Eric Crume | Syracusefan.com

Eric Crume

domedog

Scout Team
With Dave Rahme predicting huge things for the big guy - he will become the best interior lineman before too long - I went back to check the Scout information about him.

Syracuse was Crum's first offer back in June '10. At the time, "Crume says he has heard from Richmond, Morgan State, Akron, Central Michigan,Michigan State, and others. The Zips will be one of the schools he checks out this week as his recruitment starts to heat up." He had previously visited Michigan State twice, but no offer.

Scout lists 7 other schools of interest but no offers. And it is not like Crume was an early commitment, since he didn't commit until mid-October. He was ranked #117 at his position and 2*

I watched his junior highlights film, and he was like a bulldozer plowing into the opponents backfield and making sure tackles.

Well, if Rahme is right, and I sure hope he is, then Mr. Crume was a steal. It indicates a great job by the coaching staff for evaluating the talent and Coach Wheatley for hauling him in.

Supposedly he's too "short" for the position. I saw him at Tops (Peters) a couple of weeks ago and he's massive and appeared taller than me (I'm 6 feet tall)

If he can get some decent penetration and stop the O-line from pushing him around, I don't care how tall he is.

Supposedly he's too "short" for the position. I saw him at Tops (Peters) a couple of weeks ago and he's massive and appeared taller than me (I'm 6 feet tall)

Saw him today on campus. Looked like a tank. And definitely seemed taller than 6'.

With the coaches high on him already and such a position of need, it really sounds like he's going to be making a very positive contribution this year.

Great to hear things like this about a freshman. In the past it would be nice to hear things like this about a senior.

it is my understanding that Eric was initially looked over by some of the big schools due to issues with his grades. Once it became evident that Eric was going to qualify, several B10 schools (including Michigan) came calling. Eric stayed loyal to us.

NT is a position that true freshmen can step into. And after all this is the BE, so he's not as likely to be physically overmatched. I will be great if we can have a true block eating, A Gap stuffing guy in the middle that will free Spruill to make plays.

Did anyone note the kid, William Campbell, who won the 'rock' award prior to Crume was a 5* kid that signed with Michigan two years ago?

Yeah saw that awhile back when I saw the article for the first time. That was music to my ears... or should I say eyes??? Either way, between the footage of him killing the bench like he was already at the NFL Combine, his impressive game highlights, the much needed size addition, and the report of his dominance at this camp, and that's all I needed to see to know that I was going to look at this commit as someone who deserved a two-star bump.

it is my understanding that Eric was initially looked over by some of the big schools due to issues with his grades. Once it became evident that Eric was going to qualify, several B10 schools (including Michigan) came calling. Eric stayed loyal to us.

Thanks for the info. It's too bad we don't have better follow-up on players once they commit. Historically we get the standard commitment article and that's it unless a verbal starts visiting other schools and that school's site writer does an article.

I have a good feeling about Crume, Bromley, and Goggins. I don't think they're Eric Downing or Ted Gregory reincarnations, but I do have a gut feeling that they'll more than hold their own this year and be a pleasant surprise to us and an unwelcome addition for opponents. Partly due to the presence and play of our ends, who hopefully do enough to keep tackles busy, I am thinking so much energy will be expended scheming double teams on Jones and Marinovich that these guys will slip through more often than not. They shouldn't face many double teams.

when you watch Eric play the position you have to smile. he has a motor that doesn't quit, his foot speed, for his size, is awesome. Can't wait to see him on Thursday!

Agreed freshmen can play at this position. Remember Tribby got significant time as a freshman.

While the 3 senior defensive lineman that we lost are tough to replace their TFL and sack production was abysmal. The had a lot of tackles (especialy Perkins and Lewis) but they didn't dominate the LOS. If I'm not mistaken they combined had something like 8 TFL and 3 sacks last season. I think (hope) that Crume (with his size, speed and strengh) disrupts the LOS more and gets in the backfield.

While the 3 seniors had all that game experience, they weren't big, fast or explosive. Bromley, Goggins and Crume I think bring way more physical talent, strength and explosiveness to the position.

While the 3 seniors had all that game experience, they weren't big, fast or explosive. Bromley, Goggins and Crume I think bring way more physical talent, strength and explosiveness to the position.

Brumbaugh has talked about them being explosive and good at shooting the gaps. Wake's big Olinemen will have to hook and hold these guys if they get beat to the point of attack. Hopefully coach B and DM remind the Refs of this.

I think Eric Crume, barring injury, will go down as one of the best to play the position at Syracuse by the time he graduates.

I think Eric Crume, barring injury, will go down as one of the best to play the position at Syracuse by the time he graduates.
what are you basing this on? (not trying to call you out. just wondering what you've seen.)

what are you basing this on? (not trying to call you out. just wondering what you've seen.)

He already has NFL strength at the position, he moves very well for his size. A combination of his grades, competition, and some technical issues he had at the position led to him being underrecruited, but we have the staff in place to help him overcome the third issue, and the first two are moot at this point. For a freshman, i've been pretty impressed in what I've seen from him. Even if you haven't seen him play, to be able to come in as a true frosh on the DL and get the rave reviews he's received from both the staff and from Dave Rahme...that alone is impressive if you ask me considering how lightly he was recruited according to the services.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom