Elijah Hughes | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Elijah Hughes

Battle was the only SG we pursued - he was our #1 guy from day 1. We had to make him feel like that too in order to steal him back from Meechigan.
So you're saying the "eggs in one basket" approach worked.

I guess that is the difference between us. I am not looking to blame anyone.
We have been medicore in the regular season the last 3 years and are staring a 4th year in a row.

I think that falls on the responsibility of the HC. This is a business right?

There is nothing to debate with you. The program is fine and the coaching staff has done fine right?

People can be objective and not drink the kool aid. I am patient with Dino Babers because the guy gives off confidence. I am bullish on Babers. JB has been mailing it on recruiting it appears these last few years and it appears he is finally reengaged.

People have a right to be worried about that.

I want to win and have no drama. That hasn't been happening so when appropriate I give criticism. When praise is warranted I give praise.

So you're saying the "eggs in one basket" approach worked.
No Battle's father worked.

We lost Battle to Michigan and then Gary Battle thank goodness got his son to flip.

I think the reason for the optimism about Hughes has less to do with what he actually brings to the team, and more to do with our need/hunger to bring someone in.

If the staff is struggling to bring in elite talent lately, they have no choice but to act excited about landing a kid like Hughes. Do you really think they'd admit that they took him because of a recruiting decline?

It's my opinion that many of the posters on this board are responding the same way. We all want the program to be successful, so we cheer on whom ever suits up in Orange.

I maintain that this is a settle, BUT that does not mean I don't want Hughes to succeed. Quite the opposite, we need him to...

So here's a very skeptical, "welcome Elijah!"

We have been medicore in the regular season the last 3 years and are staring a 4th year in a row.

I think that falls on the responsibility of the HC. This is a business right?

There is nothing to debate with you. The program is fine and the coaching staff has done fine right?

People can be objective and not drink the kool aid. I am patient with Dino Babers because the guy gives off confidence. I am bullish on Babers. JB has been mailing it on recruiting it appears these last few years and it appears he is finally reengaged.

People have a right to be worried about that.

I want to win and have no drama. That hasn't been happening so when appropriate I give criticism. When praise is warranted I give praise.

Read my signature line.

If you have the law, hammer the law. If you have the facts, hammer the facts. If you have neither the law nor the facts, hammer the table.

So far there's one side of the coin saying I hope he does well, but x, y, z. And the other side is: some fans are so miserable and ignorant. Trust the staff - this is the best thing that could have happened.

Like I said, grains of truth: I have 100% confidence that if RF said we had a great chance with Brunson, then we did. But we had a great enough chance with Green that if we changed direction there, everyone would have said "And Green was begging to come to Syracuse" "we had Green all but locked up" "done deal with Green and we spurned him for xx". It is just too easy to make up these fantasy scenarios in the past. Decisions get made, things happen. I had assumed that most adults knew this about the world. Regardless - the theroem is that we have recruited people with no or low bball skill level because they are tall and this remains completely false.

absolutely right. people will spin things either way. The only way to make everyone happy is to lock up every 5 star that is top 15 and then sign a few more as walk on's. I wish recruiting was as easy as some here seem to think

absolutely right. people will spin things either way. The only way to make everyone happy is to lock up every 5 star that is top 15 and then sign a few more as walk on's. I wish recruiting was as easy as some here seem to think
No one said recruiting isn't tough. Gets a lot tougher when you only recruit 25% of the country, and only players that "fit" your defense...

No Battle's father worked.

We lost Battle to Michigan and then Gary Battle thank goodness got his son to flip.

ha Ha. again no credit to the staff here but blame to the staff everywhere else. if fathers, mothers, handlers make the call despite "best recruiting efforts" I suppose your criticism needs to be curtailed a bit

ha Ha. again no credit to the staff here but blame to the staff everywhere else. if fathers, mothers, handlers make the call despite "best recruiting efforts" I suppose your criticism needs to be curtailed a bit
well yeah it doesn't count as a real commitment if a parent gets involved

No one said recruiting isn't tough. Gets a lot tougher when you only recruit 25% of the country, and only players that "fit" your defense...
How long has that formula worked for, and how successful has it been? Just a guess, but maybe you'll say the recruiting landscape is changing. I wouldn't disagree necessarily, but I'd like to know how exactly that affects us?

How long has that formula worked for, and how successful has it been? Just a guess, but maybe you'll say the recruiting landscape is changing. I wouldn't disagree necessarily, but I'd like to know how exactly that affects us?
We used to recruit California, Texas, Louisiana, Michigan... Don't know if you're too young to realize this... Also, didn't play 100% zone D either...

I give Mike Hopkins a ton of credit. He cultivated a great relationship with Gary Battle and he worked him after Tyus committed to Michigan.

Nobody ever doubted Mike Hopkins recruiting chops.

We used to recruit California, Texas, Louisiana, Michigan... Don't know if you're too young to realize this... Also, didn't play 100% zone D either...
I'm 44, I'd love to be too young, lol. Yes, I remember, but it was once in a while. We've pulled a handful of kids out of Michigan, a few out of Cali. I think it can still be done in primarily the NE, even with the zone.
I'm just on the side of, we've had a few down years for regular season/conference tourneys, for many different reasons and some misses because of judgement. That has me concerned a little, but not bridge jumping. If '18 is a bad cycle, then I'll be more than concerned.

I'm 44, I'd love to be too young, lol. Yes, I remember, but it was once in a while. We've pulled a handful of kids out of Michigan, a few out of Cali. I think it can still be done in primarily the NE, even with the zone.
I'm just on the side of, we've had a few down years for regular season/conference tourneys, for many different reasons and some misses because of judgement. That alone has me concerned a little, but not bridge jumping. If '18 is a bad cycle, then I'll be more than concerned.
I'm just worried that it may start to look like the Dion years were the outlier; since our NC, the struggling years are adding up...

I give Mike Hopkins a ton of credit. He cultivated a great relationship with Gary Battle and he worked him after Tyus committed to Michigan.

Nobody ever doubted Mike Hopkins recruiting chops.

Convenient argument to praise Hop for good things and critique Jimmy and Gerry for bad. Everyone gets your act

Convenient argument to praise Hop for good things and critique Jimmy and Gerry for bad. Everyone gets your act
lol my act. I was going to take a shot back at you but I looked at your post count and don't need to waste it on you.
The opinion that JB has been off his game in recruiting the last year before Hop left is fair game.

Sorry you don't like hearing that.

Also sorry I don't think GMac has done a good job with the top 10 assistant job he was given with no experience. Hop earned his praise because he was a great recruiter. GMac hasn't gotten it done yet. He doesn't get the praise that Hop earned.

Sorry I am not a homer and I am objective. Go get your shine box.

I can debate and support every opinion I give. Sorry I am not a fanboy.

lol my act. I was going to take a shot back at you but I looked at your post count and don't need to waste it on you.
The opinion that JB has been off his game in recruiting the last year before Hop left is fair game.

Also sorry I don't think GMac has done a good job with the top 10 assistant job he was given with no experience.

hop was given the same job. As was Jb for that matter.

Also sorry I don't think GMac has done a good job with the top 10 assistant job he was given with no experience. Hop earned his praise because he was a great recruiter. GMac hasn't gotten it done yet. He doesn't get the praise that Hop earned.

Why do you keep trying to spin this GMac no experience thing and handed a job? He was a grad asst for 2 years with on the court coaching. When fine was booted GMac was promoted as the interim asst coach. He must have showed enough those 3 years for jb to remove the interim tag. It's how most #3 assts start.

Last edited:
Why do you keep trying to spin this GMac no experience thing and handed a job? He was a grad asst for 2 years and on the court coaching. When fine was booted GMac was promoted as the interim asst coach. He must have showed enough those 3 years for jb to remove the interim tag. It's how most #3 assts start.
Hey Bees maybe you can talk to JB to see if you can get Alsacs a recruiting gig for SU since he knows exactly what we need and can get everyone with no problems (payoffs, cars, etc.).

Why do you keep trying to spin this GMac no experience thing and handed a job? He was a grad asst for 2 years and on the court coaching. When fine was booted GMac was promoted as the interim asst coach. He must have showed enough those 3 years for jb to remove the interim tag. It's how most #3 assts start.
And as I pointed out, that is exactly how Hop got his job and jb as well.