Ennis - It hit me today. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis - It hit me today.

HarrisonJBounel said:
While he's not there yet with his quickness and speed, TP and TE is a much closer comparison than Edelin. Someone earlier said Mo Cheeks. That is much more in the neighborhood. Edelin had a decent FR year coming off the bench behind GMAC and Duany. After that he never developed, had conditioning issues, off the court problems, and was gone before his senior year. http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/syracuse/2003.html http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/syracuse/2004.html http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/syracuse/2005.html http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/syracuse/2006.html Y'all, except for anglerman, need to get your facts straight instead of making a bunch of crap up, and thinking BE was what you wanted him to be, instead of what he turned out to be. Once again I ask, if Edelin was so damn good, why didn't he even get a whiff of the NBA?

LOL. We all know he had off court issues. But why you ignoring his soph season when he averaged 14 pts, 5 assts and 4 Rebs? Who's making things up? And again, the NBA has nothing to do with college.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

lil' gerry mac never played in the nba and he was a pretty good college player

Completely irrelevant, even though GMAC at least had multiple stints in the D-league. Edelin played in Belgium briefly. We are comparing Edelin and Ennis, and their relative abilities.

While he's not there yet with his quickness and speed, TP and TE is a much closer comparison than Edelin. Someone earlier said Mo Cheeks. That is much more in the neighborhood.

Edelin had a decent FR year coming off the bench behind GMAC and Duany. After that he never developed, had conditioning issues, off the court problems, and was gone before his senior year.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/syracuse/2003.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/syracuse/2004.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/syracuse/2005.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/syracuse/2006.html

Y'all, except for anglerman, need to get your facts straight instead of making a bunch of crap up, and thinking BE was what you wanted him to be, instead of what he turned out to be.

Once again I ask, if Edelin was so damn good, why didn't he even get a whiff of the NBA?

53% shooting for a guard....very good finisher.

And Edelin was having a very good sophomore season until his issues popped up about halfway through the season. He was developing fine until that.

His off court problems ruined his college career, nevermind the NBA. As a slow guard(maybe the one accurate thing you said) who couldn't shoot from outside, he had an uphill climb to the NBA.

And I don't really agree with the Ennis comparison either. But acting like Edelin wasn't a good player and saying he couldn't finish? Ridiculous. Makes me wonder how closely you were watching Syracuse basketball at that time.

Per ESPN gamelogs, Ennis has no more than 2 turnovers in any game this year.

That is, how you say, insane.

And Edelin was having a very good sophomore season until his issues popped up about halfway through the season. He was developing fine until that.

His off court problems ruined his college career, nevermind the NBA. As a slow guard(maybe the one accurate thing you said) who couldn't shoot from outside, he had an uphill climb to the NBA.

And I don't really agree with the Ennis comparison either. But acting like Edelin wasn't a good player and saying he couldn't finish? Ridiculous. Makes me wonder how closely you were watching Syracuse basketball at that time.

Shooting percentage has little to do with the word "finish". "Finish" has to do with one's ability to score at the rim when challenged. That was not Edelin's game. Ennis can finish. Doesn't necessarily mean jam, but it's the ability to attack the rim and score.

Tend to agree. I don't think its a very good comparison, frankly. But saying that Edelin wasn't a finisher is inacurate, and a tad bizarre.

If there was ONE attribute you could describe about Edelin, it would be his ability to score in the paint and finish in traffic. :noidea:

Shooting percentage has little to do with the word "finish". "Finish" has to do with one's ability to score at the rim when challenged. That was not Edelin's game. Ennis can finish. Doesn't necessarily mean jam, but it's the ability to attack the rim and score.

When Edelin penetrated and got in the lane, he often scored. That's "finishing" to me, whether it's at the rim or on a 4 foot floater.

LOL. We all know he had off court issues. But why you ignoring his soph season when he averaged 14 pts, 5 assts and 4 Rebs? Who's making things up? And again, the NBA has nothing to do with college.

But it absolutely does in this debate. You all are singing Edelin's praises, but I'm telling you, and proving to you, that he fell short of expectations for whatever reason, ie, he wasn't that good, and not nearly as good as Ennis. I'm only using the NBA angle as proof that he wasn't all that good in the end, not nearly as good as you are making him out to be. Ennis will likely make the NBA some day, God willing he doesn't get a serious injury. Edelin never came close.

Ennis is a distributor when he needs to be and scorer when he has to be. Today Cooney was not scoring so he took it upon himself to be a scorer. I don't see how he stays more than 2 years. He does not turn the ball over and cannot be speeded up. The only thing that may be lacking in his arsenal is a three point shot. He is a joy to watch.

But it absolutely does in this debate. You all are singing Edelin's praises, but I'm telling you, and proving to you, that he fell short of expectations for whatever reason, ie, he wasn't that good, and not nearly as good as Ennis. I'm only using the NBA angle as proof that he wasn't all that good in the end, not nearly as good as you are making him out to be. Ennis will likely make the NBA some day, God willing he doesn't get a serious injury. Edelin never came close.

An NBA career is no guarantee, but I'm quite comfortable suggesting that there were other factors behind why Edelin didn't make the NBA... let alone finish his career at SU.

yeah ok so billy may have had some issues. but just to reiterate…he has a ring!!!!!

HarrisonJBounel said:

Edelin not making the nba had nothing to do with on court play i can assure you that

HarrisonJBounel said:

No it doesn't. This discussion started when you sad he was fat, slow and could not finish. You are flat out wrong. Whether he snuffed the NBA or not has no bearing on your statement. And when people compare players doesn't mean they think he is better.

How do you know he never came close? Also by "close" what do you mean by that?

and just for the record i myself wouldn't compare t ennis to edelin. different games really.

and just for the record i myself wouldn't compare t ennis to edelin. different games really.
I don't see much comparison either but w/o Edelin we don't get past the second round against Oklahoma st. when we were down by 17 points and Edelin scored 20 points to lead the team

and don't forget jeremy mcneil….
big dude stood up at the back of that press and absolutely forbade any shots at the rim.

Yes because that is the only way to measure a college career. He had his demons but bring fat was not one if them. He was a surgeon at PG and played a huge role in our championship.

I don't agree with bees a lot, but Billy was a fine pg. He was a very big part of a very nice puzzle.

Comparing what Edelin became to what Ennis might be is the most unfair comparison you can make.

If you're talking PG skill, I'd say Ennis is a much better floor general - but they do both have the crafty array of floaters and a knack of finishing without elite athleticism.

When Ennis made a nice move to his left and shot it with his right on the crossover and missed...he learned and used his left hand the next time. Intelligent player that doesn't need to be told twice.

I don't see much comparison either but w/o Edelin we don't get past the second round against Oklahoma st. when we were down by 17 points and Edelin scored 20 points to lead the team

Edelin was good in that game but another #5 keyed that comeback against OSU...hmmmm...

Oh my gosh, that was precisely Edelin's game. That's like saying, "throwing down monster dunks really wasn't Hakim Warrick's game."
Exactly right. Anyone who says finishing in the paint wasn't Edelin's game clearly never watched him play. He finished in the lane about as well as any guard we have had in the past 15 years.

By the time Ennis is done at SU we will be making all the comparisons in the other direction! Ennis has a great pace to his game. I think he has great ability to drive to the basket. And his outside shot is very good. I think once he gets past the freshmen jitters, increases his strength in the weight room, extends his range, he's just going to be much better all the way around. I think Ennis is going to be one the best and possibly THE best guard we've ever had. I just can't curb my enthusiasm for his potential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom