Elijah Hughes | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Elijah Hughes

lol my act. I was going to take a shot back at you but I looked at your post count and don't need to waste it on you.
The opinion that JB has been off his game in recruiting the last year before Hop left is fair game.

Sorry you don't like hearing that.

Also sorry I don't think GMac has done a good job with the top 10 assistant job he was given with no experience. Hop earned his praise because he was a great recruiter. GMac hasn't gotten it done yet. He doesn't get the praise that Hop earned.

Sorry I am not a homer and I am objective. Go get your shine box.

I can debate and support every opinion I give. Sorry I am not a fanboy.

But that's just it, you are the ultimate homer. You can't even see straight because you can't believe the program is not giving you what you think you deserve. You can't imagine there is competition from outside for players or that there are considerations you don't know enough about to be aware of. You act like a baby who doesn't get the candy they want. So funny that with all your posts here you revel in this imaginary world where you are not a homer!

Time for a Hughes derailment thread. Every recruiting thread becomes a pissing match between people over the state of the program. I can't understand why people can't take this crap to a single thread in the main board. I want to read about the actual recruit this thread used to be about. The discussion in here is actually pretty interesting but it really doesn't belong here. It happens on every thread. Rant over sorry.

Time for a Hughes derailment thread. Every recruiting thread becomes a pissing match between people over the state of the program. I can't understand why people can't take this crap to a single thread in the main board. I want to read about the actual recruit this thread used to be about. The discussion in here is actually pretty interesting but it really doesn't belong here. It happens on every thread. Rant over sorry.
I was going to post a few clip "finds" by me but the sifting...then I found jordville who beat me by a country mile ;) thanks.
Class of 2017 - G Elijah Hughes (ECU) Committed to Syracuse

Hey Bees maybe you can talk to JB to see if you can get Alsacs a recruiting gig for SU since he knows exactly what we need and can get everyone with no problems (payoffs, cars, etc.).
This is going to get good

Hey Bees maybe you can talk to JB to see if you can get Alsacs a recruiting gig for SU since he knows exactly what we need and can get everyone with no problems (payoffs, cars, etc.).
yeah okay buddy.
I admit I get plenty wrong. I am not afraid to admit I get wrong. I just don't live in an echo chamber and fail to criticize when it's appropriate.

There is plenty to be worried about right now.

I hope Hughes proves me wrong.
If he does I will say I was wrong.

Last edited:
Alsacs, while I agree that the issues you mention are completely reasonable, people probably don't like hearing it repeated time and time again, I think the better approach would be to just state it once and then tell people to go eat crow once you're proven correct, just a thought.

Alsacs, while I agree that the issues you mention are completely reasonable, people probably don't like hearing it repeated time and time again, I think the better approach would be to just state it once and then tell people to go eat crow once you're proven correct, just a thought.
Fair enough. I respond a lot better to these type of statements.

Over you should be an assistant coach because you think you know all. I never act like my opinion is the only one that is right. I can respect what I disagree with.

No it isn't I am not going to waste time with stuff like I should be an assistant.

I don't care for that. My criticism is always within reason. I give props just as much as criticism.

People want homerism. I don't do that.
With respect, I don't think people want homerism as much as they don't want to be inundated with negativity. It's exhausting and I have that stuff all around me all day every day, just like most of us. I come here as long as I don't feel worse when I leave than I did when I logged in. Lately, it's been close. It's like being in a room with kids arguing constantly and who wants or needs that, no matter how you justify it.

One the actual subject of Hughes...I think he'd be a GREAT add if we were in a favorable position, obviously we aren't so I can understand why people are questioning using a scholarship on a guy that can't play this season. Also I haven't been around that long but has anyone mentioned that Frank Howard could potentially leave as a grad transfer next season? Maybe his academic timeline doesn't match up but say we bring in a guy like Thorpe who IMO is a day one starter and seems to be the type of PERSON that I want on the team I support, he also has nice length and has a nice skill set that gives us two proven talents on the ball from the guard position. I'm not completely writing FH off but I can't see him getting the amount of time that he thinks he would deserve and I feel it's completely possible for him to leave which opens up another scholarship.

With respect, I don't think people want homerism as much as they don't want to be inundated with negativity. It's exhausting and I have that stuff all around me all day every day, just like most of us. I come here as long as I don't feel worse when I leave than I did when I logged in. Lately, it's been close. It's like being in a room with kids arguing constantly and who wants or needs that, no matter how you justify it.
I don't want to be negative.

I hope Hughes is better than the stats that scared me off state.
He could be worth the gamble. I see him as a gamble. I wish the program could afford to gamble but with scholarship limit it scares me.

My criticism are always within a point.
I thought we were getting Tucker the whole time till Duke came along.

Their are people who are universal negative that isn't me. I do clash with the universal homers if they can't take legit criticism though.

I don't want to be negative.

I hope Hughes is better than the stats that scared me off state.
He could be worth the gamble. I see him as a gamble. I wish the program could afford to gamble but with scholarship limit it scares me.

My criticism are always within a point.
I thought we were getting Tucker the whole time till Duke came along.

Their are people who are universal negative that isn't me. I do clash with the universal homers if they can't take legit criticism though.
People need acknowledge that he shot 31% in AAC play. Those are Ron Patterson type numbers. I am really worried about the shooting in the next two years.

I'm willing to trust the staffs opinion of him, and assume he will be a help down the road.

The reason I don't like the signing is I feel like we still need big help next season and offering a ship to Hughes means we're down to a max of two more guys that can come in and be a help next year.

lol my act. I was going to take a shot back at you but I looked at your post count and don't need to waste it on you.
The opinion that JB has been off his game in recruiting the last year before Hop left is fair game.

Also sorry I don't think GMac has done a good job with the top 10 assistant job he was given with no experience. Hop earned his praise because he was a great recruiter. GMac hasn't gotten it done yet. He doesn't get the praise that Hop earned.

Oh no the famous post count response. Posting more here does not make you a more knowledgeable fan or an expert. Simply means you have more time on your hands. Fanboy stuff is real original. You might want to try and coin your own phrase instead of riding someone's coattails. We get it you don't like GMAC and you don't like Jimmy. You like Hop and he couldn't do any wrong. Your post count might be lower if instead of saying the same thing 8,000 times you said it once and moved on. probably not your style though

cuse!

absolutely right. people will spin things either way. The only way to make everyone happy is to lock up every 5 star that is top 15 and then sign a few more as walk on's. I wish recruiting was as easy as some here seem to think

Absolutely WRONG, Cuseball.

That is a completely misinformed take on what was being discussed.

Oh no the famous post count response. Posting more here does not make you a more knowledgeable fan or an expert. Simply means you have more time on your hands. Fanboy stuff is real original. You might want to try and coin your own phrase instead of riding someone's coattails. We get it you don't like GMAC and you don't like Jimmy. You like Hop and he couldn't do any wrong. Your post count might be lower if instead of saying the same thing 8,000 times you said it once and moved on. probably not your style though

cuse!
Thanks boss have a good night.

People need acknowledge that he shot 31% in AAC play. Those are Ron Patterson type numbers. I am really worried about the shooting in the next two years.
I have heard from numerous, and I mean numerous different sources, that the kid is a great shooter. The numbers are what the numbers are. 31% isn't very good. But I can't tell you how many different people have told me that the kid is a real player and a real good shooter. From deep too. Time will tell. But it really has been stunning to me that so many people that saw this kid just two years ago said that this kid will be a player for us.

hey maybe take a few posts off champ...

I don't think it's homerism to be optimistic, anymore than I think it's negative to point out that this class is not as strong as what we usually land, and that there have been blunders made.

Why oh why is that such a hard concept to understand? We are fans of the same team and we treat each other like crap. It's sad really.

I love that Waters' commitment article mentions that Moyer was in constant contact with Hughes, telling him to come to SU. Not surprising in the least, but good stuff once again from MM.

It's so good that we will have two pairs of high school teammates on the team. Chemistry should be solid.

Last edited:
I agree with the the gamble idea. If we had full scholarships available and were looking to fill our final spot with someone we think might make a big jump this wouldn't be really be much news. But we keep missing out on our main targets.

We used to recruit California, Texas, Louisiana, Michigan... Don't know if you're too young to realize this... Also, didn't play 100% zone D either...

Recruiting was a different game in those days when the Big East and SU were getting the Lions share of the media attention devoted to college basketball. Exposure has become more evenly dispersed in the last 15 - 20 years and that is one big factor that has helped change how we recruit.