ESPN ACC position rankings: Quarterback | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN ACC position rankings: Quarterback

ED is a descent Qb , he like all babers Qb's put up very good numbers . What do you the people who see him as an N F L Qb see ? Who does he compare to in the league ?

ED is a descent Qb , he like all babers Qb's put up very good numbers . What do you the people who see him as an N F L Qb see ? Who does he compare to in the league ?
I think ED is a great athlete, has adequate arm strength and is very accurate. He is 6'3" and will play at 225/plus this year. Most of all, he is super smart and has a a great feel for the game which is difficult to coach.

Hopefully he stays healthy and has a great year.

AET wasn't a burner either. He was a deep threat because he dominated 1 v 1 coverage. Think about the jump balls he won, those were the bailouts. Mostly because he was so much bigger than DB's covering him.

An inside running game will force safeties to the inside and limit the amount of over the top coverage they can put on our outside WR's. If they double cover the outside guys the inside guys and TE should have field day, as well as room to run.

i don't believe the offense requires a top end speed guy. What it does require are BIG wr's who can dominate midget DBs. Can't have 5-11 outside guys. Needs legit 6-0+ 200lb kids. I think this is why our incoming outside kids are very exciting. They're big dudes.

Agreed 100%. Although Butler is very fast and big - just slight. Needs S&T. I think I have Custis pencilled in - but there are a lot of questions about him.

We need to run the ball / have a nice TE to dictate coverage even more.

I don't know about his NFL stock - he only lacking zip on mid-range throws, IMO. In college the guy is really smart, makes quick decisions, is pretty accurate in the pocket/on the run, and is damn tough. He's also the unquestioned leader of the team.

I don't think he'll get beat out this year or next. Injury could take him out though.

Eric is a very good college QB. And that's a great thing for this program

The book so far is qbs coming out of this system struggle at the next level
Which QB coming out of this system has been given a fair shake in the NFL?

And don't tell me Petty because he plays for that dumpster fire of an NFL team that rents the Giants' Stadium.

And don't tell me Petty because he plays for that dumpster fire of an NFL team that rents the Giants' Stadium.

Do we consider Oregon of a few years ago to be in the same general type of system? Because Marriota is a legitimate NFL QB and he played in a high octane offense, and RG3 was given a very fair shake before Shanahan the senior derailed him.

Do we consider Oregon of a few years ago to be in the same general type of system? Because Marriota is a legitimate NFL QB and he played in a high octane offense, and RG3 was given a very fair shake before Shanahan the senior derailed him.

What Oregon runs isn't this.

I think Eric is a very good college QB in a great college system, I don't think he is an NFL QB.

there are a ton of qbs playing in NFL systems who dont ever get an NFL shot too.

College system Qb's usually don't pan out in the NFL and the NFL knows that , first they look for the arm strength , than accuracy ,smarts ,size , and mobility is a cherry on top and most important is the release , arm strength is one thing but if a Qb breaks his hands low creating a slow loop or winds his arm to far back it takes to long and a dbs can get a break on the ball . Look at jay cutler he has a Rocket but gets picked with that poor breaking of his hands . Too late to change it because it's ingrained in his muscle memory

Last edited:
No, the Briles system is run by Baylor (although not anymore), Tulsa, Syracuse, and Texas kind of.

So Garoppolo, Matt Johnson, Bryce Petty, & RGIII are the only real examples to come out of the system so far and none of them have had a chance to see what they could do besides RGIII who had his knees destroyed.

I think the system can translate, just need an opportunity. Garoppolo will have a very, very good chance to succeed. I think with two more years of seasoning, so can Dungey.

ED could easily be a late round draft pick for lower pay and respecting his football smarts with a roll as backup, a la Brady. And, just as easily, he can be ignored. If he stays healthy, we know he will put up numbers, he will be considered. Anyway, he is not an NFL QB at this stage, though he has potential.

ED with some luck in terms of his health will play in the league. At 6'3" and 220# he will get a look with solid jr and sr seasons, healthy, putting up numbers in dinos system. Mark it down. The kid has the cerebral and moxy part of the puzzle. Lets hope he has the luck to stay healthy. We will be proud as he makes his mark in the league;)

In order to have any shot he cant get injured again.

ED with some luck in terms of his health will play in the league. At 6'3" and 220# he will get a look with solid jr and sr seasons, healthy, putting up numbers in dinos system. Mark it down. The kid has the cerebral and moxy part of the puzzle. Lets hope he has the luck to stay healthy. We will be proud as he makes his mark in the league;)

He's fine.

Love Dungey, but would think his injury history would be a major red flag to NFL teams

I think Eric is a very good college QB in a great college system, I don't think he is an NFL QB.

Agree. I think the sky is the limit for him in this offense, and we're very lucky to have him.

But at this point, I just don't see the NFL side of it. He has time though, he's still young. His arm just doesn't strike me as NFL.

Before everyone jumps down my (sore) throat, I'd love to be wrong. How could anyone not root for him?

No, the Briles system is run by Baylor (although not anymore), Tulsa, Syracuse, and Texas kind of.

So Garoppolo, Matt Johnson, Bryce Petty, & RGIII are the only real examples to come out of the system so far and none of them have had a chance to see what they could do besides RGIII who had his knees destroyed.

I think the system can translate, just need an opportunity. Garoppolo will have a very, very good chance to succeed. I think with two more years of seasoning, so can Dungey.
With Herman and Beck running the Texas offense, I believe the Baylor offense is out from Austin.

Gilbert followed Strong to USF and will serve as OC there. Briles the Younger was hired by Kiffen at FAU as his OC.

Tulsa and Syracuse complete the list of schools that will run the Baylor offense in 2017.

Injuries are just bad luck , sometimes it's a glancing hit, or a hit you can roll with, or a hit a few inches higher or lower . There is no such thing as injury prone it's just plain old bad luck . Look at Eli manning guy looks like a grocery clerk and is never hurt .big Ben is a mountain and gets hurt a lot . The past years mean nothing except of course concussions,which is his problem .

Agree. I think the sky is the limit for him in this offense, and we're very lucky to have him.

But at this point, I just don't see the NFL side of it. He has time though, he's still young. His arm just doesn't strike me as NFL.

Before everyone jumps down my (sore) throat, I'd love to be wrong. How could anyone not root for him?

He is young and will develop but even thus far his arm strength is more than adequate. There would be a number of SEC teams that would kill to have him behind center. Imagine him behind an SEC OL. If guys like Wilson, smith, cousins, Bridgewater, dalton, fitz, and siemian can make it as NFL starters, then EDs arm strength is good enough.