Ennis blurb from ESPN | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis blurb from ESPN

We also have a knack for taking a guy out of mothballs and then plugging them in and having them excel a la Lazarus Sims, Sherm, MCW, even Andy Rautins to some extent
Gotta add my man Allen Griffin to that group. He and Z were the classic senior breakout PG's.

Andre Barrett, that's the point guard from the 2000-2001 freshman class, good call.

Yeah, Barrett, Omar Cook( St. Johns), and Taliek Brown(UConn) were the 3 hyped PG's from the NYC area in the same year.

With Wright, it was AJ Price and Kyle Lowry.

For the Hall, Holloway, Ty Shine, someone else, and Eddie Griffin in 1999 or 2000.

The last member of that class caused a bit of trouble.

Marcus Toney-El, Barrett, and Griffin were the hyped class for SH. Shine was a good player for them(and the guy Eddie Griffin punched), but I don't think he was in that recruiting class, I think he was older.

I'm hoping Ennis plays like Shane Larkin. . . . that would be quite a find if he does.-VBOF

My over/under on Ennis' length of stay has been reduced to 2 years...someone please inform Kaleb.

How many freshman point guards have we had come in who have had to start from the outset?

McNamara, Jason Hart and Pearl? Have there been others?

Obviously we had a year we would love to see repeated Gerry's frosh year. The other two not so much, but I am not sure either had the supporting cast that Tyler will have.

Adrian Autry. Triche split time with Scoop. There have been others.

Adrian Autry. Triche split time with Scoop. There have been others.

Dating back the mid-80s:

Pearl
Michael Edwards [post Sherman, started the latter part of the year and was mostly a liability as a one-dimenisonal three point shooter]
Adrian Autry
Jason Hart [thrust into a starting role when there were no other options; was probably a year away from being ready]
Gerry McNamara
Jonny Flynn
Brandon Triche

...and looking ahead...

Tyler Ennis

How many freshman point guards have we had come in who have had to start from the outset?

McNamara, Jason Hart and Pearl? Have there been others?

Obviously we had a year we would love to see repeated Gerry's frosh year. The other two not so much, but I am not sure either had the supporting cast that Tyler will have.
Pearl's supporting cast was very talented, but very inexperienced that year. Waldron moved to the 2, Raf Addison was a 1st year starter, Kerins and Hawkins were adequate. Alexis off the bench along with 2 future starters on our 87 title game team in Triche and Greg Monroe. Hart had 3 key players from the 96 title game team return in Hill, Burgan and Cipolla. Ennis will certainly have a more talented frontline than either had.

Dating back the mid-80s:

Pearl
Michael Edwards [post Sherman, started the latter part of the year and was mostly a liability as a one-dimenisonal three point shooter]
Adrian Autry
Jason Hart [thrust into a starting role when there were no other options; was probably a year away from being ready]
Gerry McNamara
Jonny Flynn

...and looking ahead...

Tyler Ennis
Didn't you forget James Theus?

That would mean they would play one year together. They can coexist, and I like the idea of possibly having two ball handlers in the starting backcourt. :)

i bet you do ;)

The Media Guide has the "starting five" dating back to 1965-66. (Red flag alert: Wendell Alexis is listed as a guard in 1985-86), Freshmen were eligible for the first time in 1972-73. Comparing that list to the list of lettermen, I come up with this list of starting freshman point guards. I'll add in the "net points" numbers each had as a basis of comparison for how they did and the team record that year.

1983-84 Pearl Washington started all 32 games of a 23-9 season. We were 12-4 in the Big East and lost in the finals of the BET. We lost in the Sweet 16.
34.0m 16.9p 3.1r 7.3a 2.7s 0.1b 30.1+ 5.7mfg 1.7mft 4.1to 4.0pf 15.5- = 14.6np 9.5oe 5.1fg

1989-90 Michael Edwards started 18 of 33 games in a 26-7 season. (We started with Stevie Thompson trying to be a point guard.) We were 12-4 in the Big East, titled for the regular season title but lost in the finals of the BET. We lost in the Sweet 16.
24.0m 10.5p 1.8r 8.5a 1.5s 0.1b +22.4 5.3mfg 0.4mft 4.1to 3.1pf -12.9 = 9.5NP 4.8OE 4.7FG

1990-91 Adrian Autry started 30 of 32 games in a 26-6 season. We were 12-4 in the Big East and outright regular season champion. We lost in the first round of both the BET and the NCAA.
33.2m 11.7p 3.1r 6.4a 2.4s 0.2b +23.8 6.1mfg 1.0mft 4.3to 4.0pf -15.4 = 8.4NP 4.6OE 3.8FG

1996-97 Jason Hart started all 32 games of a 19-13 season. We were 9-9 in the Big East and lost in the second round of the BET. We lost in the first round of the NIT.
35.7m 10.8p 4.0r 6.4a 3.2s 0.1b +24.5 6.5mfg 0.9mft 3.5to 3.0pf -13.9 = 10.6NP 3.4OE 7.2FG

2002-03 Gerry McNamara started all 35 games of a 30-5 season. We were 13-3 and tied for the Big East regulars season title. We lost in the second round of the BET. We won the national championship. (Edelin never started a game that year)
35.3m 15.1p 2.6r 5.0a 2.5s 0.1b +25.3 7.1mfg 0.3mft 2.8to 2.2pf -12.4 = 12.9NP 7.7OE 5.2FG

2007-08 Johnny Flynn started all 35 games of a 21-14 season. We were 9-9 in the Big East and lost in the first round of the BET. We lost in the third round of the NIT.
35.5m 17.6p 3.0r 6.0a 1.7s 0.2b 28.5+ 7.2mfg 1.0mft 3.1to 1.6pf 12.9- = 15.6NP 9.4OE 6.2FG

2009-10 Brandon Triche started all 35 games of a 30-5 season, (but essentially shared the position with Scoop Jardine). We were 15-3 and won the Big East regular season title outright. We lost in the first round of the BET. We lost in the Sweet 16.
21.3m 15.2p 3.4r 5.3a 1.6s 0.1b 25.6+ 5.4mfg 1.6mft 3.8to 2.4pf 13.2- = 12.4NP 8.2OE 4.2FG

Jonny actually had the best numbers but due to injuries, he didn't have much of a team around him for a chunk of the year. Jason'steam was really the worst of the bunch. it was a total rebuilding year, largely due to the probation that hurt our depth and interrupted the "conveyor belt" of recruiting. We averaged 25 wins a year, which is JB's all-time average.

That would mean they would play one year together. They can coexist, and I like the idea of possibly having two ball handlers in the starting backcourt. :)

I don't think KJ2 would start as a frosh though, not if Ennis is here and a senior MG. I think he would be brought in under the new 2 yr accelerated program -the MCW, Dion, kind of Fab, maybe soon to be Grant deal. Super sub frosh year, starter soph year, see if you hit the lotto for your junior year.

Marcus Toney-El, Barrett, and Griffin were the hyped class for SH. Shine was a good player for them(and the guy Eddie Griffin punched), but I don't think he was in that recruiting class, I think he was older.

You are on top of it - right again. Haven't heard Toney-El's name in a long time.

Dating back the mid-80s:

Pearl
Adrian Autry
Gerry McNamara
Jonny Flynn
Brandon Triche

...and looking ahead...

Tyler Ennis

Ennis has a lot more in common with Pearl, Edwards, Hart, and Flynn - each of those other guards had at least one teammate who shouldered a lot of the burden as a reserve (McNamara didn't, of course, until Edelin's suspension ended).

For all we know, Ennis is a starting point with no backup of any kind - just like Hart and Flynn. Hope this one works out a bit better!

Let's hope its not a repeat of the year we got Josh Wiright... I remember there were three really good east coast points. We got Wright, Seton Hall (was it shaheen holloway?) got one who ended up being the best of the bunch and I forget who got the third. Everyone said JB got the one he wanted then to... and then well look how that turned out.

Not saying this is anything like that at all... what the hell happened to the hall? Wasn't that the year they had the #1 recruiting class in the country?
The Shaheen Holloway class was the one where we got Jason Hart. JB said he was going to take the first one that committed out of three that were interested (Hart, Holloway, and someone else).

You are on top of it - right again. Haven't heard Toney-El's name in a long time.

I think his unique name is the only reason I remember him, because he was not a memorable player at all. He was one of those guys who got regular playing time for 4 years, but you never noticed him because he didn't do much of anything out there.

Ennis has a lot more in common with Pearl, Edwards, Hart, and Flynn - each of those other guards had at least one teammate who shouldered a lot of the burden as a reserve (McNamara didn't, of course, until Edelin's suspension ended).

For all we know, Ennis is a starting point with no backup of any kind - just like Hart and Flynn. Hope this one works out a bit better!
Was that the one (suspension of like 8 games) for playing in a tavern league?

Maybe he'll have a backup: http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2013/05/syracuse_basketball_is_possibl.html

Was that the one (suspension of like 8 games) for playing in a tavern league?

Yep - 13 games, I think. An absolutely indefensible move by the NCAA. Given the end result for the team, though, no complaints on my end.

I'm familiar with the support for this idea, but I was pretty excited to see what Ennis can do on his own. And I'm more worried than I should be about messing around with team chemistry (this is unfounded, of course).[/quote]

Yep - 13 games, I think. An absolutely indefensible move by the NCAA. Given the end result for the team, though, no complaints on my end.

I'm familiar with the support for this idea, but I was pretty excited to see what Ennis can do on his own. And I'm more worried than I should be about messing around with team chemistry (this is unfounded, of course).
[/quote]
Not having a backup makes me nervous -- we got away with it last year, but we had two very talented/experienced backcourt guys.

Next year, it's a freshman and a couple of rs sophs. MG has upside but is unproven. TC has ability but some maturity issues.

Fortunately, Tyler seems incredibly poised. I came away from the Jordan game very impressed. You might have seen the game (and gotten a different impression). But I was surprised that, in such a chaotic me-first atmosphere, Tyler calmed things down and got people the ball in the right spots. He never seemed to force things, including his own shot. He hit guys in transition, unsettled offensive situations (just about every possession) and then, when there was a gap, boom he he went to the rim. And a couple nice steals on D.

On the dark side, when he arrived at the rim, he didn't have the strength or pure athleticism to throw down ala Brandon, MCW, Dion, Flynn, etc... But he did use his head ... and was very wily and crafty around the basket like Eidelin (although not as strong). Tyler may not wow you with hops, but he finds a way to score the ball.

We have all summer to spin this around. But as of now, I don't know if MG can backup the point/bring the ball up the court. If he can (he did it in practice against MCW), I'll be a little less concerned than having TC try to play the point.

If MG does not have the handle to bring up the ball against pressure, then maybe a backup like Barton would be a nice insurance policy. The answer may be apparent from JB's interest level.

Yeah I thought so , I am thinking Griffin was in the Tim Thomas 97 ish time frame.
Course I could look it up, but if I'm wrong somebody here will tell me!

[ I don't know if MG can backup the point/bring the ball up the court. If he can (he did it in practice against MCW), I'll be a little less concerned than having TC try to play the point.

If MG does not have the handle to bring up the ball against pressure, then maybe a backup like Barton would be a nice insurance policy. The answer may be apparent from JB's interest level.

This is the key - what can Gbinije do? Will look forward to seeing if he can run the point.