Espn just can't help themselves | Syracusefan.com

Espn just can't help themselves

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
Sportscenter highlights were literally 10 seconds long and they still found time to squeeze in "syracuse with a rare trip out of new york." Its comical at this point

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

I'm just happy they admitted we were on a road trip

I heard it too, they never miss an opportunity.

And there was the obligatory graphic during the game about the "true" road games we have played Oh Lord

It is what it is, we're gonna hear it forever. At least we got rid of the Boeheim bubble quickly.

Sportscenter highlights were literally 10 seconds long and they still found time to squeeze in "syracuse with a rare trip out of new york." Its comical at this point

i usually don't get caught up in that stuff, but the graphic they showed with "true" road games over teh last 10 years pissed me off. It's just completely twisting the story. Ranked SD St. in SD THIS YEAR. UF in St Petersburg. Kansas in Kansas City. It's sort of their job to not blatantly mislead and this has gotten out of hand.

i usually don't get caught up in that stuff, but the graphic they showed with "true" road games over teh last 10 years pissed me off. It's just completely twisting the story. Ranked SD St. in SD THIS YEAR. UF in St Petersburg. Kansas in Kansas City. It's sort of their job to not blatantly mislead and this has gotten out of hand.
Probably because none what you listed are road games.

Don't worry I am sure Andy Katz will be saying in a few weeks that we have not had any truly fierce road games.

Probably because none what you listed are road games.
which is is true if your goal is to make a point and ignore context or reality. The reality is that we play good teams in their backyard. As a news and information outlet, it's their job to do better than this. Much of the audience knows nothing about Syracuse, so leading them in that way is blatantly misinforming them. I've always given them a break when they just speak about it offhand because it's anecdotal/subjective...but when they actually go to the trouble to create a graphic, they're consciously ignoring a big piece of the story.

I have no problem with the graphic or the reputation. It's what JB does, for better or worse. I would guess most big programs play more OOC road games than we do. I wish we played more, that was fun to watch.

Duke has played Louisville, UK, and OSU so far this year. As a fan, I would love watching those early tests. Especially since our D always gives us an advantage at this point in the year.

My favorite games looking back over the past few years were at Louisville and NCSt last year, versus KU in Kansas City, winning at WVU 3 years back, and at UConn. I love watching the team go into hostile environments and shut the crowd up.

And it's not that those were truly "road" games because they aren't, it's that our games at MSG are considered "home" games that kill me. Oh Lord

Cheers,
Neil

And there was the obligatory graphic during the game about the "true" road games we have played Oh Lord

I can't fault them for that one. If true, that was truly a noteworthy graphic. They had to go all the way back to 2004 to find the 6 OOC road games they gave us credit for having played.

It is truly remarkable that we've been able to combine a mixture of neutral site tournaments and MSG appearances into as few road games as we have over the years.

which is is true if your goal is to make a point and ignore context or reality. The reality is that we play good teams in their backyard. As a news and information outlet, it's their job to do better than this. Much of the audience knows nothing about Syracuse, so leading them in that way is blatantly misinforming them. I've always given them a break when they just speak about it offhand because it's anecdotal/subjective...but when they actually go to the trouble to create a graphic, they're consciously ignoring a big piece of the story.

It's not ignoring reality or context to say we don't play a lot of road games. We Play a lot of neutral site games, mostly in places where we enjoy a favorable alumni presence. But those aren't road games.

ESPN is right. Playing SDSU on a carrier is not even close to playing at Viejas. Playing KU in KC is not close to playing at Phog.

Like someone said; it is what it is. It balances itself out by playing in the BE. Though personally I'd prefer to return to the way we scheduled per 2003

And it's not that those were truly "road" games because they aren't, it's that our games at MSG are considered "home" games that kill me. Oh Lord

Cheers,
Neil

I think it's hard to beat your chest about "owning" NYC and the Garden and then complain the next day when ESPN treats your games there like a home game.

I think it's hard to beat your chest about "owning" NYC and the Garden and then complain the next day when ESPN treats your games there like a home game.

Agreed. But then doesn't Florida believe they own St. Pete? Nobody at ESPN was calling that game a Florida home game. Right? So I was just pointing out the hypocrisy on the other side of the coin.

Cheers,
Neil

When 70% of the crowd is in Orange and observing your home court traditions it is hard to argue when they call it a home game.

Agreed. But then doesn't Florida believe they own St. Pete? Nobody at ESPN was calling that game a Florida home game. Right? So I was just pointing out the hypocrisy on the other side of the coin.

Cheers,
Neil

I agree ...unfortunately I think it comes down to JB building a reputation over 30 years.

BTW, UF played Gtown, Wisconsin, and Marquette, play @FSU and @ Arizona.

I agree ...unfortunately I think it comes down to JB building a reputation over 30 years.

BTW, UF played Gtown, Wisconsin, and Marquette, play @FSU and @ Arizona.

Understood. But UF doesn't count on their basketball team to fill the AD's coffers. ;)

It is what it is. Here's hoping the scheduling gets better now that we are in the ACC.

Cheers,
Neil

It's not ignoring reality or context to say we don't play a lot of road games. We Play a lot of neutral site games, mostly in places where we enjoy a favorable alumni presence. But those aren't road games.

ESPN is right. Playing SDSU on a carrier is not even close to playing at Viejas. Playing KU in KC is not close to playing at Phog.

Like someone said; it is what it is. It balances itself out by playing in the BE. Though personally I'd prefer to return to the way we scheduled per 2003

I agree with your first paragraph, but then your comment about KU is at odds with that thought. KC is in Kansas' back yard and was a hostile environment.

We will always be compared with duke, uk and osu. they will continue to beat us up over it. ESPN made the really "naughty" list last year, so who cares. we only have to deal with them forever now were in the acc.

and Marc Schwartz is a standup, unbiased "journalist".

Lawrence is a half hour drive from KC. Playing Kansas in KC is a road game, period.

And flying all the way across the country to play San Diego in San Diego is a road game, period. One team spent the night in their own beds and ate home cooking, the other didn't.

L
Lawrence is a half hour drive from KC. Playing Kansas in KC is a road game, period.

And flying all the way across the country to play San Diego in San Diego is a road game, period. One team spent the night in their own beds and ate home cooking, the other didn't.

Well 99 percent of sports fans would disagree with your definition of road game, so there not much I can offer.

Define "rare"

I agree with your first paragraph, but then your comment about KU is at odds with that thought. KC is in Kansas' back yard and was a hostile environment.
You're right...KC is 40 miles away.

"Big" piece of the story? How big?

You listed three games from the past five years, none of which was a road game. At one, Syracuse fans made up half the crowd. Another was a game played outdoors on the deck of a ship, at which Syracuse had no "road" disadvantage other than having taken a flight to get to the game. The third was an exciting win in front of a loud and partisan crowd, but not a road game, which was, of course, the graphic that ESPN was showing. It wasn't a graphic depicting intimidating venues or inconvenient trips for Syracuse. It was about road games. That was the story.

Three neutral court games played within an hour of the opponent's campus out of 65 non-conference games in the past five years is not a big piece of that story.