Ennis to NBA per ESPN | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis to NBA per ESPN

i gotta say im still pretty shocked nba scouts have such a hard on for ennis. i thought marcus paige was better than ennis, especially in the 2nd half of the year, and hes not sniffing the lottery and is going back to unc for his junior year.

NBA GM's value pg's that can run their team. They are less worried about scoring pg's. Ennis strength is his steadiness and ability to take care of the ball. Plus if you are looking for a scorer the last 10 games or so should only have increased his draft stock since he was asked to score and did just that. I really think people are missing the boat on him.

Last edited:
He's going to get a contract worth about $1.3M for 3 years, if he stays in the top half of the first round. Take out 50% for taxes and 15% for your agent, and that's $1.65M. That's not enough to truly change your life. Buy a house and you're down to $1M - $333,000 per year. Nice change, but that's not enough to retire on.

You can further add additional US-Canada fund transfers, and it could get worse.

But don't forget endorsements. MCW is "getting by" on them - he could make well into 6 figures a year on just that, while his mother puts the big checks into a trust. So a savvy agent for Ennis can trade on his individual advantages, character-wise, and help that along too. Even after he's out of the NBA. Pete Rose still gets $50,000 and a free hot dog (like Bill Clinton) just for showing up somewhere for an afternoon. Ennis will probably never write the great American novel, but neither will Bud Poliquin, Rose, or any of us.

A mutual fund or money manager with a minimum rEquirement over 1,000,000? Name one.

Name one? Now that's funny. There are plenty of money managers with $1M requirements to start. $1M is chicken feed, any investor knows that. What I said was the ante for a solid money manager was $250K to $500K. That's pretty obvious.

I don't want to knock the kid, but what does he do really well that translates to the next level?

Don't need to invest in funds or the market etc. Real estate and other similar riskier things. I know plenty of people that invest and make 10% a year in their investments. As to after the NBA if he didn't cut it, I said playing. Like in Europe the D league etc. The initial contract won't be the end of his basketball earnings if he is out quickly. I agree with the wasting if money as I said the same thing.

Real estate is a long-term play typically not yielding annual income returns unless you're a house flipper. Investing in REITs also is long term with yields 3 - 5 years or more down the road. I'm in both and have been for years--it's your basic Cali investment. Averaging 10 percent annually these days in any equity or fund portfolio is a difficult thing to do for an individual investor. The market is too rigged against individuals. As for the D league, the pay is lousy so it's not like he's going to make a killing there. As for Europe or otherwise, there are more guys who play only a few years than guys like Bouie and Pace who make careers of it. More often than not NBA washouts are just that, washouts going back to trying to carve out a living afterwards. It ain't pretty in most cases.

Yes, it was. How often does a 22 year old great player transfer in to your school? Without Wes, we're just pretty good in 2010.

It would take a solid group with experience who aren't good enough to jump early, mixed with a superstar freshman or transfer. Odds are low. I really don't see any other way. Even the top 50 type recruits jump after a year or two now(MCW, Ennis, probably Grant) so you can't even really build around them as they leave before they even become college bball superstars.

A superstar transfer and a couple fifth year seniors by virtue of prior ACL tears. A lot of luck in that year.

I don't want to knock the kid, but what does he do really well that translates to the next level?

Not turn the ball over, and make the right passes. A capable penetrator who can score in the lane some.

Averaging 5+ assists per game on this team? His assists will be through the roof when he plays with guys who make shots.

He mainly needs to become a better outside shooter. The form is there, he just didn't make enough of them this year.

Not turn the ball over, and make the right passes. A capable penetrator who can score in the lane some.

Averaging 5+ assists per game on this team? His assists will be through the roof when he plays with guys who make shots.

He mainly needs to become a better outside shooter. The form is there, he just didn't make enough of them this year.

Not turning the ball over in the nba is overrated, there are so many more possessions in a nba game. He can penetrate, but can he do it against quicker guards in the nba? He needs to work on his shot, and get stronger, I just don't see why teams would be salivating over him right now.

Not turning the ball over in the nba is overrated, there are so many more possessions in a nba game. He can penetrate, but can he do it against quicker guards in the nba? He needs to work on his shot, and get stronger, I just don't see why teams would be salivating over him right now.

Part of it is his court presence, intangibles like basketball IQ, and part of it is that he can get the ball where it needs to be in rhythm. When those passes are made to elite level scorers, he value will be much more obvious. The questions will be - can he guard NBA point guards, and will he be strong enough to take the pounding of a 82 game schedule.

There are teams that need point guards. In the draft, the best options are Smart, Exum, and Ennis. We can argue all day about the system and Ennis' readiness, but he's in the top 3 at his position, which happens to be one of 5 on the court. As a 1st round pick, his 3 year deal is guaranteed and gives him a huge advantage over 2nd round picks or undrafted free agents in terms of sticking on a roster.

A lot (certainly not all by any means) of reactions on this board, while supposedly understandable as knee jerk reactions, amaze me. Who are we, as fans, to decide whether a player is ready? There's always things all of us can improve on, but that doesn't stop us from living our lives and moving on to new things. We live by our decisions. If Tyler decided, you would think he did so based on talking with his coaches and family, and making the best informed decision he can. Let's support him and not criticize or question his decision or abilities at the next level, even if we all are disappointed in him leaving. Good luck Tyler.

I think it is smart for him to go. He would get better in college but not enough to compensate for the preceived loss of potential. However, I doubt he does much more than hang around on the bench for one or maybe two contracts for all the reasons that have been stated many times.

Concerning his passing, the assist ratio is excellent, and he had that one, strangely singular, game where he had 4-5 eye-opening-hot-dog passes which had NBA written all over them, but he also was very lacking in feeding the post. Many of his assists were plain vanilla passes to TC, CJ, and JG. Maybe with the scoring talent in the NBA that is all one needs. I wonder.

Ennis is not strong to basket but he has some nice floaters, finger rolls, fade aways, etc that worked well in college - many of these won't work in the NBA, because his defender will still be with him in the pros and there will be a big athletic defender waiting for him at the basket.

Regardless, I'll be rooting for him.

Part of it is his court presence, intangibles like basketball IQ, and part of it is that he can get the ball where it needs to be in rhythm. When those passes are made to elite level scorers, he value will be much more obvious. The questions will be - can he guard NBA point guards, and will he be strong enough to take the pounding of a 82 game schedule.

SUintheVille said:
A lot (certainly not all by any means) of reactions on this board, while supposedly understandable as knee jerk reactions, amaze me. Who are we, as fans, to decide whether a player is ready? There's always things all of us can improve on, but that doesn't stop us from living our lives and moving on to new things. We live by our decisions. If Tyler decided, you would think he did so based on talking with his coaches and family, and making the best informed decision he can. Let's support him and not criticize or question his decision or abilities at the next level, even if we all are disappointed in him leaving. Good luck Tyler.

Well, hopefully he does well in the NBA and it translates to SU getting more elite point guards.

But if SU simply becomes a pipeline of sorts for this type of one and done player with no overwhelming success at SU to show for it, it does us no good.

Well, hopefully he does well in the NBA and it translates to SU getting more elite point guards.

But if SU simply becomes a pipeline of sorts for this type of one and done player with no overwhelming success at SU to show for it, it does us no good.

Honestly it should. Ennis, regardless of his talent, was so not flashy that if he went to a smaller or lesser school, he would be nowhere near any NBA radar. Absolutely coming to Syracuse gave him this opportunity. I always hate when people say Cal develops NBA players or lotto picks. Cal or UK have nothing to do it with it. Anthony Davis goes in the lottery if he played for Iona. A guy like Ennis? Him being so high on draft boards is 100% the power of Syracuse's basketball program and the high profile media coverage that affords.

Probably 75% of the time I agree with players who leave early. But I don't get this one.

I don't see how he translates to the next level. His pace of play is REALLY slow. Like molasses. Right off that bat I think that hurts him. Yeah, he doesn't turn the ball over much, but he also doesn't make a lot of very quick decisions, the type that are needed in the NBA.

#2, he can't penetrate without pushing off. Most of his dribble penetration came after pushing the defender back. That won't fly in the NBA because he's not going to be strong enough to push off. I don't see elite NBA athleticism in terms of quickness.

#3, he's an average shooter.

No chance.
Hey marsh you said exactly the same thing about him being one and done this year. You were wrong then and your wrong now. He has an elite skill set. He will be a very good NBA player. I'm sure last year you said MCW wouldn't be a star either.

Probably 75% of the time I agree with players who leave early. But I don't get this one.

I don't see how he translates to the next level. His pace of play is REALLY slow. Like molasses. Right off that bat I think that hurts him. Yeah, he doesn't turn the ball over much, but he also doesn't make a lot of very quick decisions, the type that are needed in the NBA.

#2, he can't penetrate without pushing off. Most of his dribble penetration came after pushing the defender back. That won't fly in the NBA because he's not going to be strong enough to push off. I don't see elite NBA athleticism in terms of quickness.

#3, he's an average shooter.

he is very pick and roll dependent to get to the rim and while that does fly in the nba...people will just play under him and make him shoot it. if they go over or switch...he will have even more trouble finishing at the rim (if he gets there) in the nba than he did in college. he threw up many a layup air ball this year .

NBA GM's value pg's that can run their team. They are less worried about scoring pg's. Ennis strength is his steadiness and ability to take care of the ball. Plus if you are looking for a scorer the last 10 games or so should only have increased his draft stock since he was asked to score and did just that. I really think people are missing the boat on him.
You get it. The kid is complete stud. SU fans have been down playing the kid since he was recruited. He's a fantastic basketball player Can people really not see that? It was grossly evident since the exhibitions in Canada. It's not hard to see skill. He also the it factor. The kid is crazy clutch. He will succeed.

You get it. The kid is complete stud. SU fans have been down playing the kid since he was recruited. He's a fantastic basketball player Can people really not see that? It was grossly evident since the exhibitions in Canada. It's not hard to see skill. He also the it factor. The kid is crazy clutch. He will succeed.
Not sure why you're taking this so personally...wasn't it you that said he had an elite skill set? What skills of his are nba elite? Let's be specific.

Not sure why you're taking this so personally...wasn't it you that said he had an elite skill set? What skills of his are nba elite? Let's be specific.
His entire offensive game except for the fact he's not an elite shooter. His ball handling is second to none. His IQ and feel for the game are amazing. He makes fantastic decisions and almost never hurts he team. I've never seen a better SU point guard IMO. He makes all kinds plays at critical e times in games. I just think he's great basketball player

I think JBs system the past two years has really hurt the offensive productivity if the players Despite this I think Tyler still excelled and actually did better than MCW did last year.

Everyone says to succeed in the NBA you have to do at least 1 thing great. I think Ennis has a great handle, and is great at protecting the ball and running an offense. I really don't see an area where he is really bad? I think his ability to play defense will determine whether he is a career starter, or a career reserve. Personally I think he will be able to cover good enough to have a long successful career.

Everyone says to succeed in the NBA you have to do at least 1 thing great. I think Ennis has a great handle, and is great at protecting the ball and running an offense. I really don't see an area where he is really bad? I think his ability to play defense will determine whether he is a career starter, or a career reserve. Personally I think he will be able to cover good enough to have a long successful career.
I completely agree with you.

His entire offensive game except for the fact he's not an elite shooter. His ball handling is second to none. His IQ and feel for the game are amazing. He makes fantastic decisions and almost never hurts he team. I've never seen a better SU point guard IMO. He makes all kinds plays at critical e times in games. I just think he's great basketball player

I think JBs system the past two years has really hurt the offensive productivity if the players Despite this I think Tyler still excelled and actually did better than MCW did last year.

I'd rather make the Final Four than lose in the 2nd round.

The greatest ball handler in SU history couldn't last 10 seconds in the nba. The second best guard we had was basically an afterthought after his first couple seasons. Ennis IMO had a great skill set to be a great college player but not an nba player. But the best part is...it will play itself out.

I don't necessarily disagree about his handle but I'm not sure that's enough for the league. I just don't see how he matches up with Westbrook types

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom