End of Houston at Temple is all that's wrong with college bball | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

End of Houston at Temple is all that's wrong with college bball

Am I the only one who thought Coach Houston was fired at temple?

I don't think standing still is defense, and if you are not playing defense, it should be a defensive foul.

But you think shooters should initiate contact? If I'm between you and the basket, why is it my responsibility to take a low percentage swipe at the ball or to move out of your way?

it is technically the correct call. which is what is wrong with college basketball.

I just don't understand what people want then. Getting between the player with the ball and the hoop, to stop him from scoring, seems like the whole point of defense, no?

I don't get the position that a foul shouldn't be called in the last 30 seconds of a close game. You get an advantage over the other player by fouling, you should get called for the foul. Change the rules if you want, but don't ignore the rules that were in effect for the previous 39:30 minutes.

And this guy got five feet closer to the basket by jumping into the Temple defender. He gained an advantage. And incidental contact it was not.

Looks like most of the contact was on the arm or maybe caught a little shoulder. Defensive player was there first but then shuffled his right foot right about the same time the offensive player gathered.

Not sure what the rule is but I say it should be a no-call in any sane version of basketball. In an "if I'm God" version of basketball, the defender gets a T for flopping, even though in the spectrum of flops, it's not that bad.

I don't get the position that a foul shouldn't be called in the last 30 seconds of a close game. You get an advantage over the other player by fouling, you should get called for the foul. Change the rules if you want, but don't ignore the rules that were in effect for the previous 39:30 minutes.

And this guy got five feet closer to the basket by jumping into the Temple defender. He gained an advantage. And incidental contact it was not.
This is similar to how hockey refs swallow their whistles during the playoffs because, “We don’t want a penalty call to affect the outcome of the game.”

Don’t you idiots think that not calling a penalty also affects the outcome of the game? The rules are the rules from the second the first game of the season begins until the final buzzer of the last game of the season.

Stop and pop. Offensive foul is avoided. Too many college players don't have this skill set in their arsenal.

I'm sort of on the side of whomever said the way they call games sort of ensures that the defensive player has to make that play. If he tries to defend/block that shot, he's going to get called for the foul. So, that's the high percentage move. Everyone should do it. If he goes straight up and there is a collision, they call him. So, stop, stand, and wait.

Plus, standing around innocently is part of basketball. The whole play originates with a screen. Which is just an offensive guy intentionally stopping in place to impede a defender. He's not really playing offense - he's just acting like a wall you can't plow through. This is the reverse of that.

The charge call is blown 87% of the time as rarely are dudes actually set, but in this case, it's close enough where I can't fault anyone. He's pretty close to set with plenty of time for the offensive player to make a decision. The big problem is all the last second ones that get called charges - which seems like the majority.

Offensive player has a choice - pull up, pass, or challenge him. If he pulls up, the defender WILL try to block it. If he passes, you have to defend the pass. If you challenge him, better make sure his feet aren't set.

I don't know....maybe I would call it a foul. Just running forward to get out of that circle to stand still is stupid. lol

I won't make a judgement on this call but I despise the charge call. I hate players being rewarded for just running to a spot and basically saying "I was here first!".
Isn’t the goal of defense to impede the opponents ability to score? Running to a spot that cuts off a penetration seems like valid defense to me. There are plenty of ways to score. If you have to happen to make contact with a stationary help defender then maybe you should’ve looked for the open man.

Sorry, but that's a charge. Know there are a lot of people that have watched a lot of basketball on this forum but that's going to be called a charge more times than not.