ESPN pulled Robert Lee from working the UVA football game | Syracusefan.com

ESPN pulled Robert Lee from working the UVA football game

Alsacs

Living Legend
What the heck has happened at ESPN.
Robert Lee is Asian.
ESPN has gone insane.

Honestly that network continues to find ways to go down.

I honestly thought you were joking. The Onion is real life now.

I honestly thought you were joking. The Onion is real life now.
Honestly it's sad how far ESPN has fallen.

This game was an ESPN3 broadcast nobody in their right mind would be offended Robert Lee was the play by play announcer for a UVA football game.

ESPN apologized also because they had an auction draft for fantasy football where people bid on white and black players.

What the heck has happened at ESPN.
Robert Lee is Asian.
ESPN has gone insane.

Honestly that network continues to find ways to go down.

what difference does it make what race he is? does it make it more stupid because he is Asian? I would argue that infinite stupidity is infinite stupidity.

This feels like a very normal thing that will be turned into a big thing due to it being leaked.

This feels like a very normal thing that will be turned into a big thing due to it being leaked.

And I think it was leaked because it's not normal.

ESPN did this because they thought it would become a big deal if they didn't. And by doing it, they made it a big deal.

And I think it was leaked because it's not normal.

ESPN did this because they thought it would become a big deal if they didn't. And by doing it, they made it a big deal.

I don't know, I feel like it's likely that commentators are moved around pretty often, at least for insignificant games such as this one. I don't really understand the uproar behind ESPN trying to avoid inappropriate jokes. I know everyone likes to trash ESPN, but I don't think they did anything wrong here.

I don't know, I feel like it's likely that commentators are moved around pretty often, at least for insignificant games such as this one. I don't really understand the uproar behind ESPN trying to avoid inappropriate jokes. I know everyone likes to trash ESPN, but I don't think they did anything wrong here.
Your position is your right but you are in the clear minority on this one even CNN Brian Stelter and MSNBC Joe Scarborough are hammering ESPN.

Assignments for ESPN3 games are not changed often. TV assignments aren't dished out till the week the games are given Timeslots. This decision was ultra PC by ESPN.

Your position is your right but you are in the clear minority on this one even CNN Brian Stelter and MSNBC Joe Scarborough are hammering ESPN.

Assignments for ESPN3 games are not changed often. TV assignments aren't dished out till the week the games are given Timeslots. This decision was ultra PC by ESPN.
But did those guys have ESPN Statement in hand at the time?

Frankly, I don't care. Scarborough is a joke even on topics that he's semi-knowledgeable about, much less this one.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to try to avoid an obvious joke that could easily have turned dark with the emotions around Charlottesville right now.

My problem isn't PC, it's PR. Strikes me as amazingly short sighted that someone couldn't see where this would end up. It's 2017, of course it's going to be leaked.

My problem isn't PC, it's PR. Strikes me as amazingly short sighted that someone couldn't see where this would end up. It's 2017, of course it's going to be leaked.

They were kinda damned if they do and damned if they don't though, right? It doesn't take a PR expert to know that this would have likely blown up once he's actually on camera commentating the game.

They were kinda damned if they do and damned if they don't though, right? It doesn't take a PR expert to know that this would have likely blown up once he's actually on camera commentating the game.
Who the hell would be offended if a play by play announcer named Robert Lee broadcasted a UVA game?

Who?
Should Ravens play by play guy Gerry Sandusky be fired because he has the same name as phedo from Penn state?

The fact ESPN felt this was an issue speaks volumes as how PC and pathetic they have become.

Anybody who complains about Robert Lee calling the UVA-W&M game are flat out stupid people.

Who the hell would be offended if a play by play announcer named Robert Lee broadcasted a UVA game?

Who?
Should Ravens play by play guy Gerry Sandusky be fired because he has the same name as phedo from Penn state?

The fact ESPN felt this was an issue speaks volumes as how PC and pathetic they have become.

Anybody who complains about Robert Lee calling the UVA-W&M game are flat out stupid people.

I don't know if anyone would have been offended necessarily, but it probably would have become a thing on twitter and the like. They wanted to avoid that. That's obviously not going to happen now, but I can't fault the idea. Though maybe there was no chance of this not getting leaked.

I don't know if anyone would have been offended necessarily, but it probably would have become a thing on twitter and the like. They wanted to avoid that. That's obviously not going to happen now, but I can't fault the idea. Though maybe there was no chance of this not getting leaked.
If ESPN is worried about twitter on something like this which would have been more of a funny joke than a negative thing then they are pathetic.

I mean seriously everything gets joked about on twitter and washes away quickly. This decision by ESPN is totally PC and shows how much they have changed because of Deadspin.

Who?

I don't think offending fans is an issue at all. I think they foresaw it becoming a meme/joke/a lot of unwanted attention on a guy simply doing his job. I think they, and Robert Lee himself, were simply trying to protect him.

If ESPN is worried about twitter on something like this which would have been more of a funny joke than a negative thing then they are pathetic.

I mean seriously everything gets joked about on twitter and washes away quickly. This decision by ESPN is totally PC and shows how much they have changed because of Deadspin.

The Charlottesville thing and the idea of confederate monuments coming down is a big deal. I doubt it would just be a funny joke, there would probably be a lot of unwanted attention given to a guy just trying to do his job. Instead, they wanted him to just do another game to avoid it. I really don't see the big deal here.

I don't think offending fans is an issue at all. I think they foresaw it becoming a meme/joke/a lot of unwanted attention on a guy simply doing his job. I think they, and Robert Lee himself, were simply trying to protect him.
Lol yeah because it would have become a major meme or story.

It would have been a funny joke at best to fill a day of the news cycle.

There is no chance this would have been a boom goes the dynamite.

The spin is laughable.

The Charlottesville thing and the idea of confederate monuments coming down is a big deal. I doubt it would just be a funny joke, there would probably be a lot of unwanted attention given to a guy just trying to do his job. Instead, they wanted him to just do another game to avoid it. I really don't see the big deal here.
So I guess again Gerry Sandusky shouldn't call radio games in Pennsylvania when the Ravens play there.

My god the confederate statue has nothing to do with an ESPN3 internet game where it wouldn't have been mentioned and outside the open and maybe halftime the pbp name isn't mentioned.

Jesus the idea ESPN thought this was even necessary speaks volumes to how stupid society has become.

So I guess again Gerry Sandusky shouldn't call radio games in Pennsylvania when the Ravens play there.

My god the confederate statue has nothing to do with an ESPN3 internet game where it wouldn't have been mentioned and outside the open and maybe halftime the pbp name isn't mentioned.

Jesus the idea ESPN thought this was even necessary speaks volumes to how stupid society has become.

I don't think the Sandusky thing has anything to do with this. This was something that just happened, they were sensitive to that. Maybe they were oversensitive. Like I said, I just don't think it's a big deal either way. If you want to get really worked up about it though, knock yourself out.

I'm guessing Bob Ley won't be his replacement.