ESPN Insider: Syracuse has the best 2014 QB class in ACC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN Insider: Syracuse has the best 2014 QB class in ACC

id be stunned if hunt doesnt run out there with the 1s v nova and likely the 1st 4 games.

id also be stunned if we dont see anyone else take a few snaps along the way.

because once that underbelly is over and the ORANGE better be 3 and goddamn 0, things are going to get interesting. and if we get the colossally horrible hunt that we saw for a 5 or 6 game stretch (millhouse, wheres your chart?) then i expect change to be afoot.

i refuse to sit through that nonsense again.

now if hes somehow winning, i could stomach it. a free pass is in place for fl st, but we need to beat wake before another pass is given for clemson and we hit a difficult, but doable stretch run.

in other words we got 5 games to get the bullpen warm before we clock watch the nole game, take inventory and be in position to make a regular season shot at 8 or 9 wins.

And by then we'll know if he's fallen into the junior year issue that some of his predecessors ran into. For Nunes (2001) we knew at halftime of game 3. For RJ (2002) it was the 4th quarter of game 4. For Perry (2005) there was no bullpen, he just kept throwing and we just kept losing. It was like watching your grandmother get beat up on TV. There's a pun in there somewhere. For ARob (2008), it was after game 1 that even Dantley looked like a better option. Nassib's junior year wasn't necessarily an issue, he just stayed the same as the previous year. Looked a lot worse when you compared it to his senior year.

I bet there isn't one SU fan on here that wouldn't want Hunt to win the Heisman...hell, I hoes he wins two years in a row. But let's face reality. Heisman winners don't come from teams with 3 or 4 losses and that probably our best case scenario for next year.
Please don't talk down expectations before the enterprise even begins. Don't you want excitement around the team , don't you want more fans coming to games and to fill the dome? Syracuse should change there mascot to Eeyore from Winnie the poo . That's the voice I hear in my head when I read a lot of fan posts. " Well Poo being realistic ..."

Given that they gave the ball to Allen last season, reading the tea leaves I don't think they really wanted an incumbent starter at QB this season.

I'm not going to be surprised if Hunt keeps the job. I also won't be surprised if somebody else takes it.

I mean, wishbone offenses complete more TD passes to WRs than Hunt did last year.

Please don't talk down expectations before the enterprise even begins. Don't you want excitement around the team , don't you want more fans coming to games and to fill the dome? Syracuse should change there mascot to Eeyore from Winnie the poo . That's the voice I hear in my head when I read a lot of fan posts. " Well Poo being realistic ..."
no.

yes.

no.

good lord.

realistic...now we're getting somewhere. expand...

no.

yes.

no.

good lord.

realistic...now we're getting somewhere. expand...
Here's some realism. If you "fans" persist in this QB speculation , we may well end up with a QB controversy , is that what you want ? I'm sure the imps at Syracuse.com want they , to help drive clicks on their poorly written , poorly researched hit pieces.

Here's some realism. If you "fans" persist in this QB speculation , we may well end up with a QB controversy , is that what you want ? I'm sure the imps at Syracuse.com want they , to help drive clicks on their poorly written , poorly researched hit pieces.
no. i dont want a QB controversy.

wait...what??

if you "fans" persist in this QB speculation, we may well end up with a QB controversy

im sorry, but that is almost as ridiculous as you thinking the school needs to start a Heisman campaign for hunt.

if in Hunts 1st 3 games next year he looks like Phil Simms in SuperBowl XXI, then plays solid ball for the next 3...there wont be a controversy for the next 6-7.

but to blindly fall in line and put everything we got behind hunt......is pure madness.

I think you are misinterpreting what people are saying. And your insistence is making them push back even harder.

did long or edouoard play 7 on 7

hunt got better but it might not be the usual comparison between veteran rs junior and true freshman in terms of passing experience

The Heisman thing is about is about marketing and you need to be out front on that . Donny MacPherson lost the Heisman because Notre Dame had a real campaign. If that were to happen again , that would be horrible. Sometimes when you put high expectations on a person , they will meet the challlange and live to them. As I said before , I believe Hunt will be that guy.

I'd just like to see him in the top 5 QB's in the ACC. That's would be an accomplishment.

I am kind of amazed that people seem to be ruling out the two frosh that already have a year under their belt. Hunt will get the nod but if he starts to stink he will get the hook, too much unproven talent sitting behind him that the staff will want to get a good look at.

I'd just like to see him in the top 5 QB's in the ACC. That's would be an accomplishment.
i haven't read the whole thread. someone said Heisman?

Everybody on this and most other sports boards wants to be the coach . A fan supports the players , Hunt was thrown into a very difficult situation last year. Didn't get all the reps in preseason because of Allen , New coach , OC , Conference . The no.1 receiver , Flemming , out for the season. FSU and Clemson at the top of their cycle. Let me ask you one question , do you think a player performs better or worse knowing they have deep support with the fans? I'm trying to build the guy up , why can't Syracuse fans get that.

I hope he isn't wasting his time reading this board.

He has spring ball and summer workouts to keep improving his weak areas. From what little I saw of Kimble and Wilson they can throw the ball better, at least in August. Last year Hunt was a better version of Madei Williams and Perry Patterson, big kid that could move, but with MUCH better poise, and better vision, leadership, and play making ability. He showed the ability to make some big throws, and obviously he was able to make plays with his feet, best at that since McNabb. He improves 3 or 4 percent in completion percentage and 1.5 yds per attempt/3 yds per completion, then you have something, he'd be a top 30 QB.

If Hunt plays like he did last year against the ACC he will not make it through the season the talent behind him is starting to pile up.

There is so little a chance of this happening. A freshman unseating an experienced QB who led the team to a bowl win? As much as some people want this to happen, it won't. Not that concern over Hunt isn't warranted, but a healthy Hunt will not be replaced by a true freshman.

Agreed. It's not happening this year but he has two RD freshman that will push him, he will have to show improvement and continue where he left off to keep his starting spot which is a good think. Kimble and the other kid are working hard too. You wont see either of the true frosh next year, IMO

There is so little a chance of this happening. A freshman unseating an experienced QB who led the team to a bowl win? As much as some people want this to happen, it won't. Not that concern over Hunt isn't warranted, but a healthy Hunt will not be replaced by a true freshman.

What about a red shirt freshman ?

phil77 said:
If Hunt plays like he did last year against the ACC he will not make it through the season the talent behind him is starting to pile up.

We went 4-4 in conference. He would have to be worse.

His play was awful for most of those games. His numbers were really really bad. Some games he got pulled at halftime for Allen because of his poor play.

I hope he isn't wasting his time reading this board.

He has spring ball and summer workouts to keep improving his weak areas. From what little I saw of Kimble and Wilson they can throw the ball better, at least in August. Last year Hunt was a better version of Madei Williams and Perry Patterson, big kid that could move, but with MUCH better poise, and better vision, leadership, and play making ability. He showed the ability to make some big throws, and obviously he was able to make plays with his feet, best at that since McNabb. He improves 3 or 4 percent in completion percentage and 1.5 yds per attempt/3 yds per completion, then you have something, he'd be a top 30 QB.
those are big jumps. 25% improvement in YPA, 31% in YPC

one other thing, the more we run the qb the more chances he gets dinged, we might play one of the kids as a result. last year we had 3 guys who had at least seen the field.. this year we have one.

Maybe Hunt should transfer , it doesn't sound like he has much coach or fan support here. All that he did here was pull the season out of the garbage and put is in and win us a bowl game, against an 8-4 B!G team. I suppose that didn't help bring in this recruiting class.

Stop being so dramatic. Every position EVERY year should be an open competition, regardless of who did what in the past. That's how you breed competition and bring the best out of everyone on the team. Not to mention, it's also characteristic of teams with talented depth. And that's exactly what this coaching staff and Marrone's before it was trying to achieve.

Terrel stepped up this year and did the job the team needed him to do. If someone else is a better option next year, they should start, plain and simple. And let's be fair too. His performance generally reflected the quality of the team he played against, against lousy teams he was exceptional, against average to above average teams he was average to above average, and against exceptional teams he was lousy, GT being the one exception because I don't consider them to be exceptional but he was lousy in that game too.

We went 4-4 inspite of our QB play. In fact, the more I think about this I think Hunt is going to have to outplay the other QB's to have a shot at starting. Many people are looking at Hunt as a typical returning starter of a 7-6 team that won a bowl game. I see a QB that threw 3 TD's and 8 INTs whose team had to drastically amend its offense in order to limit his impact on the game. I also see an offensive coodinator who may have some higher aspirations of being a HC or maybe an OC at a higher profile school. If Mac does have those aspirations he knows he's not going to get there by limiting his offense when he has options available that can possibly execute his offense. He's only going to get there if his offense starts putting points on the board. Based only on what I have read about the other QB's I'm going to predict Kimble wins the job this Spring and has to fight off Eduoard this Fall. I'm tired of soft toeing around this issue. The RB's TE's and WR's are in place for next year. They need and deserve a QB that can get them the ball. I didn't see any indication that Hunt has that ability. All I saw from Hunt was a QB that was hard to tackle.

those are big jumps. 25% improvement in YPA, 31% in YPC

You really want to go down this road again.

It's not that big, I think we've seen that movie before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom