Elijah Hughes | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Elijah Hughes

...which brings me full circle to the point I was making above, we seem to be involved and in good position with an inordinate amount of quality recruits in the class of 2018 -- many of which we are in very solid position to land. The problem is, our demand [and team needs] outweighs our supply of open scholarships.

Too bad the 2017 / 2018 numbers weren't flipped, and we were in position to bring in a bigger class NEXT season.

But to Iommi's point above, absolutely have to land a top flight PG. Must get. And given depth considerations [and Battle's likely departure], we might need to replenish depth at BOTH wing spots. Would suck to only have two open scholarships in that scenario.

But hopefully we land somebody like Ayala, who could slot in for Battle in his second year, and alleviate the need to bring in a starting caliber 2 in 2018.
Wouldn't mind some shuffling of the roster to make room for guys like Simi too...

...which brings me full circle to the point I was making above, we seem to be involved and in good position with an inordinate amount of quality recruits in the class of 2018 -- many of which we are in very solid position to land. The problem is, our demand [and team needs] outweighs our supply of open scholarships.

Too bad the 2017 / 2018 numbers weren't flipped, and we were in position to bring in a bigger class NEXT season.

But to Iommi's point above, absolutely have to land a top flight PG. Must get. And given depth considerations [and Battle's likely departure], we might need to replenish depth at BOTH wing spots. Would suck to only have two open scholarships in that scenario.

But hopefully we land somebody like Ayala, who could slot in for Battle in his second year, and alleviate the need to bring in a starting caliber 2 in 2018.

...all of which shines more light on why Ayala and Tucker are ideal this year. Ayala is versatile and would help at the 1 & 2. Recent reports have been glowing regarding his ability to be a floor general. Tucker would give us the shooter we need and plug in at the 3.

I like what Hughes can be down the road. I'm guessing Moyer really raved about him and the staff liked him when they watched Moyer his senior year at South Kent.

I knew that somebody was going to post this type of response. Yes, we are in very good shape with several top 2018 prospects. The bigger question / issue is: how many open scholarships will we have? Could be as many as 3-4, or as few as 1.

What do you think of Sid Wilson? I really like him. Better than the Jones kid from FL. Better athlete. I think Wilson can play both the 3 and 2 here. I know the staff has been on him lately which is real good.

Move on from Ayala and focus on '18 wings.
You have had decent info while posting. Is this your opinion or something you have heard recently?

Honestly I like this. Kid can really play and I thought he was really underrated coming out of high school. He has the size the coaches look for, a smooth athlete and can shoot it. Fits our system really well and think he would kill it here.
I thought he looked pretty good on tape too. When was the last time you've seen a shooting guard with several blocked shots featured in his highlight tape? Kid would be a terror at the top of the zone.

Has it really come to the point where we're recruiting a kid who averaged 8 points and 2 rebounds while shooting under 35%fg/27% from 3 at East Carolina?
Yes, there is a big elephant sitting in the corner. Maybe he goes to Seton Hall because he isn't good enough to play for us. Considering some of our coaches saw him play in high school, maybe they felt strong enough to bring him in. If you look at his stats from this past season that arguably his best two games were the last two games of the year. Maybe he is someone who they feel can develop in two years. Plus his hometown is listed as Beacon, NY so maybe he wants to come back and can get the hardship waiver.

Hopefully we know more in the next two weeks on what is happening next season (not that it would directly affect this kid since he is sitting out next year any how, unless he gets it waived.).

We've already offered 20 kids for 2018. When has Syracuse ever offered 20 kids in one year. I guess they learned their lesson by pinning their hopes all on one kid. We all know we need good four year kids like Cooney, like Triche, like Scoop on the roster. Maybe this kid is one of them.

Last year's stats:
Elijah Hughes

Article when he transferred to South Kent:
Elijah Hughes leaves Kennedy for South Kent

Has it been said anywhere that we have offered?

The report that he is visiting comes from Zagoria, right? Anyone else? The Syracuse.com piece is just attributing Zagoria for the information.

Has it been said anywhere that we have offered?

The report that he is visiting comes from Zagoria, right? Anyone else? The Syracuse.com piece is just attributing Zagoria for the information.

No offer from SU has been reported.

I hate the idea of shutting out someone in 2018 for this kid. It's one thing if he struggled at a P5, but he didn't produce as a freshman at ECU.

I hate the idea of shutting out someone in 2018 for this kid. It's one thing if he struggled at a P5, but he didn't produce as a freshman at ECU.

I agree but after another year he might not be "this kid." He might be a lot better. I think we can develop him, unlike Chukwu. This is a guard with talent and ability.

I agree but after another year he might not be "this kid." He might be a lot better. I think we can develop him, unlike Chukwu. This is a guard with talent and ability.
If this kid does join the program, I think it's evidence of JB doubling down on the Zone. He wants the Silent G/MCW types up top. There goes my dream of 3 guard man to man...

Yeah I hear you. Our staff must really think they have something here because his other interest is Iona and Seton Hall. That doesn't scream elite transfer to me.

Maybe we aren't confident in Swider or Jones. I want to start feeling good about recruiting again. This doesn't do that.

If this kid does join the program, I think it's evidence of JB doubling down on the Zone. He wants the Silent G/MCW types up top. There goes my dream of 3 guard man to man...

Your dream should've ended around 2009 or 2010. Nothing wrong with Silent G/ MCW types...but yeah, wish there was some flexibility with the defenses. He's just allegedly visiting. We are just assuming we are landing him.

jury's still out on that being ACC-level, IMO. he didn't do much at ECU and the initial interest is from Syracuse because he's a tall SG and ... Seton Hall - who is involved, at some point, with every prospect from the NY/NJ/CT area.

I find it an odd target.

What do you think of Sid Wilson? I really like him. Better than the Jones kid from FL. Better athlete. I think Wilson can play both the 3 and 2 here. I know the staff has been on him lately which is real good.
Not familiar with his game [beyond the recruiting profile]. Sorry -- no insight. Someone I should check out?

Your dream should've ended around 2009 or 2010. Nothing wrong with Silent G/ MCW types...but yeah, wish there was some flexibility with the defenses. He's just allegedly visiting. We are just assuming we are landing him.
I would take him. After his RS; Battle is gone, TT is gone, Chukwa is gone... Imo...

7.8 ppg in 20 minutes.
In other words, he averaged about 14 point per 35 minutes. As a frosh. In a decent league. I'd not get overly caught up in his 3pt%. Most frosh struggle there. But I personally liked his stroke and loved his athleticism. Plus, he'll be physically mature for his position. If he wants in, sign him as far as I am concerned.