ESPN greatest players bracket | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN greatest players bracket

True in theory and in reality for many people...but not me. I shoot way better with a men’s ball. The women’s ball feels too small, my pinky always feels weird and out of place, and I have visions of what Shaq must’ve felt like shooting a men’s ball on his FTs...which is the last thing you want to envision as you’re shooting.
See i shoot it better because I get a full grip on it and can guide my FTs.

Women’s rules and men’s rules are different.
I didn’t know this till I went to an SU women’s game but their ball is smaller.

When i shot the women’s ball it was easier for me to grip and I shot FTs better with it.

These lists are just stupid.
Brianna Stewart is the most accomplished college basketball women’s player ever.

Do the brackets in each region by gender and decade they played.

Women play quarters, men play halves. Women play NBA rules in terms of fouls/FT’s and being able to advance the ball to your end of the court when taking timeouts under a minute left. Different shot clocks.

They’re literally different games based on the rules. And obviously they compete on different levels due to natural size and strength differences. They just want to feel like they’re doing something “important” when they rate Breanna Stewart as the best player of all time - which I’m sure is coming. Typical 2020 sports media drivel.

Horseshoeing women into a greatest men’s player bracket just ensures that no woman will get the recognition of being the best to ever play her sport.

It’s just stupid.

No - it ensures that they can be edgy and stir people up when they recognize a woman as being the best to ever play the sport. Because that’s where this is headed. And then the talk shows where the two guys just scream at each other the whole time, will have something to yack about - and conveniently one guy will argue for Stewart while the other guy will argue for Kareem.

Nobody disputes that those are tremendous accomplishments. She'd still lose a game of one-on-one to 21 by double digits [if not more] to most of the men on that list.

She would likely lose 21-0 to just about any man on this list. Great, great women's player, but it's no contest. I'm beating a dead horse because everyone has already said it, but do 2 brackets. Not like we don't have time!

Sampson is a 4 seed?

He was first team all-American and National POY 3 Times.

Holy chit that is atrocious seeding.
Great job ESPN.

How many women’s players seeded above Sampson were 3 time National POY.

If it’s all about championships.
Then the UConn women should be all the top seeds.
My grandfather personally though Cheryl Miller was too low. He would have put her at MJ’s spot and MJ around a 4

Women play quarters, men play halves. Women play NBA rules in terms of fouls/FT’s and being able to advance the ball to your end of the court when taking timeouts under a minute left. Different shot clocks.

They’re literally different games based on the rules. And obviously they compete on different levels due to natural size and strength differences. They just want to feel like they’re doing something “important” when they rate Breanna Stewart as the best player of all time - which I’m sure is coming. Typical 2020 sports media drivel.
Plus, there's no 10-second rule, as the mid-court line is only there for over-and-back violations.

Im pretty sure there is a 10 second rule now, but there didn’t used to be one?

Correct, there did not used to be one. Not sure when it changed, but seems like quite a while ago.

Jay Williams did his bracket as 1v1’s first to 5 score and keep and had Carmelo in the final four

It’s hard enough to compare eras in the men’s game alone, let alone having women in the same bracket.

If Carmelo played in 1983 and stayed for 4 years, who knows what he would’ve accomplished. Like...we know Carmelo was a better player than, say, Laettner. Carmelo accomplished more as a freshman than Laettner did as a freshman. But Laettner stayed 4 years so of course his total accomplishments dwarf a one year player’s.

Im pretty sure there is a 10 second rule now, but there didn’t used to be one?
Correct. I went to a UVa-Maryland game and someone explained it to me. I was shocked. I thought the 10-second rule was a fundamental part of college-level b-ball (I don't know what the time limit is in HS).

It’s hard enough to compare eras in the men’s game alone, let alone having women in the same bracket.

If Carmelo played in 1983 and stayed for 4 years, who knows what he would’ve accomplished. Like...we know Carmelo was a better player than, say, Laettner. Carmelo accomplished more as a freshman than Laettner did as a freshman. But Laettner stayed 4 years so of course his total accomplishments dwarf a one year player’s.
Again Derrick Coleman should be on this list.
If we win it in 1987 I bet he does.

Again Derrick Coleman should be on this list.
If we win it in 1987 I bet he does.

No doubt. It’s unfortunate how written history kinda gets altered and some guys start to slip through the cracks and start to get forgotten/ignored.

I see it from Cuse people with Billy Owens. One of those young(too young to have been around to rate most of these guys) post standard writers had Hakim Warrick on his first team for Cuse and Owens on his second team.

I mean...no. Not even close, really. Hakim had a phenomenal career and was a great player but...Billy Owens was easily better.

No doubt. It’s unfortunate how written history kinda gets altered and some guys start to slip through the cracks and start to get forgotten/ignored.

I see it from Cuse people with Billy Owens. One of those young(too young to have been around to rate most of these guys) post standard writers had Hakim Warrick on his first team for Cuse and Owens on his second team.

I mean...no. Not even close, really. Hakim had a phenomenal career and was a great player but...Billy Owens was easily better.
Billy Owens was Carmelo before knew Carmelo knew he was Carmelo.
Billy is SU's most complete player (and I'd listen to best).

His junior year is the greatest single season by an SU player ever.

23.3 pts, 11.6 rebs, 3.5 assists, 2.4 steals, 1.2 blocks.

I mean that would be an amazing stat line for one game let alone an entire year.

Edit: best season of the Boeheim era. Dave Bing had a couple insane years stat-wise.

Yeah...he’s right there with Carmelo and DC. All 3 phenomenal talents. Billy was arguably the best player in college b-ball and a guy who was in the discussion to be picked #1(and went 3rd). People who weren’t around might not realize that.

Can someone explain to me why Billy Owens didn’t play for Sacramento in 1991.
That holdout never made sense.
If New Jersey took him at 2 over Kenny Anderson they could have had Coleman and Owens together.

Charlotte also considered Owens at 1 before going for Larry Johnson.

It sucks he went to Golden State and Don Nelson.

His junior year is the greatest single season by an SU player ever.

23.3 pts, 11.6 rebs, 3.5 assists, 2.4 steals, 1.2 blocks.

I mean that would be an amazing stat line for one game let alone an entire year.

Yeah - and even his sophomore statistics are insane too. Not quite as many points and rebounds (because we had Coleman), but more assists.

Yeah - and even his sophomore statistics are insane too. Not quite as many points and rebounds (because we had Coleman), but more assists.

Everyone remembers the Richmond game, but it's the Villanova BET game that screwed us. We had a 16 point second half lead and lost. The Big East was weak that year and if we win the BET or even get to the Finals we're probably a 1 seed instead of a 2.

That team was stacked (Coleman and Stevie as seniors), and losing in Sweet 16 was a huge bummer

Stacked with size, athleticism, and two of our best players of all time...but weak in terms of guards that could handle the ball and shoot.

If Kenny Anderson comes and Matt Roe doesn’t transfer - on paper that’s one of the best college b-ball teams of all time.

I can’t believe anyone gives a stuff about this stupid junk to even read it...