Elephant in the room time | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Elephant in the room time

He doesn't want to coach against his son in a game. Thus, if he comes back Cornell won't be on the schedule the next year.

He can recuse himself. Let Mike do that game.

Sidibe signed his NLI, thinking JB will be the coach next year and then Hopkins in '18-19. JB would leave and put the signings of Sidibe and Brissett in jeopardy? I've been on the fence on what JB will do, but I find it hard to believe he'd screw those players and Hop like that. If JB leaves, our two signed players could get out of their NLI's, leaving a thin roster bone thin.

It would be really helpful for recruiting if JB would announce a timeline but he needs to seem in control, as others here have said. It's such a dicey situation and is hurting us a lot.
Whatever happens with JB, I would think those two have a good relationship with Hop and would honor their commitment. Hop is a players coach and is well respected by his peers and high school coaches. My point is, I think the players all love Hopkins and would not mind if he was their head coach. I know he is not JB, but that is my gut feeling.

To me, it is super important to keep those two guys committed because I think they are both way undervalued by recruiting experts. I expect minutes and contributions from both of them next season.

I interviewed Mark Taylor, Sidibe's coach. He said they are under the impression it will be JB next year and then Hop the following season. What is thin about that?
Most college players want to come and play for a coach for 4 years. I guess he falls into the 1 and done category.

Yes. This is hurting recruiting tremendously. Can you imagine what other coaches say to the recruits?

If the next head coach were not already on the staff and accessible to these recruits, I could see the point, which is valid. But I do not think it hurts over all. I feel like our biggest problem going into next season with this recruiting class is that the staff was big game hunting in hopes of capitalizing on the FF run, and whiffed.

As for this being JB's last season, despite what he told dan Patrick, I feel like he will make an announcement prior to his last season. Just my gut.

If the next head coach were not already on the staff and accessible to these recruits, I could see the point, which is valid. But I do not think it hurts over all. I feel like our biggest problem going into next season with this recruiting class is that the staff was big game hunting in hopes of capitalizing on the FF run, and whiffed.

As for this being JB's last season, despite what he told dan Patrick, I feel like he will make an announcement prior to his last season. Just my gut.
So Hop has to recruit against Cal, K, Self... even Danny Manning?

Most college players want to come and play for a coach for 4 years. I guess he falls into the 1 and done category.

That first sentence could be true but we have to hope we can bring in a few more players this off-season who only want to play for JB for just one year. Otherwise, we will really be up in bad shape.

That first sentence could be true but we have to hope we can bring in a few more players this off-season who only want to play for JB for just one year. Otherwise, we will really be up in bad shape.
That's why I think he should go all in on grad transfers. Make SU the destination for the top grad transfer.

That's why I think he should go all in on grad transfers. Make SU the destination for the top grad transfer.

That is not sustainable. You need guys who want to be part of this program for a few years. I don't know if he will ever be a star but someone like Matt Moyer, who will be a fixture of this program, is so important for stability. Can't keep having annual turnover. 5th year grad transfers are not like one-and-dones.

You don't think he has already been doing this for years? Especially after the sanctions came down?
What is going on here? You think we are waving a white flag when Hop takes over? I genuinely have no clue what you're trying to convey.
Look, Mike is a great Orangeman and I don't want to say bad things about him and I will be pulling for him 100%.

Look, Mike is a great Orangeman and I don't want to say bad things about him and I will be pulling for him 100%.

Is that why you dub yourself, "Voice of Reason?" ;)

Look, most of us have some trepidation about how the program will do under Hopkins. It's a sketchy time in this program. JB being so vague about what's going on is a huge issue and it is making the transition way less than seamless.

That is not sustainable. You need guys who want to be part of this program for a few years. I don't know if he will ever be a star but someone like Matt Moyer, who will be a fixture of this program, is so important for stability. Can't keep having annual turnover. 5th year grad transfers are not like one-and-dones.
It would be like building AAU or Olympic teams. I think there would be huge interest if that was the format. A player like Elijah Brown at New Mexico would think about it.

It would be like building AAU or Olympic teams. I think there would be huge interest if that was the format. A player like Elijah Brown at New Mexico would think about it.

It could work here and there, but again, it is not a long-term strategy. You need program guys. You need freshmen. A constant turnover of 5th year guys is very different from what Kentucky is doing. We might use some grad transfers to plug holes but we won't start getting 5th year guys as our "A" options. Never.

Well, we clearly haven't been able to compete against Dook, UK, Kansas, Zona, etc in the one-and-done market, so the Grad Transfer option is our next best thing.

We didn't get ANY of the ACC All-Freshman players this year, nor were we in the running for any of them, IIRC.
We DID get Uncle Drew - who outscored all of those guys.

Granted, he must leave after this year, vs some of those guys are likely to return, but some definitely are not.

The great thing about Grad Transfers is - you get to wait and see who else you were able to sign from HS, and who leaves early, before you have to commit to which ones you want to take.

And now, we have shown that these guys can come here and excel, so hopefully the top ones will consider us each year moving forward.

Well, we clearly haven't been able to compete against Dook, UK, Kansas, Zona, etc in the one-and-done market, so the Grad Transfer option is our next best thing.

We didn't get ANY of the ACC All-Freshman players this year, nor were we in the running for any of them, IIRC.
We DID get Uncle Drew - who outscored all of those guys.

Granted, he must leave after this year, vs some of those guys are likely to return, but some definitely are not.

The great thing about Grad Transfers is - you get to wait and see who else you were able to sign from HS, and who leaves early, before you have to commit to which ones you want to take.

And now, we have shown that these guys can come here and excel, so hopefully the top ones will consider us each year moving forward.

I have no problem getting one or two grad transfers here and there but they shouldn't be our first option. We can get plenty of great high school players who might not be top 25 national recruits.

It could work here and there, but again, it is not a long-term strategy. You need program guys. You need freshmen. A constant turnover of 5th year guys is very different from what Kentucky is doing. We might use some grad transfers to plug holes but we won't start getting 5th year guys as our "A" options. Never.

You also need to make the Tourney and have success there.

Guys can see Gillon and White put up numbers and play 40 minutes, but if we're NIT bound, it probably won't have a huge impact. Grad transfers who go to big name schools want to play AND also experience the postseason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom