ESPN 30 for 30 on the 1986 Mets | Syracusefan.com

ESPN 30 for 30 on the 1986 Mets

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

I will watch that.

Game 7 was opposite redskins @ Giants on MNF.

there was lots of transistor radios in the stands, many cheering at odd times because they were listening to the mets.

the redskins jumped offsides a few times even.

I once was at a hotel bar in NYC, and a bunch of the 86 Mets were in there. There was a 15 year(I think) anniversary at Shea that day, and some of them met up at the bar afterwards. The current St. Louis Cardinals were also staying at that hotel. I recall the veteran Eric Davis, who was still playing for the Cards, chatting with lots of the old Mets. It was cool to witness.

I once was at a hotel bar in NYC, and a bunch of the 86 Mets were in there. There was a 15 year(I think) anniversary at Shea that day, and some of them met up at the bar afterwards. The current St. Louis Cardinals were also staying at that hotel. I recall the veteran Eric Davis, who was still playing for the Cards, chatting with lots of the old Mets. It was cool to witness.
I was at the 30th anniversary. Eric Davis must have been talking about that brawl with Ray Knight. It was quite the Royal rumble.

I was at the 30th anniversary. Eric Davis must have been talking about that brawl with Ray Knight. It was quite the Royal rumble.

Ha. Wish I could remember for sure who he was talking to and who was there. But some memories fade. I do remember Keith Hernandez(100% positive) and Ron Darling (95% sure) sitting over where Eric walked over to once he spotted them so I’m pretty sure he was talking to them.

I also know Roger McDowell and Howard Johnson were there. I’m pretty sure Gary Carter was. I know Gooden, Straw, and Cone were not.

* Funny side note - a Cardinals reliever closed the bar down(and we suspected drunkenly threw a pretzel at my brother at some point in the night), and then came in the next day’s afternoon game and blew the lead. Lol.

ED was one of the great early Rotisserie (now fantasy) baseball players.

ED was one of the great early Rotisserie (now fantasy) baseball players.

I bet! I wasn’t playing rotisserie as I was a kid, but I read the backs of a lot of baseball cards.

Ha. Wish I could remember for sure who he was talking to and who was there. But some memories fade. I do remember Keith Hernandez(100% positive) and Ron Darling (95% sure) sitting over where Eric walked over to once he spotted them so I’m pretty sure he was talking to them.

I also know Roger McDowell and Howard Johnson were there. I’m pretty sure Gary Carter was. I know Gooden, Straw, and Cone were not.

* Funny side note - a Cardinals reliever closed the bar down(and we suspected drunkenly threw a pretzel at my brother at some point in the night), and then came in the next day’s afternoon game and blew the lead. Lol.
I could start my own board on getting baseball players who were playing the Yankees the next day, drunk.

I could do 3 chapters alone on just getting Ike Davis & Justin Turner benched on the Mets!

There are lots of interesting careers on both of those 86 World Series teams. It’s hard to imagine a high-contact, low on-base, modest power guy like Bill Buckner lasting for 20+ seasons in today’s MLB. The numbers vary depending on which site you look at, but he only amassed 15-16 WAR in a long career. Of course, if he played today, he might be part of the launch-angle revolution and hit 30 home runs each season.

There are lots of interesting careers on both of those 86 World Series teams. It’s hard to imagine a high-contact, low on-base, modest power guy like Bill Buckner lasting for 20+ seasons in today’s MLB. The numbers vary depending on which site you look at, but he only amassed 15-16 WAR in a long career. Of course, if he played today, he might be part of the launch-angle revolution and hit 30 home runs each season.

Ha, good point. Buckner, Mark Grace, John Olerud - those guys were around forever and would probably have no place in todays game.

Just looked up Buckner - 22 year career, WAR of 15. Negative in 1986. High career average (289) and pedestrian OBP (321).

I was pretty young and didn’t follow the National League closely. I didn’t appreciate how good Keith Hernandez was. 1986 was his last excellent year. He was only 32. I don’t remember, did injuries catch up with him?

I was pretty young and didn’t follow the National League closely. I didn’t appreciate how good Keith Hernandez was. 1986 was his last excellent year. He was only 32. I don’t remember, did injuries catch up with him?

Yes I think he had back and knee problems but not positive.

Hard living didn't help, those guys didn't keep in shape the way ballplayers do today.

Hard living didn't help, those guys didn't keep in shape the way ballplayers do today.

That's a good point. I've watched some games from the 80s on MLB network and it's amazing how many players look like just your typical next door neighbor.

I'll let you guys google the I'm Keith Hernandez documentary. It's a pretty bizarre basement type production.

I think Buckner could have hit the ball however he chose. Wade Boggs and Tony Gwynn, too. I think a guy like Rose would be a victim of today's game.

pond+scum.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom