Elijah Hughes | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Elijah Hughes

The reports we hear from hill generally are correct on what kids will turn out doing well. They called Battle and Lyndon playing better than a lot of freshmen. I trust what I hear on Hughes and if u can play Battles to a standstill head up, ur gonna do awesome in my book.

I hope Hughes is excellent.

But FWIW, he had a terrible freshman season. His shooting numbers are extremely poor and his defensive numbers aren't good either. I know he dealt with injuries.

IMO, he might fit the typical overrated type of player- good enough off the bounce and athletically to generate big hype and take a lot of shots, but can't shoot, pass or defend at a high level. I do worry that he might be a gunner that hurts the O and D if he plays the way he did his frosh season.

All that said, hopefully he can make 35% or better of his 3s, draw alot of FTs and make 75% or better, while having a true shooting percentage in the mid 50s and playing plus defense. If he cannot do any of those things, it might be tough to be an above average ACC starter, let alone Cuse's best player.
No one is saying Eli is gonna be Cuse’s best player next season. They’re saying he could be a really good 6th or 7th man, an offensive spark plug off the bench (similar to Scoop and Kris in 2009-10), and give us another shooter to help space the floor.

No one is saying Eli is gonna be Cuse’s best player next season. They’re saying he could be a really good 6th or 7th man, an offensive spark plug off the bench (similar to Scoop and Kris in 2009-10), and give us another shooter to help space the floor.

Boeheim said he was as talented an offensive player as Syracuse has had in a long time...

But FWIW, he had a terrible freshman season. His shooting numbers are extremely poor and his defensive numbers aren't good either.
comparison of two freshman seasons
38.8 pct of available minutes 35.4
on two point attempts .510
on three point attempts .236

now their 3rd year in college ball
__._ pct of available minutes 82.3
.___
on two point attempts .497
.___
on three point attempts .363

the first obviously is hughes
the second is demetris nichols

But FWIW, he had a terrible freshman season. His shooting numbers are extremely poor and his defensive numbers aren't good either. I know he dealt with injuries.

IMO, he might fit the typical overrated type of player- good enough off the bounce and athletically to generate big hype and take a lot of shots, but can't shoot, pass or defend at a high level. I do worry that he might be a gunner that hurts the O and D if he plays the way he did his frosh season.

All that said, hopefully he can make 35% or better of his 3s, draw alot of FTs and make 75% or better, while having a true shooting percentage in the mid 50s and playing plus defense. If he cannot do any of those things, it might be tough to be an above average ACC starter, let alone Cuse's best player.
hmm all I know is that every high school coach I have heard from here in Ct say the kid is terrific. Our own college coach says the same.

comparison of two freshman seasons
38.8 pct of available minutes 35.4
on two point attempts .510
on three point attempts .236

now their 3rd year in college ball
__._ pct of available minutes 82.3
.___
on two point attempts .497
.___
on three point attempts .363

the first obviously is hughes
the second is demetris nichols
IMO, Nichols early issues were due to lack of confidence, and nothing to do with talent.

He only has to be a serviceable 6th man, we have stars.

"Terrible?"

No, it wasn't.

"Terrible?"

No, it wasn't.

44 percent from 2, 27% from 3.

I'm not saying he isn't improved but he had but on the surface those are pretty terrible for a guy who's being touted as a shooter.

I'm not saying he isn't improved but he had but on the surface those are pretty terrible for a guy who's being touted as a shooter.
He was also hurt

Hughe's overall numbers at ECU are deceptively modest. For one, he was a freshman playing on a bad team (12-20). For another, he didn't play the first 7 games because of injury. Once he got healthy his ECU bio says he flashed against USF. By season's end, he was lighting up Temple and SMU:

Although he set a career high with 19 points against South Florida on Dec. 28, he saved his best for last by averaging 16 points while shooting 58.8 percent from the floor and 66.7 percent from 3-point range in games against Temple and SMU at the season-ending AAC tournament.
Freshman Hughes leaving ECU basketball team – The North State Journal

Last edited:

For comparison, what did Oshae Brissett shoot from two his freshman year? Words mean things, and "terrible" is a poor assessment of Hughes freshman year, in total. Isolated on shooting% from three? Sure--I can get behind that. Overall? No.

Nothing wrong with 44% for a wing.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: yes I know this is a short clip of highlights and not any of the negatives. Yes I know what his stats were as a freshman who battled some Injuries and played on a poo poo team. I'm just posting for those who haven't seen it. With that said I love his game and what hes going to bring to this team. The year he had of being in our system and getting stronger is gunna be huge!

Not a shooting expert, but seems to me the lower body, right leg in particular, comes forward on the 3. Up top looks solid, though.

With Tyus, Frank & Oshae driving, Hughes is going to get a lot of open looks (theoretically). And by the looks of the video, when he gets his feet set his shot is pure.

I'll also add that the video comes from 1.5 years ago. I'd assume (and hope) he's improved by practicing every day against SU players.

On paper, with Hughes/Carey/Boeheim, we're going to be so much better offensively. Really can't wait until the season.

I don't think anyone is saying Hughes had a great freshman year. But freshman #'s can be deceiving particularly for someone touted as a shooter. Here are a couple more comparisons from the recent past:

Andy Rautins
37.7 % FG
32.6% 3FG

Trevor Cooney
32.2% FG
26.7% 3FG

If Hughes ends up somewhere between these 2 on his career #'s I think we will be very happy as fans he is on our team (most of us anyway).

With Tyus, Frank & Oshae driving, Hughes is going to get a lot of open looks (theoretically). And by the looks of the video, when he gets his feet set his shot is pure.

I'll also add that the video comes from 1.5 years ago. I'd assume (and hope) he's improved by practicing every day against SU players.

On paper, with Hughes/Carey/Boeheim, we're going to be so much better offensively. Really can't wait until the season.

I get the feeling he’s gonna be driving more than them

I don't think anyone is saying Hughes had a great freshman year. But freshman #'s can be deceiving particularly for someone touted as a shooter. Here are a couple more comparisons from the recent past:

Andy Rautins
37.7 % FG
32.6% 3FG

Trevor Cooney
32.2% FG
26.7% 3FG

If Hughes ends up somewhere between these 2 on his career #'s I think we will be very happy as fans he is on our team (most of us anyway).

Demetris Nichols is another one who took a season or two to get into a groove.

Andy Rautins
37.7 % FG
32.6% 3FG

Trevor Cooney
32.2% FG
26.7% 3FG

Also a good argument for tempering expectations that B. Boeheim will be the "best shooter on the team" next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom