Elijah Hughes | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Elijah Hughes

If you guys are so desperate to add a guy, and want to take a gamble on a project or program guy, why not offer Nahz over this guy?

Nahz is eligible to play right away, appears to be equally athletic, and both lack a jump shot. Nahz is Jay-Z's nephew. Hughes is a ECU/Iona recruit.

I'm not particularly sold on Nahz either, but he's three stars and offers a marketing edge that Hughes cannot. How can you want Hughes and not want Nahz? I'm curious as to the rationale?

Maybe the coaches think Hughes is a better player, and aren't as focused on the off-court criteria? :noidea:

I know I'm emotional about this right now, and might feel differently down the line. I'm a die hard fan of over 40 years.

I could've probably put together a highlight tape of my own that would've looked as good as Hughes back in my prime. And believe me, I was not the caliber of player that could have played at SU. Highlight tapes are just that... they purposely make you look good.

You can call me negative or tell me I'm wrong all you want. But you can't say I don't care passionately about this team.

Boeheim is 72+
We are coming off an NIT season.
We lost Quade to Kentucky.

If we lose Ayala and Tucker I'm going to be disappointed as a fan. 2017 is pivotal. But if beating out the likes of ECU and Iona for an unheralded recruit makes you beat your chest and feel better... go for it.

I could've probably put together a highlight tape of my own that would've looked as good as Hughes back in my prime.
The little credibility you had left was lost with this statement. Oh really? You could have stolen a pass from D1 competition and sprinted down court and elevated for a slam dunk? Okay.

Not sure if many have watched this tape on him. I agree with much that has been posted on here, with the way we stand right now it makes no sense to take hughes. But If we can finish this class off with Tucker and ayala or another guard option then bringing this kid in doesn't seem like such a bad idea. He put on a good 20 to 25 lbs from highschool to freshman year of college. He has the size and ball handling skills and from this video (looks like one of his better games obviously) he looked great shooting the ball from deep. I think the coaches know the tools are there especially seeing as tho he didn't have the exposure or put 100% into basketball coming out of highschool...a year in our system playing with our guys and learning from our staff and this kid could wind up being a absolute diamond in the rough that no one figured out except our coaches...now that's speaking way prematurely and maybe he doesn't even get a offer but we certainly aren't hurting anything by at least having him come for a visit. Maybe nothing even comes of it? But thought I'd share this game highlights because you can definitely see a talented player that has all the intangible that we look for.

The little credibility you had left was lost with this statement. Oh really? You could have stolen a pass from D1 competition and sprinted down court and elevated for a slam dunk? Okay.

I don't care what you think of me. I don't post on this board for popularity or followers. I don't even need to dignify this comment with a response. You know nothing about me... that's probably a good thing.

If you guys are so desperate to add a guy, and want to take a gamble on a project or program guy, why not offer Nahz over this guy?

Nahz is eligible to play right away, appears to be equally athletic, and both lack a jump shot. Nahz is Jay-Z's nephew. Hughes is a ECU/Iona recruit.

I'm not particularly sold on Nahz either, but he's three stars and offers a marketing edge that Hughes cannot. How can you want Hughes and not want Nahz? I'm curious as to the rationale?
One post you're saying we don't have enough scholarships to waste on Hughes, then the next you're recommending offering Carter even though you admit you're not sold on him.

What does Jay-Z have to do with anything? I get he's his uncle, but does that mean anything? Do you know that they're close? Has Jay-Z ever been to Rochester to see him play? Jay-Z is the type of celebrity that wouldn't get caught in Upstate NY. This isn't Lebron and Drake in the Kentucky locker room, this is Jay-Z being related, and we don't even know how close they are, to a recruit. And you think we should offer him because other recruits would want to play with Jay-Z's nephew. okay.

One post you're saying we don't have enough scholarships to waste on Hughes, then the next you're recommending offering Carter even though you admit you're not sold on him.

What does Jay-Z have to do with anything? I get he's his uncle, but does that mean anything? Do you know that they're close? Has Jay-Z ever been to Rochester to see him play? Jay-Z is the type of celebrity that wouldn't get caught in Upstate NY. This isn't Lebron and Drake in the Kentucky locker room, this is Jay-Z being related, and we don't even know how close they are, to a recruit. And you think we should offer him because other recruits would want to play with Jay-Z's nephew. okay.

I really don't feed the need to defend myself anymore. I don't give two hoots what anyone thinks of me. I know who I am, and what type of fan I am.

My question to you is why do you care so much about what I think? Do you get paid by the staff? Are you JB? Obviously I'm being sarcastic... but seriously dude. Let it go. I don't like either one all that much. If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick Nahz. That's not an endorsement. Go sell someone else.

If we are being honest here people are skeptical because much of the same was said about Chukwu, Buss, and BJ and none of those guys turned into players for us. Past events don't always predict the future, but I would gather that is why people are skeptical. Not to mention 2/3rd's of the conference is recruiting better than us right now. It is cause for concern.

I really don't feed the need to defend myself anymore. I don't give two hoots what anyone thinks of me. I know who I am, and what type of fan I am.

My question to you is why do you care so much about what I think? Do you get paid by the staff? Are you JB? Obviously I'm being sarcastic... but seriously dude. Let it go. I don't like either one all that much. If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick Nahz. That's not an endorsement. Go sell someone else.
You've been saying you don't need to defend yourself, yet you've posted almost 20 times in the past 2-3 pages about this.

I don't care what you think of me. I don't post on this board for popularity or followers. I don't even need to dignify this comment with a response. You know nothing about me... that's probably a good thing.
I think you're taking this internet fan forum a little too personally. Relax dude.

You've been saying you don't need to defend yourself, yet you've posted almost 20 times in the past 2-3 pages about this.

Perhaps that's because guys like you don't leave it alone even when asked to do so. I don't need to be right, but I will not be told that I'm wrong about my opinion. I don't care what you think. You can think Hughes is a 5 star caliber player if you want to. Rock those pom poms! We might steal Hughes from ECU, Seton Hall and Iona!!! Yippee!

I think you're taking this internet fan forum a little too personally. Relax dude.
I could make the same claim about you. Why do people have such a need to be right all the time? I could care less.

Just like after the 2007 and 2008 NIT seasons happened, we had a terrible recruiting cycle over two years:

2010: Fab Melo, Dion Waiters, CJ Fair, Baye Keita
2011: Rakeem Christmas, Trevor Cooney, Michael Carter-Williams
Things are a wee bit different now.

One, another NIT will make 4 straight seasons of mediocre or bad regular seasons with missing the NCAA in 3/4.

JB will be 73 early in the season and could walk away at any point. That uncertainty will always be there until JB no longer is.

We're already having some issues with recruiting, which may be changing (hopefully), but we haven't exactly been killing it lately.

I have never seen Elijah Hughes play, and I'm guessing most people here have not. I only know this, Boeheim has a phenomenal record of bringing in productive transfers. Other than Chukwu, who we only have a small 7 game sample of, I can't think of a transfer he missed on.

We should give Boeheim the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I can imagine a scenario where Ayala stays in '18 and we bring in a 5th year transfer capable of playing 30 minutes a game at point next year. Because of this, Howard transfers. Battle then averages 20ppg next year and goes pro. Hardly the least likely scenario. In that situation, we only have Washington at guard next year, and having a junior (age wise) Elijah Hughes who spent a year practicing in our system would be invaluable.

Perhaps Boheim is recruiting Hughes to cover this exact situation.

I have never seen Elijah Hughes play, and I'm guessing most people here have not. I only know this, Boeheim has a phenomenal record of bringing in productive transfers. Other than Chukwu, who we only have a small 7 game sample of, I can't think of a transfer he missed on.

I can imagine a scenario where Ayala stays in '18 and we bring in a 5th year transfer capable of playing 30 minutes a game at point next year. Because of this, Howard transfers. Battle then averages 20ppg next year and goes pro. Hardly the least likely scenario. In that situation, we only have Washington at guard next year, and having a junior (age wise) Elijah Hughes who spent a year practicing in our system would be invaluable.

At least this is a constructive post. I don't agree with it completely but this is the type of post that I enjoy reading... different viewpoint from my own without being condescending. Thumbs up to you!

I agree with this as the reason they are looking at it. I also think this scenario isn't far fetched. I have never seen Hughes play and don't remember watching him before so I can't speak on his game. All I would say is that I really like Antwann Jones and choose to believe we can get a point guard like Carey in '18. If Ayala doesn't reclassify he isn't coming here period imo and I would think that has to play out before we offer Hughes. I just don't understand why we don't offer Jones and see if we get the quick commit from him. Unless they believe Hughes is better than Jones. If we had Jones we could then go after Williams, Carey or some other elite PG and have Washington already. That to me would open us up to go after a shooter like Swider or similar. Also if Buddy is coming in '18 he doesn't take a spot, something to consider.

Things are a wee bit different now.

One, another NIT will make 4 straight seasons of mediocre or bad regular seasons with missing the NCAA in 3/4.

JB will be 73 early in the season and could walk away at any point. That uncertainty will always be there until JB no longer is.

We're already having some issues with recruiting, which may be changing (hopefully), but we haven't exactly been killing it lately.

I think your post is the gist of it. I'm not even worried about JB's remaining tenure here. Syracuse just can't continue to have mediocre/bad regular seasons which culminate with NIT berths. Recruits won't sign up for that. If no Tucker/Ayala then I think it could be a losing record type scenario. The F4 run and drafted players recently is nice but, imo, consistent good performance on the court trumps all that. Right now that is not close to happening. Gotta get recruits which will help turn things around in the regular season. Lack of F4s recently hasn't hurt Kansas, Arizona, Miami, etc. Their recruiting is very good and they reload after sudden departures (not so much Miami).

I think that if the team is NIT this coming season or, god forbid a losing record, then Wildhack will pull the plug on Boeheim. I mean I would expect him to. Not even sure how you justify the opposite. It would just be time to go after an amazing career for a guy who truly built a program and brand. I think it could be a benefit as well. There is no way in hell I believe that GMac or Autry would be the next HC. I expect a search to be executed and a proven younger coach at the mid-major level or higher to get the gig. I think the new coach would rejuvenate the brand and style of play assuming things get worse than better in the near future where this move would be absolutely necessary.

Getting Tucker is huge in so many aspects. It's an immediate need to the roster where major minutes are available. It also would prove to me that the kid believes what JB is selling and sees the program ascending in the direction we hope it will.

Last edited:
I don't think Hughes played AAU basketball while he was in HS, so that definitely could have dampened his exposure. Some players take longer to develop, he was a multi-sport athlete in HS. Look at how Nichols and Southerland developed into very good shooters with 1-2 years of focus. He's a great athlete, and at 6'6, the staff thinks he can be a more skilled and more coordinated Southerland.

Judging one year of freshman stats isn't the best approach. Mike Gbinije average 1.7 ppg as a freshman, should we have said no "Gbinije??? Really???" to him back then?

1) Comparing Nichols and Southerland to Hughes from a shooting standpoint is crazy. Nichols was widely recognized as the best shooting forward in the his SR class. I was at ABCD his last season there and he led the camp in 3 pointers made and had the 3rd highest percentage. He shot LIGHTS OUT all week. The kid came in as a great shooter but lacked the confidence to play at this level and it took him awhile to develop that enough to be effective.

Southerland was also very good 3 point shooter in high school.

Hughes is waaaay far behind both of your examples. Maybe he could develop but I think it's wishful thinking.

2) Comparing a kid at ECU's freshman stats to a kid at Duke's freshman stats is meaningless. I'm sure if Gbinijie was at ECU as a freshman he would have obliterated Hughes' meager stats of 8 ppg and 2 rpg with terrible shooting percentages. We're talking about playing against AAC here, not ACC. Huge difference in the caliber of play.

I don't know exactly what you mean by that remark, though I could make an educated guess. I choose to take it as a compliment. If that's not what you intended, I ask you a few questions:

1. Why do you care what my opinion is?

2. What makes you think your opinion has greater merit than mine?

3. If you posted this to stir up more drama, why? Does it serve your ego?

4. If you disagree with me why not scroll by?

5. Could it be that my post is generating a lot of controversy because i dare speak against the consensus?

You do not know me. I am many things, but I'm not afraid of holding my ground against people whose opinions differ from mine or those who bully. Have a great day!

Unsolicited advice: If you don't care about all of the comments, slow your roll a little. As an unbiased observer of this thread you're not showing your best side. Everyone who reads this thread gets you don't want this kid at SU and your reasons why that's your take. Point made.

Agreed, except for Ethan Cole.

Unsolicited advice: If you don't care about all of the comments, slow your roll a little. As an unbiased observer of this thread you're not showing your best side. Everyone who reads this thread gets you don't want this kid at SU and your reasons why that's your take. Point made.

Thank you. Do you think the others are showing their best side? I've kept my replies civil. I don't tolerate bullying. I stopped posting my reasons against Hughes. You're right I don't need to explain myself anymore. But truth be told I feel like religious zealots are trying to convert me and because I resist they resort to name calling. Perhaps they should stop trying to convert or mock me and I'll stand in the shadows. Anyhow, thank you.

I think your post is the gist of it. I'm not even worried about JB's remaining tenure here. Syracuse just can't continue to have mediocre/bad regular seasons which culminate with NIT berths. Recruits won't sign up for that. If no Tucker/Ayala then I think it could be a losing record type scenario. The F4 run and drafted players recently is nice but, imo, consistent good performance on the court trumps all that. Right now that is not close to happening. Gotta get recruits which will help turn things around in the regular season. Lack of F4s recently hasn't hurt Kansas, Arizona, Miami, etc. Their recruiting is very good and they reload after sudden departures (not so much Miami).

I think that if the team is NIT this coming season or, god forbid a losing record, then Wildhack will pull the plug on Boeheim. I mean I would expect him to. Not even sure how you justify the opposite. It would just be time to go after an amazing career for a guy who truly built a program and brand. I think it could be a benefit as well. There is no way in hell I believe that GMac or Autry would be the next HC. I expect a search to be executed and a proven younger coach at the mid-major level or higher to get the gig. I think the new coach would rejuvenate the brand and style of play assuming things get worse than better in the near future where this move would be absolutely necessary.

Getting Tucker is huge in so many aspects. It's an immediate need to the roster where major minutes are available. It also would prove to me that the kid believes what JB is selling and sees the program ascending in the direction we hope it will.

JB's not walking away any time soon. He has ZERO plans to retire, trust me on that. And I highly doubt Wildhack or anyone at the University would 'pull the plug' on him.