Class of 2021 - F Emoni Bates | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 F Emoni Bates

I think Bates recruitment is extremely interesting. Committed to M.State and always mentioned wanting to play for a hall of fame caliber coach hence his decision. He decommits in c/o and the rumors swirl about skipping college, and then ultimately ends up reclassing and committing to play for a coach who in terms of fame and camera exposure was pretty similar to Izzo. Albeit Hardaway had little to no coaching experience but it seems that Bates has always wanted to play for big name coaches (maybe that comes with wanting $ opportunities too).

What does seem odd is that he was a consensus top-5 pick in the 2023 draft heading into the season (iirc), and is deciding to stay in college and transfer rather than explore the G League or Overseas until he is eligible in ‘23. It makes me wonder how bad the injuries were, if there were attitude problems, family didn’t like Hardaway etc. Maybe he just needs a confidence boost after struggling to find his shot and Memphis wasn’t providing any help? Who knows? I love these types of recruitments.

With that being said, Boeheim fits the mold for the coaches he’s seemed to gravitate towards. Is he a great fit with the current roster? I feel he’d take over the starting role over Benny regardless of performanceand that would alienate him. I really like the potential of Benny especially after one year of experience in the zone. I don’t think Bates would come here unless he was promised a starting role with a good amount of minutes to go along with it. So, I don’t see much way around that unless Benny plays the 3 while Edwards and Bates are on the court.

The obvious need glaring us all in the face is that we need to focus on replacing the scoring rather than specifically focusing on filling the backup center role. We get a stretch 4 who can shoot the 3 and score against ACC comp and slot over for some backup mins at C if needed. Going after the Ballards just so they can take up mins to fill a role with the amount of scoring and shooting ability we’re losing just won’t cut it anymore. Going after the types of players like Bates (underperformed w/ high upside, experienced against decent comp., or prolific, proven scorer at a mid-major who could hold their own against the good comp during the tournament or in pre-conference play) that can replace the shooting/scoring of Cole but have the ability to play some mins at C is how you fix the problem.

Carey becomes 3rd string if he doesn’t redshirt and if Bol’s healthy he can be the 4th string in a pinch/get walk-on mins. If Boeheim wants to redshirt Carey after getting him on campus and seeing how he fares against the guys on the team, then I’d still feel fine if we ended up with a player like Bates who isn’t necessarily a C. I still think Carey will surprise everyone in terms of his readiness. I predict that he plays this year and just needs a few games to get back into playing against competition in games.

Definitely will be following Bates’ transfer portal journey even if Syracuse doesn’t get involved because I feel there might be something interesting going on behind the scenes. Also very excited to see who else we go after, if anyone at all. I love this team with Mintz and on paper we just need that last experienced scorer to seal the deal in my opinion. If that happened, it would be the first time I’d be extremely confident going into a season in a long time.

I think Bates recruitment is extremely interesting. Committed to M.State and always mentioned wanting to play for a hall of fame caliber coach hence his decision. He decommits in c/o and the rumors swirl about skipping college, and then ultimately ends up reclassing and committing to play for a coach who in terms of fame and camera exposure was pretty similar to Izzo. Albeit Hardaway had little to no coaching experience but it seems that Bates has always wanted to play for big name coaches (maybe that comes with wanting $ opportunities too).
There is a greater chance of Jim Boeheim coaching another son, yet to be born, at Syracuse 18 years from now than there is chance he coaches Emoni Bates.

There is a greater chance of Jim Boeheim coaching another son, yet to be born, at Syracuse 18 years from now than there is chance he coaches Emoni Bates.
Agreed

Agreed, which is why I say players like Bates. Kicking the tires on players like Bates can help with getting out of the mindset of taking a player just to fill a backup C role. Losing Coles scoring and then filling that spot with someone to take on 5-10 mins who is going to average 3-4 pts at most if they can even perform puts us in a similar position that we’ve found ourselves in the past few seasons at C. We need the kids who can shoulder the responsibility of scoring rather than just looking for a kid who’s 7 foot and ok with playing backup mins because they are a center on paper.

It would help if we didn’t put ourselves in a rut with Bol and Chaz. Both their stories are great and they are wonderful young men, but they are not ACC caliber and haven’t shown any major improvements with development or staying healthy in Bol’s case. If we weren’t tied down there, I wouldn’t care about who they fill the role of C with because we would have the ability to get a C and a talented, upperclassmen at F. But with one scholarship left and really having two very important needs to fill, we need to start looking at guys who can do both to some degree.

Obviously another player that would never happen, but Fardaws Aimaq from Utah Valley would be a perfect fit for that role besides the fact that he’s being recruited by blue bloods and has a list already. He also clearly wants to get a large amount of minutes which is something we can’t promise if we want to keep Benny and some of the other guys happy. Will be really interesting to see how they approach things going forward after losing Ballard to Wichita St.

I haven’t been following the portal thread because it’s often a lot of players being mentioned with no hope of our involvement (much like this thread). Has anyone seen any new players who are interesting prospects to fill the role that we might have a shot at? Would love to dive into some new statistics and game footage but don’t want to waste my time
:)

Hope everyone had a great weekend! I’ve really enjoyed posting and wish I had started earlier. I love the discourse and everyone has been so welcoming. SU fans are the best in the world, and all of you have proven that so far. I’m the kind of person who loves hearing everyone’s viewpoints on the important aspects because it helps me grow as a person. Even if someone like me has a wild viewpoint or is wrong about predictions, it doesn’t matter that I’m not a well known poster or don’t have a source. It’s really refreshing being able about to talk passionately about a team I care so much for and have great memories of, without being constantly attacked. Cheers everyone! Looking forward to more convos!

Last edited:
Even if someone like me has a wild viewpoint or is wrong about predictions, it doesn’t matter that I’m not a well known poster or don’t have a source. It’s really refreshing being able about to talk passionately about a team I care so much for and have great memories of, without being constantly attacked.
Are you sure you're in the correct forum?

Agreed, which is why I say players like Bates. Kicking the tires on players like Bates can help with getting out of the mindset of taking a player just to fill a backup C role. Losing Coles scoring and then filling that spot with someone to take on 5-10 mins who is going to average 3-4 pts at most if they can even perform puts us in a similar position that we’ve found ourselves in the past few seasons at C. We need the kids who can shoulder the responsibility of scoring rather than just looking for a kid who’s 7 foot and ok with playing backup mins because they are a center on paper.

It would help if we didn’t put ourselves in a rut with Bol and Chaz. Both their stories are great and they are wonderful young men, but they are not ACC caliber and haven’t shown any major improvements with development or staying healthy in Bol’s case. If we weren’t tied down there, I wouldn’t care about who they fill the role of C with because we would have the ability to get a C and a talented, upperclassmen at F. But with one scholarship left and really having two very important needs to fill, we need to start looking at guys who can do both to some degree.

Obviously another player that would never happen, but Fardaws Aimaq from Utah Valley would be a perfect fit for that role besides the fact that he’s being recruited by blue bloods and has a list already. He also clearly wants to get a large amount of minutes which is something we can’t promise if we want to keep Benny and some of the other guys happy. Will be really interesting to see how they approach things going forward after losing Ballard to Wichita St.
Part of Bates lure to Memphis may have been Larry Brown, who is an assistant on the staff. If you ever read about Brown, a hall of fame coach, his patience with playing, developing young players (read about his Olympic even some NBA stints) is pretty thin. He rarely would play rookie, young players preferring a much longer development to phase in his young athletes. No doubt an excellent coach but a very divisive one too.

I don't even care about the downside of bringing in an obvious me-first guy. Bringing in a scoring forward is the only way I see us being a tourney team next year.

Yes that's my name
Well, my good Master Bates, it's not nice to get our hopes up.

(somehow I couldn't resist the Gulliver's Travels reference)

Honestly, I haven't seen a fall from the #1 spot this dramatic since Lenny Cooke.

Bates was the second coming of Kevin Durant and he was going to be a lock for the top pick when he was eligible.

Then there were some high profile shaky things: Chet's team laying the wood to his team on national tv in high school, those measurements that got leaked, etc.

I'm sure he's a fine basketball player, but he had insane hype. Insane. And at least Lenny Cooke had the talent, he just had all sorts of issues that took him down. The stuff with Bates is crazy.

Honestly, I haven't seen a fall from the #1 spot this dramatic since Lenny Cooke.

Bates was the second coming of Kevin Durant and he was going to be a lock for the top pick when he was eligible.

Then there were some high profile shaky things: Chet's team laying the wood to his team on national tv in high school, those measurements that got leaked, etc.

I'm sure he's a fine basketball player, but he had insane hype. Insane. And at least Lenny Cooke had the talent, he just had all sorts of issues that took him down. The stuff with Bates is crazy.
Saw him play on Memphis a few times, & was not impressed…at all.
Kinda skinny, no great handle, nothing stood out in terms of passing, shooting, or rebounding. Baffled how he got so much hype.

Saw him play on Memphis a few times, & was not impressed…at all.
Kinda skinny, no great handle, nothing stood out in terms of passing, shooting, or rebounding. Baffled how he got so much hype.
recruiting rankings are ***checks notes*** far from perfect.

If the rankings were impeccable coach cal and Kentucky would have about 7 national titles by now...

My only memory of Bates is that I don’t have one. I saw parts of a few Memphis games and I don’t recall him playing, so obviously he didn’t stand out to me.

My only memory of Bates is that I don’t have one. I saw parts of a few Memphis games and I don’t recall him playing, so obviously he didn’t stand out to me.
Well, we can't rule out cognitive decline for you, Bees. :p

I think he missed a good portion of the year. Maybe you watched those games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom