Elijah Hughes | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Elijah Hughes

His Conference numbers in the AAC were even worse than his overall numbers. 31% overall and 25% from 3. He did play well in the AAC Tourney against Temple and SMU though. If we sign him I hope he's a contributor next year because we have been wasting way to many roster spots on non-contributors lately.

His Conference numbers in the AAC were even worse than his overall numbers. 31% overall and 25% from 3. He did play well in the AAC Tourney against Temple and SMU though. If we sign him I hope he's a contributor next year because we have been wasting way to many roster spots on non-contributors lately.

He won't be contributing next year, as he'll be sitting out after transferring. '18-19 is the earliest he would see the floor.

Yes, there is a big elephant sitting in the corner. Maybe he goes to Seton Hall because he isn't good enough to play for us. Considering some of our coaches saw him play in high school, maybe they felt strong enough to bring him in. If you look at his stats from this past season that arguably his best two games were the last two games of the year. Maybe he is someone who they feel can develop in two years. Plus his hometown is listed as Beacon, NY so maybe he wants to come back and can get the hardship waiver.
He was recruited by Iona originally, so maybe that would be a better destination for him. I'm not sure what he showed in one season at ECU that makes him an attractive recruit for Syracuse.

Oh, believe me, I think it's odd but moreso because of our roster limitations. I agree his offers don't say much but the staff obviously sees something they must love. This is a big investment: giving a scholarship to a kid who can't help on the court this coming season when we have so many holes.

I think people are way too negative about this. This is not a desperation move. We are very very early in the 2018 recruiting cycle. Let's see how the visit goes. If they indeed offer, given how many top prospects they are involved with in 2018, that means they must really like his game. This is not a desperation move. This is not trying to fill out a roster for 2017.

I think people are way too negative about this. This is not a desperation move. We are very very early in the 2018 recruiting cycle. Let's see how the visit goes. If they indeed offer, given how many top prospects they are involved with in 2018, that means they must really like his game. This is not a desperation move. This is not trying to fill out a roster for 2017.

I don't think it's desperation. We wouldn't be desperate to get someone like this for '18.

Last edited:
He won't be contributing next year, as he'll be sitting out after transferring. '18-19 is the earliest he would see the floor.

That's the year I was talking about.

I don't think it's negative if one doesn't think it's a good move for the program. The guy has height at the guard position, that's his positive. He cannot contribute in 2017, he's not a particularly good shooter, and it feels like settling to me. We're all welcome to our opinions.

Had we recruited this guy out of high school no one here would have wanted him. He had offers from ECU and Iona. And he didn't even have a very good freshman year at ECU.

I don't think it's negative to not be super amped about the prospect of landing this guy. We can agree to disagree, I guess.

Perhaps its a possible move to provide add an older (semi-)experienced guard to the roster in 2018/19 - 21/22 to counterbalance a very young roster in 18/19. Transfer year gets him 2-3 experience and adds a sizeable practice player for next year to go against Tyus and Frank. Maybe Jimmy's cool with rolling along with 10 game players (assuming 2 more are added) because he'll only use 7.5 max anyhow.

Perhaps its a possible move to provide add an older (semi-)experienced guard to the roster in 2018/19 - 21/22 to counterbalance a very young roster in 18/19. Transfer year gets him 2-3 experience and adds a sizeable practice player for next year to go against Tyus and Frank. Maybe Jimmy's cool with rolling along with 10 game players (assuming 2 more are added) because he'll only use 7.5 max anyhow.

I think this is exactly what JB is thinking. JB likes our chances with Tucker and Ayala. If we miss on one or both, then grad transfers. This kid is very raw, but high potential. Get him a year of pure development and you can add his experience to a very young team in 18-19.

The coaches think he is really good. He was a much better 3 pt shooter in high school. And he is a very good athlete.

Highlights are of course just those, highlights, but I was seriously impressed with his athleticism. The way he got up and swatted shots was natural - just can't teach it. As I said before, if the staff offers him (still an if), this is NOT desperation. This is very, very early in the 2018 cycle. Given how wide the net has been cast in 2018 across a number of top prospects, they would offer him only because they value him highly.

2017 has been a disappointing outlier to date, but if the staff is aggressively pursuing a kid when literally the entire class is still uncommitted - that's enough for me.

Highlights are of course just those, highlights, but I was seriously impressed with his athleticism. The way he got up and swatted shots was natural - just can't teach it. As I said before, if the staff offers him (still an if), this is NOT desperation. This is very, very early in the 2018 cycle. Given how wide the net has been cast in 2018 across a number of top prospects, they would offer him only because they value him highly.

2017 has been a disappointing outlier to date, but if the staff is aggressively pursuing a kid when literally the entire class is still uncommitted - that's enough for me.

If he was that good in high school he would've garnered more offers than ECU and Iona... wouldn't ya think? IF we land EA and Tucker, then I"m ok with this signing... if not... I'd prefer to look elsewhere. It would be a settle IMO, regardless of what the staff may think of him.

Agreed in general. But it is curious given the scholarship restrictions, the need to add scholarship players to the class of 2017, the low number of available scholies we'll have for the class of 2018, etc.

I think this is exactly what JB is thinking. JB likes our chances with Tucker and Ayala. If we miss on one or both, then grad transfers. This kid is very raw, but high potential. Get him a year of pure development and you can add his experience to a very young team in 18-19.

If he's high on potential then why didn't anybody want him out of high school? What off of his numbers from last year show potential?

He's a tall guard. That's all I get from this kid. Doesn't mean anything.

I'll trust the staff, per the usual. So many seem to fall in love with players coming straight out of HS. Kaleb was supposed to be a star, among others that I could list off. Not just players that have come here, and not just our fans. Five stars do fail, and kids that go to a smaller school do exceed. At times.

This kid has a year under his belt, and would have a year of practice if we decide to offer. I have no issue in looking at the possibility of him joining.

I'll trust the staff, per the usual. So many seem to fall in love with players coming straight out of HS. Kaleb was supposed to be a star, among others that I could list off. Not just players that have come here, and not just our fans. Five stars do fail, and kids that go to a smaller school do exceed. At times.

This kid has a year under his belt, and would have a year of practice if we decide to offer. I have no issue in looking at the possibility of him joining.

I have no issue in taking him either IF we sign EA and Tucker. If we don't this is a bad move because we have scholarship reductions, he can't play in 2017, and he is not a good shooter.

Very rarely do players come from out of nowhere. I could see the potential if he was missed/unrecognized in high school. But after a year of college ball, we are the only BIG name program knocking on his door.

That's, in my opinion, a BIG TIME settle, and speaks volumes about the confidence we have in signing the big name kids, and counteracting the negative recruiting against JB's age.

Seton Hall has been doing pretty well, but regardless we shall see what happens. I'll let JB decide, as we haven't offered anyway. He's talented, and will have a year of playing, and a year of practicing in our system under his belt. 4-5 star recruits are great, but sometimes you need guys like Silent G. No clue how EH pans out, but just saying.

Add Ayala, lose FH, add this kid.

I have to admit the interest in Hughes made me question Howard's shelf life at SU. I thought maybe the staff knows that if they don't get Ayala they have a grad transfer on standby and they really like Washington since he was on campus recently. They may feel that Washington can effectively back up both guard positions this year.

If he's high on potential then why didn't anybody want him out of high school? What off of his numbers from last year show potential?

He's a tall guard. That's all I get from this kid. Doesn't mean anything.

While I don't disagree with you that this interest is puzzling, because of our roster limitations, there are some misses once in a while. Now, I know you'll say this is an extreme outlier...but not many schools were all that interested in Steph Curry. Heck, not all NBA teams were all that interested in him right away either...and then weren't there some rumors that Golden State was keeping Monta Ellis and dealing Steph? You just can't predict when potential will be realized, but if our coaches, one of which he has been doing this longer than I have been alive sees something, you have to give it some kind of thought instead of dismissing it right away.

Why wouldn't we take the visit? I thought one of the lessons learned from the quade green situation is not to limit options...

No disrespect, but you seriously can't be comparing Quade and this kid? The lesson learned (or not) from the Quade situation was not to put all our eggs in one basket, and get left at the alter when there were still really GOOD players available. Not some kid recruited by ECU and Iona.

Seton Hall has been doing pretty well, but regardless we shall see what happens. I'll let JB decide, as we haven't offered anyway. He's talented, and will have a year of playing, and a year of practicing in our system under his belt. 4-5 star recruits are great, but sometimes you need guys like Silent G. No clue how EH pans out, but just saying.

I don't think Seton Hall is on par with Syracuse. I don't think Hughes is on par with Gbinje, who was a elite kid out of high school and transferred from Duke.

We are Syracuse for God sake. We are a perennial power. We win, we play in front of 30K plus fans in arguably the best conference. We need to get our swag back.

Outside of a miraculous run to the Final Four two seasons ago, we've been by our own standards mediocre for a few years now.

We don't reclaim our status as an elite destination to play ball by taking on kids like Hughes.

In all due respect, I would love to be many of you all's car salesman right now. I could sell you a lemon and have you excited to drive it off the lot.

Hughes??? Really???