
Either way it's just getting weird now

Thanks. I've seen references to that. When did JB say that? I don't remember actually reading or hearing that quote, I've just seen it referred to on this board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom