ENJOYING this ride, but looking to the future | Syracusefan.com

ENJOYING this ride, but looking to the future

Finwad32

Hall of Fame
I’m going to enjoy every minute of this tournament, and we’ve had 40 good ones so far.

But last night I was thinking about this, in looking to 21-22, let’s say there is significant turnover. AG, Q, Woody, Sidibe and Marek move on.

Is anybody nervous about Kadary, Buddy Buckets, Jesse and Bras being in the starting 5? Joey G and Benny in the fold?

I think that’s basically worst case scenario for departures. You bring back any 1 or 2 of that first group and we’ve got a rock solid rotation.

No reason not to have high expectations for next year based on their capabilities.

I’m going to enjoy every minute of this tournament, and we’ve had 40 good ones so far.

But last night I was thinking about this, in looking to 21-22, let’s say there is significant turnover. AG, Q, Woody, Sidibe and Marek move on.

Is anybody nervous about Kadary, Buddy Buckets, Jesse and Bras being in the starting 5? Joey G and Benny in the fold?

I think that’s basically worst case scenario for departures. You bring back any 1 or 2 of that first group and we’ve got a rock solid rotation.

No reason not to have high expectations for next year based on their capabilities.
You have imagine they are going to get a transfer or two with 4 guys Leaving too.
Marek is the real big loss. Also, early season Q.

You have imagine they are going to get a transfer or two with 4 guys Leaving too.
Marek is the real big loss. Also, early season Q.
Assuming that they do. I’m not completely sold that they will.

I think that if Q or Marek return we are top 5 ACC and top 20.
Kadary
Buddy
Edwards
Gumby/Q
5 Star

Assuming that they do. I’m not completely sold that they will.
If Q and grif leave I would imagine JB is able to talk woody into staying. He would be the third forward.
I don’t understand why everybody comes in now and assumes they will get big minutes. If sidebe didn’t get hurt he was behind marek, Q, grif and fighting with bras for time. I don’t see why he expected big minutes of the bat.
Sort of like goodine. Just wanted minutes.

I look at it this way, we would be really susceptible to falling off a cliff if we get hit with injuries, especially at guard.

However, if we can stay healthy and have a core of Buddy, Benny and Kadary, I think that's a very good core.

I was way off on Buddy. I don't expect him to keep being as hot as he's been, obviously, but he could potentially hit 20ppg, but more importantly he is scoring insanely efficiently while shooting deep shots.

Going to enjoy the ride with this team. I think it's great experience for the guys that will be coming back.

Unless there is info I’m not aware of, I find it hard to believe Griffin moves on after transferring once. JB has given a lot of praise to Q so don’t know why he’d leave. Woody was hurt this past year from what I recall. I thought Sidibe was already coming back. And unless Marek goes to Europe, I think he loves it here.

Unless there is info I’m not aware of, I find it hard to believe Griffin moves on after transferring once. JB has given a lot of praise to Q so don’t know why he’d leave. Woody was hurt this past year from what I recall. I thought Sidibe was already coming back. And unless Marek goes to Europe, I think he loves it here.
Hey - I’d love to see it. I’m painting what I could possibly imagine worst case being in terms of departures.

A testament to our depth right now.

If Q and grif leave I would imagine JB is able to talk woody into staying. He would be the third forward.
I don’t understand why everybody comes in now and assumes they will get big minutes. If sidebe didn’t get hurt he was behind marek, Q, grif and fighting with bras for time. I don’t see why he expected big minutes of the bat.
Sort of like goodine. Just wanted minutes.
Woody is gone.

Woody is gone.
That is fine. Is this inside knowledge or opinion though?

I don’t get it. Does nobody tell these guys how it works at Syracuse before they commit? Short rotation and JB relies on guys he knows. I just don’t know what they are expecting.

That is fine. Is this inside knowledge or opinion though?

I don’t get it. Does nobody tell these guys how it works at Syracuse before they commit? Short rotation and JB relies on guys he knows. I just don’t know what they are expecting.
Well, it isn't opinion. But as all of us know, nothing is ever for certain until it is. But I can't imagine him coming back. And I really like the kid. Really like Braswell, as well.

Seems like a good bet that we’ll have size, length, and shooting.

Think Buddy and Kadary will be All ACC level guys and if Benny proves to be a big time player from day 1? Yeah, we should project to be strong.

Really encouraged by Edwards and Braswell’s emergence. But the team gelling and Buddy getting locked in - two things that are closely related - are huge. Hopefully in a normal season, those things happen earlier next year.

I think that a core nucleus of Kadary, Buddy, and Benny is a winning formula. Sprinkle in quality components like Edwards, Braswell, and we've got a lineup that can make some noise.

Then consider that JGIII has been a two year starter, that Q might return, that Newton isn't gone until he's gone, etc. and we've got the makings of a top 20 squad. Depth would be a concern if we lose all of those guys, but who knows what the transfer market will bear.

Think Buddy and Kadary will be All ACC level guys and if Benny proves to be a big time player from day 1? Yeah, we should project to be strong.

Really encouraged by Edwards and Braswell’s emergence. But the team gelling and Buddy getting locked in - two things that are closely related - are huge. Hopefully in a normal season, those things happen earlier next year.

If we start Buddy, Kadary, Benny, Bras and Jesse - JB has the length to really turn up the D.

JGIII and Frank from bench. Maybe one more.

Yoda.jpg

the rotation is as short as each player makes it.

That statement kind of reminds me of what one of his former players said when asked if it was hard to play for soccer coach Jose Mourinho. "No, it's easy. Just do whatever he says and don't complain."

I've been conducting the "they gone" train when it comes to Sidibe, Marek, Q and Griffin for a while. I'm disappointed that we're hearing Woody might be done too. If we lose all 5 we have a roster gap to our natural 8 man rotation.

But let's say the team looks something like this...

G - Kadary, Buddy, Joey G

F - Benny, Big Bad Bobby, one of Marek/Q/Griffin/Woody

C - Edwards, one of JBA/Frankie/Sidibe recovered from potato knee

There are a bunch of combinations that could work that get us to a plus starting five with a "deep for us" bench that's got a solid guard, a solid forward, and a spot minutes backup center.

If Buddy keeps it up he will be more than All ACC. More like All American and getting looks from the NBA. They love guys who can shoot. No reason someone wouldn't grab him in the 2nd round or even late 1st round. He's not perfect but someone who can shoot.

If Buddy keeps it up he will be more than All ACC. More like All American and getting looks from the NBA. They love guys who can shoot. No reason someone wouldn't grab him in the 2nd round or even late 1st round. He's not perfect but someone who can shoot.

Per the other thread his name already popping up in NBA scouting circles.

I’m going to enjoy this ride because I think we can make some noise before this year is over. These last 5-10 games have made me ALOT more confident about next year. Jesse will get stronger this off season, and I think he will be a legit starting center for us. He’s not going to ever get us 12-15 ppg. But he’s a problem for opposing teams on the boards and defensively. I also think people are sleeping on Frank. He’s been putting in work in the weight room. He’s an elite level athlete for his size and should be a really good rim protector and rebounder here. If he stays healthy he’s a very legit back up center that will only help Jesse get better and Vice versa. Braswell has turned into a great role player. He’ll be a helluva 6 man next year. Our 3 guards, assuming Buddy and Kadary start and Joe comes off the bench is a great 3 guard rotation. Add in Benny, a five star, yeesh. I think one of QG and AG come back. Don’t think they both do. Then add in a couple quality transfers and we can be a legit top 15 team next year, at least.

Per the other thread his name already popping up in NBA scouting circles.
Without a doubt. Would Malachi have left when he did if he didn't perform as great as he did on the biggest stage. The world is Buddy's oyster right now.