ESPN pulled Robert Lee from working the UVA football game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN pulled Robert Lee from working the UVA football game

I'm guessing Bob Ley won't be his replacement.
Yep.

This is all part of the dumbing down of America to Beavis and Butthead levels.

I'm Dick Stockton and my partner is Dan Fouts...

Hehe-hehe...he said Dick...

Ridiculous

I am still trying to figure out who the victim is in this story. The extent of the outrage is amazing.

I am still trying to figure out who the victim is in this story. The extent of the outrage is amazing.
There is no outrage it's calling out PC stupidity for its stupidity.

I can't imagine anyone being offended or bothered with Robert Lee calling the UVA game in Charlottesville.

ESPN making the change because of fear of memes/jokes is so fraudulent. They are being PC because that is their choice.

It deserves to get them mocked and it has. Very few people are defending ESPN or believe what they did makes sense.

They were kinda damned if they do and damned if they don't though, right? It doesn't take a PR expert to know that this would have likely blown up once he's actually on camera commentating the game.

I don't think they were damned if they don't. Yeah, people will probably make some jokes, and Deadspin probably puts out an article. But I think that one would have died down quickly because it's just not all that interesting.

Moving it in response to what you think will happen makes it much more interesting.

ESPN making the change because of fear of memes/jokes is so fraudulent. They are being PC because that is their choice..
I don't know why ESPN wanting to avoid jokes is less believable then ESPN thinking an Asian guy's name would offend someone.

I don't think they were damned if they don't. Yeah, people will probably make some jokes, and Deadspin probably puts out an article. But I think that one would have died down quickly because it's just not all that interesting.

Moving it in response to what you think will happen makes it much more interesting.
Deadspin has broken ESPN.

They used to mock ESPN.
ESPN has changed and Deadspin doesn't mock them much at all if they even do a little.
Deadspin won.

I don't know why ESPN wanting to avoid jokes is less believable then ESPN thinking an Asian guy's name would offend someone.
If you want to believe this was done to avoid jokes go ahead.

I applaud ESPN for standing up to jokes and memes. This young man (he's 40) could have been mocked! Possibly!

It's nice that they care so much about Robert's feelings.

The good news is that Robert Lee will get some publicity. He's done Siena basketball along with other local stuff for a while now and is starting to move up a bit. Just like other guys like Doug Sherman and Andrew Catalon.

Who the hell would be offended if a play by play announcer named Robert Lee broadcasted a UVA game?

Who?
Should Ravens play by play guy Gerry Sandusky be fired because he has the same name as phedo from Penn state?

The fact ESPN felt this was an issue speaks volumes as how PC and pathetic they have become.

Anybody who complains about Robert Lee calling the UVA-W&M game are flat out stupid people.
Our country is full of them. Most are in the media.

If this were an isolated incident at ESPN then your point might have some validity but they long ago forfeited the right to receive the benefit of the doubt.

Well I've never been good at history,
& I don't give a crap about Robert E. Lee

Just wondering if any of my fellow millenials would get this reference?

So I guess again Gerry Sandusky shouldn't call radio games in Pennsylvania when the Ravens play there.

My god the confederate statue has nothing to do with an ESPN3 internet game where it wouldn't have been mentioned and outside the open and maybe halftime the pbp name isn't mentioned.

Jesus the idea ESPN thought this was even necessary speaks volumes to how stupid society has become.
Plus, ESPN shelters sexually harrassers all the time. Then it does this.

I don't think offending fans is an issue at all. I think they foresaw it becoming a meme/joke/a lot of unwanted attention on a guy simply doing his job. I think they, and Robert Lee himself, were simply trying to protect him.
I think you are buying the cover story.