ESPN article on possible successors to JB | Syracusefan.com

ESPN article on possible successors to JB

Flacusian

All Conference
The article is framed by the assumption that Hop is poised to take over for JB but... what if:

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jef...s-to-succeed-boeheim-at-syracuse?refresh=true

With the premise that for some reason Hop does not follow JB they list numerically according to chance:

Shaka Smart , Gregg Marshall, Steve Wojciechowski, Chris Collins, then Red & GMAC followed by Pitino2 and then some real longshots.

It just goes to show that even the most obscure musings are fodder for offseason articles on ESPN. I think that come hell or high water Hop takes over after JB. I think that Hop will be highly successful as head coach and may even be able to push the program to even more post season success than we've enjoyed in the past decade.

The article is framed by the assumption that Hop is poised to take over for JB but... what if:

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jef...s-to-succeed-boeheim-at-syracuse?refresh=true

With the premise that for some reason Hop does not follow JB they list numerically according to chance:

Shaka Smart , Gregg Marshall, Steve Wojciechowski, Chris Collins, then Red & GMAC followed by Pitino2 and then some real longshots.

It just goes to show that even the most obscure musings are fodder for offseason articles on ESPN. I think that come hell or high water Hop takes over after JB. I think that Hop will be highly successful as head coach and may even be able to push the program to even more post season success than we've enjoyed in the past decade.
Basically just a listing of who is "hot" right now. If Wich St takes a step back, or Wojo doesn't take to being a HC immediately, the list at this time next year would look different.

nobody else here concerned that hop can't seem to land another gig?

Hop's young man. At his age, what's the difference if he's the HC now or in 2 years? Obviously this is where he wants to be; if he wanted to leave he'd be gone already.

Im thinking that Hopkins has been very selective as to which jobs he goes after. He can afford to do so. But I also think that several of the jobs he has gone after were concerned that he would only be there for a short time, until JB retires, which is a valid concern.

Im thinking that Hopkins has been very selective as to which jobs he goes after. He can afford to do so. But I also think that several of the jobs he has gone after were concerned that he would only be there for a short time, until JB retires, which is a valid concern.

Which is why you have a contract. Offer hop a deal with a large buyout and thats the clue as to his intentions. Cant hide it.

Which is why you have a contract. Offer hop a deal with a large buyout and thats the clue as to his intentions. Cant hide it.

Hop might be able to coach at a high level. He might not.

The advantage that SU has is that if he isn't a high level coach, you are in great position to get one who is.

The downside you have to face is a few years of underachievement, worst case. SU will remain a elite program after JB either immediately or eventually.

He might be in Boston now, but if the next couple years go as I expect, Brad Stevens may well be ready to return to the college ranks after the 2016 season, and thats a guy I would love to see near the top of the list if Hop can't be the guy for whatever reason.

He might be in Boston now, but if the next couple years go as I expect, Brad Stevens may well be ready to return to the college ranks after the 2016 season, and thats a guy I would love to see near the top of the list if Hop can't be the guy for whatever reason.
Count me out. Stevens can't win the big one.

I think one of the reasons he is not landing another gig, is that the other schools know as soon as JB retires, Hop is going to go back to SU.

Boeheim seems like he's not going anywhere for years. I would not call Mike Hopkins a young man, like someone has previously stated (not a shot at you, (just disagree). I wouldn't call him old, but not a young man. The way it looks Boeheim could stay for 5 more years. What are the indications he is going to be gone in a couple years? Two years is not forever, but 5 sure does seem like it. Who knows? That's why Hopkins could walk and find a new job. I hope that doesn't happen, but the Godfather (the real one) Of the Big East doesn't look like he wants to go anywhere any time soon.

I mean the Godfather of the New ACC... Sheesh sorry

Do you think he's done a good job coaching the 'bigs'?

Hop might be able to coach at a high level. He might not.

The advantage that SU has is that if he isn't a high level coach, you are in great position to get one who is.

The downside you have to face is a few years of underachievement, worst case. SU will remain a elite program after JB either immediately or eventually.

The good thing with Hop is that he's an elite recruiter. So even if he turns out to be sub-par as a bench coach, we won't have suffered for lack of talent, and ought to be able to fix things relatively quickly.

No worries about Hop succeeding. Nothing is more important than recruiting for a college coach. Second is sharing the ball. College bench coaching is not a big deal unless you are a mid-level school or are in a position to have a cast of 4 year program players like Bennet had. The consistent top teams are increasingly the ones with the most freshmen talent. This isn't the pros where everyone is big, strong and athletic so that strategy makes a difference.

No worries about Hop succeeding. Nothing is more important than recruiting for a college coach. Second is sharing the ball. College bench coaching is not a big deal unless you are a mid-level school or are in a position to have a cast of 4 year program players like Bennet had. The consistent top teams are increasingly the ones with the most freshmen talent. This isn't the pros where everyone is big, strong and athletic so that strategy makes a difference.

If Hopkins turned out to be Scott Drew I don't think many would be happy. I know I wouldn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom