Ennis to NBA per ESPN | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis to NBA per ESPN

Do we really need to do this every year? Every year we have people freaking out, saying we will suck and guess what... The next year we're pretty damn good again.

It's called reloading. Stop acting like we're NC State losing TJ Warren.
Other people take talented players for granted and think the program is invincible. We don't recruit like Kentucky. At some point these defections are going to cause serious damage. We can't just assume Joseph is going to be great like those who came before him. Joseph is rated/regarded much lower than Flynn, Waiters, Carter-Williams and Ennis. Hell he's rated lower than Scoop was coming in.

The back-to-back NIT seasons weren't that long ago. Losing Ennis is devastating.

Think the thing that everyone here is missing is that he wasn't going to improve all that much here next year and sure as hell wasn't going to turn into a 6'5 pg. His stock is as high as it is ever going to be, no one is drafting a small pg in the top 5 any time soon. He is what he is, and that's enough to be a valued commodity. I wish he would've stayed for my own selfish reasons but the kid needed to jump now if he's going to be a lottery pick.

Not trying to cut him down, just being realistic.

He's going to struggle seeing any time on the court his first three years in the NBA. Which doesn't help his chances of securing a second contract.

Which, I have stated before, is when you make money.
He will do well right out the gate just like MCW. Ennis is probably a better player than MCW was. He will likely be a star.

"Ennis can't run a fast break."

even when we scored it was awkward at best. underseasoned imo. pretty poor counseling for the future. but i wish him well.

Last edited:
He will do well right out the gate just like MCW. Ennis is probably a better player than MCW was. He will likely be a star.

I hope you are right but I am afraid I do not agree.

I would rather see G at backup PG than at SF. G gives us nothing at SF - he doesn't score and he doesn't rebound from there. The real issue at PG is will KJ be able to give us 30+ solid minutes per game ? If so, I could live w G for a 5 to 10 minute backup PG role. If KJ has significant growing pains then, yes, we absolutely gotta get help. Can't live w G playing 20 minutes at the point. Regardless, I have been saying for awhile now that we need a 4 yr program kid at PG. Somebody who is not a mega-talent, but can just play solidly and gradually improve over time & who is content to do the job for 5 to 10 MPG for four years while the mega-stars come and go.

If Jerami comes back we could have a nice three man forward rotation & we wouldn't need G up front at all.

I really think JB and lots of others, myself included, thought Tyler would be that great, 4-year PG.

Tyler made the absolute right decision, and I hope he kills it in the NBA. I'm not convinced he will though.

JB should have played the bench more. If Grant goes, too, we are going to be awfully inexperienced next year. Imagine if he had played Roberson and Patterson for 5-10 minutes a game for 20 or so games. We would be so much better prepared for next year.

i think HC JB has become a little bit myopic in his old age. he's chasing W's and not thinking development. he wants 1000.

CuseTG2003 said:
I really think JB and lots of others, myself included, thought Tyler would be that great, 4-year PG. Tyler made the absolute right decision, and I hope he kills it in the NBA. I'm not convinced he will though.

I don't think you can count on any good players staying four years anymore. Fair was a good player, but we all know he isn't playing in the NBA.

I don't think you can count on any good players staying four years anymore. Fair was a good player, but we all know he isn't playing in the NBA.

Good point. It'd be more accurate for me to say no none thought Tyler would be so good he'd leave after 1 year.

I feel bad for CJ. He's one of my all-time favs, but he exposed a lot of flaws in his game this year.

Really? $1M invested yields a 10 percent return nowadays, if diversified properly? Really? You in with Madoff's buddies? Standard equity and fund returns are much more like 6 - 8 percent at best. First of all, investing $1M is chicken feed these days for leverage--many of the high-yielding funds have minimums of 1/4 to 1/2 of that for starters, so you're $1M ante-stake isn't taking you very far. Secondly, buying a money manager of any quality requires a far larger opening stake than $1M. Thirdly, based on a long line of NBA rookies and veterans that came before Ennis, most fritter the money away in no time. How many Magic's does the league produce--guys that turn their pro careers into something enterprising afterwards? Hardly any. And, there aren't too many rookies out there socking the money away as has MCW. As for Ennis' lifetime earnings, if he's miscalculated his worth to the NBA--like many other one-and-done's have--then his first contract will constitute the majority of his earnings, unless he goes back to school and earns a degree. It takes a long time making 40 large a year coaching basketball to accumulate $1M.

