Ennis stock falls during NCAAs- One man's opinion | Syracusefan.com

Ennis stock falls during NCAAs- One man's opinion

You can always count on the Bleecher Report. I know it's tough when you don't follow the team like a fan or a beet writer. Of course Ennis didn't cause the loses, he was asked to be more assertive and take more chances BECAUSE of the looses. And for the most part, he was up to the task. Twirp!

FWIW, Ford had him at #9 on his updated Big Board today behind Exum and Smart...next PG after him was Napier in the late 20s.

First, let's get the ad hominem out of the way. It's Bleacher Report, so the analysis is probably flawed.

Second, I take issue with this "And when Syracuse started losing games, he proved that he shouldn't be the primary shooting threat" and this "Ennis could have a fantastic career as an NBA point guard, provided he fully embraces the position."

On the first line, Ennis's stretch of poor play only proved that he had a stretch of poor play. It's ridiculous to judge his capabilities as a primary shooter or scorer based on like 10 games. The second line is also unfair: I don't believe that he didn't embrace the point guard position. Every indication I've seen is that he was instructed to open up his game and look to score; unfortunately, he was inefficient in that role.

I do think that Ennis's late-season performance (including the short NCAA display) exposed some of his limitations and I would expect NBA scouts to take note of those limitations. I don't think it hurt his "stock," per se, since those who follow such things claim he's maintaining his spot in draft projections. And I don't agree with the conclusory observations of that writer.

So, yeah, that was another crappy Bleacher Report article.

This is what Lebron James has to say:
LeBron James ‏@KingJames Apr 7
No way u take another PG in the lottery before Napier.
I would have to agree. I am a huge Tyler fan and i wish him only the best if he goes pro, but all you had to do was watch Napier in ncaas, he was clearly better than Tyler on BOTH ends of the court imo. And it wasnt like Napier wasnt going head to head against future pros when he played isu, msu, fu and uk. If Tyler wants to go pro, as an SU fan i support that but not clear to me why he would go higher than 20s.

As soon as I saw Bleacher Report I rolled my eyes. Just the absolute worst of the worst when it comes to articles on any sport. Jonathan Snowden should never write again, anywhere.

This is what Lebron James has to say:
LeBron James ‏@KingJames Apr 7
No way u take another PG in the lottery before Napier.

Is LJ a GM now too? College game and the NBA game are very different. Napier is not going to be able to will his team to win at the NBA level. Only a handful of guys can will their teams to win in the NBA and Napier won't be one of them.

Napier is a senior and Ennis a freshman. Unless one is already a bonified, surefire NBA stud, the NBA draft is entirely about potential and upside. That said, it would be a tough call for me right now between Napier and Ennis. I think a lot of things would factor into the decision who to take, interviews, physical metrics, current roster makeup, etc.

As soon as I saw Bleacher Report I rolled my eyes. Just the absolute worst of the worst when it comes to articles on any sport. Jonathan Snowden should never write again, anywhere.

To be fair, there actually are a couple of writers on BR that do a very nice job, but they're few and far between.

Having said that, I do expect that the last 10ish games will ultimately hurt Ennis' stock. Maybe not for the reasons that the article stated, but I do think that the final stretch of games exposed a lot of his flaws, and I think analysts will continue to pick him apart as the draft process goes on.

My guess is that he will end up being taken in the 15-20 range when it's all said and done.

To be fair, there actually are a couple of writers on BR that do a very nice job, but they're few and far between.

Having said that, I do expect that the last 10ish games will ultimately hurt Ennis' stock. Maybe not for the reasons that the article stated, but I do think that the final stretch of games exposed a lot of his flaws, and I think analysts will continue to pick him apart as the draft process goes on.

My guess is that he will end up being taken in the 15-20 range when it's all said and done.

15-20, no way. I'd take that bet in a second.

15-20, no way. I'd take that bet in a second.

I mean, he's currently projected at #14 by DraftExpress. I don't think falling one spot from that is out of the realm of possibility at all, especially considering not many teams need PGs that badly. Exum and Smart will be the first 2 PGs taken, and then look at the teams that pick even from 7-14. How many need a PG? I think you could make a case that literally all of those teams are set at PG, so you pretty much have to hope that a team picking later trades up for him, and if that's going to be the case, who needs a PG badly enough to move up for him when they can get a guy like Shabazz at the end of the 1st/early 2nd? Maybe Toronto? There's a lot of PGs that are right around Ennis' level and very few teams that would get an upgrade at PG by taking him this year. I think he'd be a backup PG on pretty much any team picking from 7 on, and if that's the case, there's better prospects to gamble on at other positions and even at the PG position than Ennis IMO.

Edit: Forgot about Orlando. They're the one team that I could see taking him in the lottery with their 2nd pick.

Last edited:
Ennis is a late lottery/mid first round pick. He should go anywhere from 9-15, His stock didn't take a hit. I think his number are a little underwhelming for a guy who played high 30's mpg. However, he is a smart PG who I think his NBA comp is Andre Miller. Miller is a couple of inches taller, but both have similar games.

bleacher report can be good to the cuse, more often a funny read then not though.

The funny thing about the last 10 games is that Ennis showed he wasn't afraid to drive more, shoot more, or have the ball in his hands at the end- which means he's not just a manage the team, scared to take over PG.

The funny thing about the last 10 games is that Ennis showed he wasn't afraid to drive more, shoot more, or have the ball in his hands at the end- which means he's not just a manage the team, scared to take over PG.

seriously. if anything he improved his draft stock the last 10 games

seriously. if anything he improved his draft stock the last 10 games

Losing 6 of the last 10 while shooting 38% from the field is never going to raise your stock when it was already a bit overrated to begin with.

On a side note, in Chad Ford's weekly chat, someone asked who the better prospect was between Burke and Ennis and he said it has to be Ennis. I guess I'm just missing something because I have a hard time thinking of one thing that Ennis does better than Burke did last year at Michigan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom