Elijah Hughes | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Elijah Hughes

I don't know what to think of this. We are short on scholarships but are willing to entertain taking on a a guy who'll have to sit out a year? What does this say about the confidence we have in landing our top targets?

I like the guy's size, but I just don't see the match right now. I want to be excited, but truth be told I'm not.

Honestly I like this. Kid can really play and I thought he was really underrated coming out of high school. He has the size the coaches look for, a smooth athlete and can shoot it. Fits our system really well and think he would kill it here.

I have said a number of times over recent years that we should be looking at regular transfers as I feel it is a great strategy. I really like this approach and the continuity it can build in the program. Players come in and learn the system, get bigger, stronger, practice against good competition and improve their game. They are more physically and mentally ready to play offensively as well as defensively in the zone having learned it for the last year. Your getting a kid that will be a defacto junior but is listed as a RS Soph.

That said, its a bit of an interesting time to be looking to taking one given where we are in recruiting, scholarships and, who were pursuing. And, we do need some players who can step in and help right now. Maybe JB thinks we have that or that we are in good shape to get what we need for next year? It will most defiantly be interesting to see if we offer and how it plays out

Are we actually the leader for any "elite" 2018 prospects ? If not, maybe the bird in hand approach would be a way to go to build a solid class foundation & then just swing for the fences with the last open scholie.

Judging by how our recruiting has gone the last few seasons, it appears we are no longer being viewed as an elite destination by recruits. I am all for building solid foundations for the time being.

I knew that somebody was going to post this type of response. Yes, we are in very good shape with several top 2018 prospects. The bigger question / issue is: how many open scholarships will we have? Could be as many as 3-4, or as few as 1.

Okay, let's figure this out. 8 scholarships taken, no seniors. Assuming we add 2 guys plus Hughes, that will bring us to 11. Have to assume Battle is done after this year. Getting one scholarship back, that means we'd have room for 2 players in '18. Not ideal IMO but I guess the thought is there will be other exits.

This is odd. I don't believe he was heavily recruited, though may be more of a late bloomer. His next best offer was Iona, perhaps. His shooting numbers are mostly bad, but he is the size JB wants.

I'd much rather go after higher ranked HS kids, especially those considering good shooters. This just seems like a move to add a kid now to have in the program.

Why not at least take a look. Also if he's friends with MM...I think we at least owe him to at least take a look, then say yes or no.

Even with this guy, if nobody leaves we have 3 open ships for next class. If Battle leaves (pretty much a certainty) we have 4 open ships for 2018 class. We have plenty of ships. What we don't have are elite top 50 kids signing up.
Hey if you can't compete, step down in class. Hope that's not what's happening.

If Battle leaves (pretty much a certainty) we have 4 open ships for 2018 class. We have plenty of ships.
Are you assuming that they sign no one else for 2017 and run an ACC D1 team with 8 scholarship players?

Even with this guy, if nobody leaves we have 3 open ships for next class. If Battle leaves (pretty much a certainty) we have 4 open ships for 2018 class. We have plenty of ships. What we don't have are elite top 50 kids signing up.
We had one bad year in recruiting caused by one player and coaches...this won't be the norm. We will certainly still attract top 50 talent in the future...

You're not factoring in adding two other '17 guys.

My complete guess is this is more of him just going to hang out with Moyer for a weekend and maybe meet the staff. I doubt we have serious interest at this point.

Obviously could be wayyy off.

Okay, let's figure this out. 8 scholarships taken, no seniors. Assuming we add 2 guys plus Hughes, that will bring us to 11. Have to assume Battle is done after this year. Getting one scholarship back, that means we'd have room for 2 players in '18. Not ideal IMO but I guess the thought is there will be other exits.

Let's assume that Battle departs. That gives us 2 to work with.

Need to add an elite lead guard in the class of 2018, and at least one wing. Wing could be a 2 or a 3, or someone capable of landing both.

My preference would be to have three open slots, add a 1, 2, and 3 to go along with the bigs we added in 2017 [plus Moyer], and call it a day.

My complete guess is this is more of him just going to hang out with Moyer for a weekend and maybe meet the staff. I doubt we have serious interest at this point.

Obviously could be wayyy off.

The 16th is the Tuesday after graduation. This is a business trip. There's no one on campus except the few straggling seniors who are still packing up and saying their final goodbyes.

Need to add an elite lead guard in the class of 2018, and at least one wing. Wing could be a 2 or a 3, or someone capable of landing both.

My preference would be to have three open slots, add a 1, 2, and 3 to go along with the bigs we added in 2017 [plus Moyer], and call it a day.

Spot on. I love the idea of a developmental guy like this but only with all 13 scholarships available. Of course, we are all counting our chickens before they're hatched but that's what we do.

I'd love to get a great '18 guard and forward and then a wildcard...maybe even a big if it turns out we can lock in someone like Cockburn or the like.

Are you assuming that they sign no one else for 2017 and run an ACC D1 team with 8 scholarship players?
If we get Tucker just subtract 1. Still have 3 for 2018. If TT leaves then back up to 4.

+1
But, add Shittu if at all possible...

+1
But, add Shittu if at all possible...

...which brings me full circle to the point I was making above, we seem to be involved and in good position with an inordinate amount of quality recruits in the class of 2018 -- many of which we are in very solid position to land. The problem is, our demand [and team needs] outweighs our supply of open scholarships.

Too bad the 2017 / 2018 numbers weren't flipped, and we were in position to bring in a bigger class NEXT season.

But to Iommi's point above, absolutely have to land a top flight PG. Must get. And given depth considerations [and Battle's likely departure], we might need to replenish depth at BOTH wing spots. Would suck to only have two open scholarships in that scenario.

But hopefully we land somebody like Ayala, who could slot in for Battle in his second year, and alleviate the need to bring in a starting caliber 2 in 2018.