Don't need to invest in funds or the market etc. Real estate and other similar riskier things. I know plenty of people that invest and make 10% a year in their investments. As to after the NBA if he didn't cut it, I said playing. Like in Europe the D league etc. The initial contract won't be the end of his basketball earnings if he is out quickly. I agree with the wasting if money as I said the same thing.

Think the thing that everyone here is missing is that he wasn't going to improve all that much here next year and sure as hell wasn't going to turn into a 6'5 pg. His stock is as high as it is ever going to be, no one is drafting a small pg in the top 5 any time soon. He is what he is, and that's enough to be a valued commodity. I wish he would've stayed for my own selfish reasons but the kid needed to jump now if he's going to be a lottery pick.
How do you know he wasn't going to improve and how do you know he's going to be a lottery pick?

Following your logic why does anyone stay in school past their frosh season? No one is growing 3 inches or improving that much so just leave ASAP, right?

Don't need to invest in funds or the market etc. Real estate and other similar riskier things. I know plenty of people that invest and make 10% a year in their investments. As to after the NBA if he didn't cut it, I said playing. Like in Europe the D league etc. The initial contract won't be the end of his basketball earnings if he is out quickly. I agree with the wasting if money as I said the same thing.

You know how much players make in the D-League?

Salaries remain flat: $25,500, $19,000 and $13,000 for the league's three player classifications, which means D-League players are virtually playing for free -- and a modest per diem on the road of $40 compared to $120 in the NBA.

We might win more national titles at some point, but we'll never watch a great Syracuse team again. Not really possible anymore.

A mutual fund or money manager with a minimum rEquirement over 1,000,000? Name one.

We might win more national titles at some point, but we'll never watch a great Syracuse team again. Not really possible anymore.
2010 was really the perfect combo of veterans, a transfer, and some younger guys.

Salaries remain flat: $25,500, $19,000 and $13,000 for the league's three player classifications, which means D-League players are virtually playing for free -- and a modest per diem on the road of $40 compared to $120 in the NBA.

I never commented about how much they make. But thanks anyways.

They do also get free housing during the season, FWIW. 25K with free housing is a modest but decent salary considering that the season runs six months - of course, they then have to find a way to pay the rent while they train in the offseason, which is why some of them have regular jobs. Many play overseas in the offseason. The D-League makes sense for guys trying to get back into the NBA or break through that are very close. Overseas is where the money is at outside the NBA.

I never commented about how much they make. But thanks anyways.

You were talking about making money as it relates to playing basketball. Therefore you commented indirectly.

You make next to nothing playing in the NBDL. Is the point.

SUFan44 said:
You were talking about making money as it relates to playing basketball. Therefore you commented indirectly. You make next to nothing playing in the NBDL. Is the point.

And regardless what it is I only spoke of it in terms of supplementing their NBA invested money. If it's >$1 it's supplements it. And Europe makes more.

2010 was really the perfect combo of veterans, a transfer, and some younger guys.

Yes, it was. How often does a 22 year old great player transfer in to your school? Without Wes, we're just pretty good in 2010.

It would take a solid group with experience who aren't good enough to jump early, mixed with a superstar freshman or transfer. Odds are low. I really don't see any other way. Even the top 50 type recruits jump after a year or two now(MCW, Ennis, probably Grant) so you can't even really build around them as they leave before they even become college bball superstars.

Kind of surprised at just how many people think Ennis won't succeed. I can't tell if it's anger over him not returning, or you truly don't feel he is good enough. I still surprises me that people don't understand how this stuff works. It doesn't matter if your ready or not, if your going in the lottery you leave. Do people really think he is going to increase his stock by staying 1 more year? What will he move up from 9 to 7?

i gotta say im still pretty shocked nba scouts have such a hard on for ennis. i thought marcus paige was better than ennis, especially in the 2nd half of the year, and hes not sniffing the lottery and is going back to unc for his junior year.

i gotta say im still pretty shocked nba scouts have such a hard on for ennis. i thought marcus paige was better than ennis, especially in the 2nd half of the year, and hes not sniffing the lottery and is going back to unc for his junior year.

I completely agree. I don't want to knock the kid because he came to SU, played hard, and had a great year, but I just don't see it. Can't blame him for taking the pay day - I hope he's smart with his money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom