Elijah Hughes | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Elijah Hughes

Lots of crow to all who threw eggs , the push back and negative bs when he started practicing with us 14 months ago was absurd, he’s up there talent wise on our team with incredible pure physical and athletic gifts , hand eye coordination is unreal,
He's a player for sure and looks good, but how about we dial it back until they start playing games that count.

Dude is a baller. Not only is his shot pure, love the way he drives, shields the defender with his off shoulder and finishes through contact
And makes it look pretty easy. He doesn’t seem to be forcing anything, even while he’s assertive. Battle always looks like he’s ‘battling,’ and Hughes looks like he’s just cruising. No rhyme intended.

And makes it look pretty easy. He doesn’t seem to be forcing anything, even while he’s assertive. Battle always looks like he’s ‘battling,’ and Hughes looks like he’s just cruising. No rhyme intended.
Hughes reminds me of CF Fair with the added abilities to shoot and handle the ball.

If I remember correctly One of the coaches originally saw Hughes at Kent while seeing Moyer and found out that he didn’t play on the AAU circuit because of football which is also why he developed so late and didn’t have big schools on him. Then he finally decided to focus on basketball, thus the switch from Kennedy to Kent. I also remember him going to Jim’s camp then getting invited to the Elite camp because he impressed so much.

If I remember correctly One of the coaches originally saw Hughes at Kent while seeing Moyer and found out that he didn’t play on the AAU circuit because of football which is also why he developed so late and didn’t have big schools on him. Then he finally decided to focus on basketball, thus the switch from Kennedy to Kent. I also remember him going to Jim’s camp then getting invited to the Elite camp because he impressed so much.

Yeah and pretty sure Donna had an article when he committed last year that he went up against Hami Diallo and dominated him.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if we have have him just for a year.

Yeah and pretty sure Donna had an article when he committed last year that he went up against Hami Diallo and dominated him.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if we have have him just for a year.

I would.
Because that would mean that we'd somehow get Ty, Oshae, AND Eli to leave early.
That's unprecedented for Cuse.

We still have our Big 3 of Battle, OSB, and Frank (once he's healthy), and then also Hughes.
He's clearly a solid, talented all-around player, but will he get enough run with all the depth we have at the wing to really show out this season?

I would.
Because that would mean that we'd somehow get Ty, Oshae, AND Eli to leave early.
That's unprecedented for Cuse.

We still have our Big 3 of Battle, OSB, and Frank (once he's healthy), and then also Hughes.
He's clearly a solid, talented all-around player, but will he get enough run with all the depth we have at the wing to really show out this season?
All three leaving early would likely signal a final four / NC type of year.

I agree. And we'd wish them well and thank them for their services in that event!
(except Briancuse, who would post incessantly about how they're all making a huge mistake and should come back for another year to improve their draft stock. :p)

But - even then, how many non-Duke/UK programs get THREE guys drafted early in a single season?
Even after a Natty?
As I said, it would be unprecedented for Syracuse.

He has looked very good, but it’s quite noticeable that SU is much better defensively with MD on the front line. MD makes us much longer on the back line and a better rebounding team. Hughes is a natural two guard but that would take minutes away from Buddy.

He has looked very good, but it’s quite noticeable that SU is much better defensively with MD on the front line. MD makes us much longer on the back line and a better rebounding team. Hughes is a natural two guard but that would take minutes away from Buddy.
I'm not sure it's about Buddy. I think it's more about Frank and Tyus. If we assume that Frank and Tyus are going to play 35+ minutes, that just doesn't leave much for Elijah there.

flynn, devo and harris all left with eligibility remaining after a sweet 16 run

True. But two of those were invited to leave / "forced" out at the coaching staff's discretion, not the other way around.

THIS.

Neither Devo nor Harris was ever gonna be a 1st round pick that year, or even 2nd.
They didn't bolt because their draft stock had soared. They were shown the door.

Paul saw Wes in practice every day, and knew he was getting all of his minutes that next year, whether he was still around or not.

Getting back specifically to Hughes... after rewatching the latest exhibition, this kid looks at times like the most talented all around player we have. Once we have healthy PGs again, Tyus will look more himself but Hughes has looked all world so far.

Now maybe when the competition gets stiffer things won't come so easy for him but that to me is still a big if. This kid was a heist more than just a steal.

He looks very similar to Tyus.

Disagree. Hughes is more physical as a driver, and a quiet player overall. Tyus has more wiggle and speed in his game. As scorers, Hughes plays off on efficiency and a sweet looking stroke while Tyus relies again more on his handle and athleticism.

Hughes to me is like a combo of Wes Johnson and Scoop Jardine. Calm demeanor and crafty like scoop with a sweet stroke and good athleticism like Wes. Add the stronger body type of scoop as well. Best comparison I can think of as his game is not really comparable to one former Cuse guy alone.

After Hughes explodes here(compared to what he did at ECU) it’s gonna be real fun digging up those “OMG! Our player development sucks!” posts from a couple years ago when a couple limited players played like limited players.

Love Alsacs but his posts were the best flipping out when we signed Hughes.

I know I'm getting waaaay ahead so bare with me. However I'm not sure there is another trio in the country that are winning a 3 on 3 game vs Tyus, Hughes and Oshae. Is it comparable to Gerry, Hak and Melo?? Maybe but who knows. Either way that is a scary big 3. And then four very solid edge pieces with Frank, Buddy, Jalen and Marek. Two headed center in the middle, if we stay healthy and play to potential we should have nothing crossed off the expectations list this year.

I’m not sure about Hughes’s knack for rebounding - either down low or up top.

There were a few boards he could’ve/should’ve had down low. But when he was up top, he basically sprinted into the paint twice in a row while long rebounds went right to where he should’ve been. Jimmy got on him pretty good during a timeout.

Offensively, he looks more like a forward to me though. He’s a scorer. A shooter. A finisher. He can handle the ball well enough to drive, but he’s not really a ball handler as far as setting up the offense. Yet. That may develop. He found somebody(Marek? Or OB?) for a corner 3 late in the shot clock, that was a nice pass off penetration.

I think he’s a very good shooter, will get buckets in the open court, can get to the hole, and has smooth athleticism and body control. He’s the kind of player that will get 20 ppg or so in another year or two, IMO.

Not so much in style of play, but in stats...I see him being Preston Shumpert like. 20 ppg and 6 reb. or so at his peak(junior/senior year)-provided we get back to playing at a pace that will allow stats like that. He’s bigger and more athletic. Can’t say he as good of a shooter yet(the original #3 was one of our best ever), but in time it won’t surprise me if he gets there. His shot looks pure and legit.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom