ESPN article on possible successors to JB | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN article on possible successors to JB

He came as close as you possibly can get to winning one. You do realize we are talking about butler, was he suppose to win a national title there?
Yes, I do.

I think one of the reasons he is not landing another gig, is that the other schools know as soon as JB retires, Hop is going to go back to SU.

well that's the best possible spin. it is entirely possible however though they found better candidates.

cuseinchina said:
Do you think he's done a good job coaching the 'bigs'?
I thought he did great with Christmas until boeheim started doing the tired old boeheim act killing him over every problem

The problem with any future coach not named Hopkins or GMac is that Syracuse won't be able to offer the same money that many other schools offer. Would be hard to hang on a non-SU guy IMO if he's successful.

I think Boeheim is the 21st highest paid bball coach in D1. I'm sure some of that has to do with him not being greedy, but look at UK, Louisville, Duke, Florida, OSU and Kansas for example. Their coaches are paid insanely well.

So your going to knock a guy who took a mid major program from the horizon league to two straight national title games

FYI, this is one of OiG's running jokes (or we all just assume). He says it every time Stevens name is mentioned in a thread. You could probably do a search on this forum for "Stevens" and "big one" and find 20 references from him.

FYI, this is one of OiG's running jokes (or we all just assume). He says it every time Stevens name is mentioned in a thread. You could probably do a search on this forum for "Stevens" and "big one" and find 20 references from him.
bing.png

I want Hop to take over but only God and Boeheim know when that is and I'm not sure either have an idea at this point. Curious on what Red and GMac would do if Hop is named, could it be another situation like what we had when Coach Mac left for NE? What are Reds and GMacs long term goals for coaching?

As for an outsider being hired I like Stevens if the timing is right which it may not be. But again I want to say that Hop is my #1 choice.

I want Hop to take over but only God and Boeheim know when that is and I'm not sure either have an idea at this point. Curious on what Red and GMac would do if Hop is named, could it be another situation like what we had when Coach Mac left for NE? What are Reds and GMacs long term goals for coaching?

As for an outsider being hired I like Stevens if the timing is right which it may not be. But again I want to say that Hop is my #1 choice.

Stevens seems like a natural for Duke. I've always thought he would end of there.

What happens if Hop goes the route of some Calhoun and K assistants - get a job but do an mediocre job.

Say he went to Oregon St for 4 years and snuck into the tourney once in year 3 and then was .500 in year 4? Would you still want him?

Stevens seems like a natural for Duke. I've always thought he would end of there.

What happens if Hop goes the route of some Calhoun and K assistants - get a job but do an mediocre job.

Say he went to Oregon St for 4 years and snuck into the tourney once in year 3 and then was .500 in year 4? Would you still want him?
Stevens is waiting for Tom Crean to get sacked and take the Indiana job. He wanted the Indiana job and that is why he waited at Butler instead of taking other jobs. Then in 2013 Indiana had a great season, won the B1G regular season, and got a 1 seed and saved his job. Thus, after that year he took the Boston Celtics job because IU wasn't opening up. However, Crean went in the crapper again this year and if he struggles again I could see Stevens saying saynora to the NBA if Indiana University came calling.

Yes! Would take Hop over Stevens or anyone. Half quoting Bo schembechler- We need a Syracuse man to coach our team!

Stevens is waiting for Tom Crean to get sacked and take the Indiana job. He wanted the Indiana job and that is why he waited at Butler instead of taking other jobs. Then in 2013 Indiana had a great season, won the B1G regular season, and got a 1 seed and saved his job. Thus, after that year he took the Boston Celtics job because IU wasn't opening up. However, Crean went in the crapper again this year and if he struggles again I could see Stevens saying saynora to the NBA if Indiana University came calling.

I don't know about that, he has one of the high profile jobs in sports right now, I think he is pretty happy there.

joke might be stretching it. it's something he says a lot

I know that Hop has a passion for Syracuse that just oozes out orange when he talks to recruits and I have full confidence that he would do an incredible job on the hill.

The problem with any future coach not named Hopkins or GMac is that Syracuse won't be able to offer the same money that many other schools offer. Would be hard to hang on a non-SU guy IMO if he's successful.

I think Boeheim is the 21st highest paid bball coach in D1. I'm sure some of that has to do with him not being greedy, but look at UK, Louisville, Duke, Florida, OSU and Kansas for example. Their coaches are paid insanely well.

Can't or won't? Curious

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom