ESPN Insider: Syracuse has the best 2014 QB class in ACC | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN Insider: Syracuse has the best 2014 QB class in ACC

You really want to go down this road again.

It's not that big, I think we've seen that movie before.
those are bigger jumps than nassib's

granted he's starting from a lower point.

and i didn't say it was impossible.

all i did was put percentage improvement in and call that type of improvement a big jump. which is true.

We went 4-4 inspite of our QB play. In fact, the more I think about this I think Hunt is going to have to outplay the other QB's to have a shot at starting. Many people are looking at Hunt as a typical returning starter of a 7-6 team that won a bowl game. I see a QB that threw 3 TD's and 8 INTs whose team had to drastically amend its offense in order to limit his impact on the game. I also see an offensive coodinator who may have some higher aspirations of being a HC or maybe an OC at a higher profile school. If Mac does have those aspirations he knows he's not going to get there by limiting his offense when he has options available that can possibly execute his offense. He's only going to get there if his offense starts putting points on the board. Based only on what I have read about the other QB's I'm going to predict Kimble wins the job this Spring and has to fight off Eduoard this Fall. I'm tired of soft toeing around this issue. The RB's TE's and WR's are in place for next year. They need and deserve a QB that can get them the ball. I didn't see any indication that Hunt has that ability. All I saw from Hunt was a QB that was hard to tackle.
cant argue that.

We went 4-4 inspite of our QB play. In fact, the more I think about this I think Hunt is going to have to outplay the other QB's to have a shot at starting. Many people are looking at Hunt as a typical returning starter of a 7-6 team that won a bowl game. I see a QB that threw 3 TD's and 8 INTs whose team had to drastically amend its offense in order to limit his impact on the game. I also see an offensive coodinator who may have some higher aspirations of being a HC or maybe an OC at a higher profile school. If Mac does have those aspirations he knows he's not going to get there by limiting his offense when he has options available that can possibly execute his offense. He's only going to get there if his offense starts putting points on the board. Based only on what I have read about the other QB's I'm going to predict Kimble wins the job this Spring and has to fight off Eduoard this Fall. I'm tired of soft toeing around this issue. The RB's TE's and WR's are in place for next year. They need and deserve a QB that can get them the ball. I didn't see any indication that Hunt has that ability. All I saw from Hunt was a QB that was hard to tackle.

I think you're absolutely bat-s&$% crazy. But we'll see.

cuseincincy said:

Could be, I guess. If you stopped watching after the FSU game.

Since that game, the offensive production got markedly better. If you look at as an arc, the first two games he was unbelievable against weak competition, the next bunch were ugly (some due to good defense, some due to his play, some due to new OC/new QB/poor WR play), the last few games were really growth points for the kid. Higher completion percentage, read coverages, anticipated throws to better WR play. The defense was much better the last third if the season too. And from what we have heard from the posters with inside knowledge - he is every bit the leader from his teammates perspective.

I don't think there won't be any competition - I do. I just think he will win it.

If one of the young guys unseats Hunt midway through the season that would probably mean we aren't making a bowl. You don't change QBs unless something is seriously wrong.
Made a bowl and won it with a QB switch this year, it can and has happened plenty of times.

Just for fun, I looked up a few guys that were rated similarly to Hunt as sophomores - according to Total QBR value rankings on ESPN. Hunt had a 61.5 rating, good for 59th out of 127 D1-A QBs.

In 2012, Derek Carr of Fresno State had a 61.2 as a sophomore at Fresno State. Bo Wallace (a junior but 1st year starter) was at 62.0 at Mississippi. Sean Mannion of Oregon State was at 63.1. Taylor Kelly at Arizona State was a little higher at 67.0, but still in the vicinity.

All four of these guys improved to varying degrees the following year. Carr shot up to 76.3, Wallace to 72.9, Mannion to 71.9 and Kelly to 74.2.

Most guys don't regress from sophomore to junior year. They get better. And with all of the new weapons, the familiarity with the system and the continuity along the offensive line, why would you not expect the same from Hunt?

I find it fascinating that people are out there thinking a true freshman is going to come in and start over him. Or a redshirt freshman with zero game experience. Do you really understand how difficult it is to make the transition?

Made a bowl and won it with a QB switch this year, it can and has happened plenty of times.

Something was seriously wrong - which is why the change was made.

Why would anyone believe Hunt will regress from last year? He'll have more weapons, has a year in the system and he has more confidence and knows what to expect.

I just don't understand the logic.

Something was seriously wrong - which is why the change was made.

Why would anyone believe Hunt will regress from last year? He'll have more weapons, has a year in the system and he has more confidence and knows what to expect.

I just don't understand the logic.
When did I ever say I think Hunt will regress? I'm saying QB changes can happen. Hopefully he plays like he did in the last two games, and not how he did for the rest of the schedule--let's not forget he was really, really, really bad for the majority of the season.

how can you have the best qb class- a position that controls your team- and not be higher ranked overall ?

this ranking and stars bs is to well regarded by most- the older i get the less it impresses me

Just for fun, I looked up a few guys that were rated similarly to Hunt as sophomores - according to Total QBR value rankings on ESPN. Hunt had a 61.5 rating, good for 59th out of 127 D1-A QBs.

In 2012, Derek Carr of Fresno State had a 61.2 as a sophomore at Fresno State. Bo Wallace (a junior but 1st year starter) was at 62.0 at Mississippi. Sean Mannion of Oregon State was at 63.1. Taylor Kelly at Arizona State was a little higher at 67.0, but still in the vicinity.

All four of these guys improved to varying degrees the following year. Carr shot up to 76.3, Wallace to 72.9, Mannion to 71.9 and Kelly to 74.2.

Most guys don't regress from sophomore to junior year. They get better. And with all of the new weapons, the familiarity with the system and the continuity along the offensive line, why would you not expect the same from Hunt?

I find it fascinating that people are out there thinking a true freshman is going to come in and start over him. Or a redshirt freshman with zero game experience. Do you really understand how difficult it is to make the transition?
it's hard for me to just trust their black box formula. i get that passer rating omits too much (which is why i try to always say passer rating instead of Qb rating)

i don't think that being a really good runner holds back your passer rating. it'll hold back total yards completions etc but not the formula.

those are bigger jumps than nassib's

granted he's starting from a lower point.

and i didn't say it was impossible.

all i did was put percentage improvement in and call that type of improvement a big jump. which is true.

He's starting from a MUCH lower point.

If he doesn't at do that, and it only would get him to 50th to 60th in those categories, he's not going to keep the job. It's a minimal expectation.

He didn't have a horrible completion percentage, but that's partially a product of when you have so many throws a couple of yds from the LOS.

He needs to complete more throws, needs to get up field more, and when he completes the short ones they need to go for more yards. To many 0 to 2 yds completions on those swing passes and bubbles.

I love the guy.

But he has deficiencies - he does not throw long particularly well, is not all that accurate and is relatively slow for a dual purpose QB.

He is smart and seems to be a great leader.

But, the young QBs will challenge him.

And don't forget the 2 guys who already spent a year in the program. It ought to be some competition, and if Hunt doesn't play up to the level of his last few games, he won't keep the job.

Game experience is really being undervalued in this thread. Hunt played admirably down the stretch and pulled us out of some pivotal games (BC to become bowl eligible and against Minny to win the bowl). He struggled against the elite competition, but he was a first-year starter. I have more confidence in him to beat one of those teams than any of the other guys right now. He might not possess great speed, but he is productive with his feet. Go back and watch some of the games from last year. He rarely goes down on first contact and never really took a big hit.

I agree. And I think being shifty is more important than being "straight line" fast for a QB. It's about avoiding the hits, and Hunt does that very well. He certainly became a playmaker as the season wore on.

it's hard for me to just trust their black box formula. i get that passer rating omits too much (which is why i try to always say passer rating instead of Qb rating)

i don't think that being a really good runner holds back your passer rating. it'll hold back total yards completions etc but not the formula.

I don't disagree - he wasn't a very good passer at all and that doesn't change. But he was a very above average runner for the position, which should not be just thrown out the window, either.

How much each is weighted, I don't know. Don't have the formula they use.

I think he can improve his passer rating based on a few things:

1) Bubble screens that go for more than 1-3 yards. That will be helped by not having Chris Clark, all 95 lbs. of him, lead blocking.
2) Catchable balls/drops - there were a number of TDs that were dropped, including the wheel route vs. Minnesota. TD passes help passer rating a lot.
3) Better players. Not sure if the true frosh will have an immediate impact, but with Broyld/Cornelius/Estime having now one full year of decent playing time, that is going to help them a lot. Not to mention possibly adding Funderburk to the mix full-time this year and 1 or 2 of the newcomers.

I am an unabashed Hunt fan, obviously. I think Eduoard has much more upside (not completely sold that Kimble/Wilson do, to be honest). Very much looking forward to his era beginning. But he might weigh less than Chris Clark at this point and isn't ready. Might not be ready for two years. Which should be fine if Hunt improves the way a lot of players do from sophomore to junior year.

Last edited:
i haven't read the whole thread. someone said Heisman?

I tried to pretend it wasn't there. Ridiculous comments like that can only lead to Hunt bashing.

He'll start the season, and hopefully he'll improve each week (and everything we see is an improvement over 2013). That's the only expectation set on him right now.

After the BC game and Minnesota game Terrell Hunt has more than won me over. The starting job is his to lose. This kid is a winner and a leader.

The starting job is his to lose.

I love the guy and hope he improves and becomes a big star.

He has a lot of work to do and the young QBs will provide some competition.

He's starting from a MUCH lower point.

If he doesn't at do that, and it only would get him to 50th to 60th in those categories, he's not going to keep the job. It's a minimal expectation.

He didn't have a horrible completion percentage, but that's partially a product of when you have so many throws a couple of yds from the LOS.

He needs to complete more throws, needs to get up field more, and when he completes the short ones they need to go for more yards. To many 0 to 2 yds completions on those swing passes and bubbles.
can't tell if you're looking for an argument over the adjectives i use or don't use

or maybe we're agreeing

This is what the Freshman will, likely, have to do better than...

18 0f 28, 159 yards, 64.3 comp %, 1 TD, 0 INT, 123.8 QBR (L 17-16) (13 yards rushing, 0 TD)
29 of 43, 270 yards, 67.4 comp %, 2 TD, 1 INT, 13o.9 QBR (W 34-31) (90 yards rushing, 1 TD)
19 of 29, 188 yards, 65.5 comp %, 0 TD, 0 INT, 120.0 QBR (W 21-17) (74 yards rushing, 2 TD)

That's Hunt's final three games, in his first year of starting.

This is what the Freshman will, likely, have to do better than...

18 0f 28, 159 yards, 64.3 comp %, 1 TD, 0 INT, 123.8 QBR (L 17-16) (13 yards rushing, 0 TD)
29 of 43, 270 yards, 67.4 comp %, 2 TD, 1 INT, 13o.9 QBR (W 34-31) (90 yards rushing, 1 TD)
19 of 29, 188 yards, 65.5 comp %, 0 TD, 0 INT, 120.0 QBR (W 21-17) (74 yards rushing, 2 TD)

That's Hunt's final three games, in his first yn the Pittear of starting.
Apparently nobody watched those games. And in the Pitt game he was speared on the last play which should have been a 15 yard personal , and it would have been 1st down at the Pitt 25 with 1 minuet to go. That didn't get called because the ACC wanted Pitt bowl eligible.

Apparently nobody watched those games. And in the Pitt game he was speared on the last play which should have been a 15 yard personal , and it would have been 1st down at the Pitt 25 with 1 minuet to go. That didn't get called because the ACC wanted Pitt bowl eligible.

Man, I'd like that Pitt game back.

can't tell if you're looking for an argument over the adjectives i use or don't use

or maybe we're agreeing

The way I read your as asserting it's some huge jump that isn't likely to happen.

Reality is that in the statistical range for those categories Hunt has a lot of ceiling, regardless of the percentage improvement what I suggested just gets him to the mid point there and therefore should be expected from a second year QB.

It's not as a big a deal as you are making it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom