ESPN Sports Reporters in mourning for the BCS | Syracusefan.com

ESPN Sports Reporters in mourning for the BCS

SWC75

Bored Historian
The decried the 4 team playoff as a "money grab", (unlike the virtuous bowls). They said that the committee organized to chose the four teams for the playoffs would have an "impossible task". There will be continuing arguments about who gets the 4th sport. Even extending to 8 which is "too many", per Israel Gutierrez, "won't solve their problems". Yet they bemoaned the loss of controversy, "which made college football unique". Gutierrez said he preferred having the regular season as "a double elimination tournament, at least if you are LSU". (Actually LSU wasn't 'eliminated' at all in the regualr season- unless he's referring to 2007.) Even Bob Ryan, who said he was in favor of a playoff because every other men's and woman's NCAA sport and every other level of this one has one, admitted that "the logisitcs of this will be very difficult".

They didn't mention that ESPN owns 8 bowl games.

I wouldn't go so far as to say those guys have ulterior motives as espn isn't the primary employer for any of them. Maybe selfishly they like the controversy, sure, because it's fun to write about.
LSU did lose twice in '07, so pretty sure that's what that guy was talking about...

I do agree with you that the 'slippery slope' argument is incredibly annoying. Yes the #5 team is still going to b!tch but so what - they will have less of a case than Auburn, Boise St, and other #3 teams who have gone undefeated.

I wouldn't go so far as to say those guys have ulterior motives as espn isn't the primary employer for any of them. Maybe selfishly they like the controversy, sure, because it's fun to write about.
LSU did lose twice in '07, so pretty sure that's what that guy was talking about...

I do agree with you that the 'slippery slope' argument is incredibly annoying. Yes the #5 team is still going to b!tch but so what - they will have less of a case than Auburn, Boise St, and other #3 teams who have gone undefeated.

#3 is almost always going to be considered a legtimate national championship contender. A #5 team will be in may years. A #9 team? Nope. Two team is clealy inadequate. 4 teams will avoid most of the controversy. 8 teams would be great if it's a straight invitatonal. If you have automatic bids you need to go to 16, unless you want byes which I don't.

Was Lupica there? He's usually the strongest BCS critic. No surprise with Saunders, he's been carrying BCS water since day 1. The other two you mention I agree have suddenly changed their tune.

Was Lupica there? He's usually the strongest BCS critic. No surprise with Saunders, he's been carrying BCS water since day 1. The other two you mention I agree have suddenly changed their tune.

Lupica was absent, (which would normally be a blessing).