ESPN survey disses JB | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN survey disses JB

But they weren't asked who is the best coach. They were asked who are the 25 best X's and O's coaches in the country. Big difference.

It's like asking who is the best free-throw shooter of all time. And someone would misunderstand and say that Wilt Chamberlain was the best basketball player of all time. While that is arguably true, he sucked at shooting free throws, and that was the original question.

Right. You need to have guys like McKillop, Stevens, etc. on that list because they beat superior athletic teams mostly by X's and O's. JB is an all-time great coach but how would he strategize if he was using inferior athletes or mid-major players?

I don't have a problem with it either. Set plays and clock management have never been a JB strongpoint. To his credit, he runs a fairly simple system offensively. Defensively, it 2-3 zone all the way of course, but to his credit it has several flavors and nuances. He recruits and develops players well. He generally has very good overall game plans. He is a very good coach overall.

But make it a tie game, last possession? Yeah, JB is not the guy I'd want in charge. I can think of a lot of other guys I'd rather have for that.

Are you serious? JB excels in clock management.

So, if you don't want him in a tie game, that means you wouldn't want him in an Overtime game? Over the last 10 years I don't think anyone has a better record.

Are you serious? JB excels in clock management.

So, if you don't want him in a tie game, that means you wouldn't want him in an Overtime game? Over the last 10 years I don't think anyone has a better record.

Last possession and an OT game are two completely different things.

I didn't want to bring it up, but I remember in a post-game interview after the 1987 NCAA title game, Bobby Knight said about the precious seconds that ticked away after Keith Smart hit his shot, "I'm still waiting for Boeheim to call time out!".

ESPN IS THE WORST
Why would you blame ESPN for the results?
All it did was poll coaches (although I don't quite understand how some coaches could vote more than once).

Here's what they were assessing: " The coaches who scare their counterparts with their ability to diagram plays and have their players carry out those plays."

And that's not Jim Boeheim's strong point. I don't see the Orange consistently running many plays nor do I see great execution when we attempt them.
(I will refrain from citing the final play against Michigan as an example).

The one play we do consistently run well is the nice curl for shooters like James Southerland and Andy Rautins.

But they weren't asked who is the best coach. They were asked who are the 25 best X's and O's coaches in the country. Big difference.

It's like asking who is the best free-throw shooter of all time. And someone would misunderstand and say that Wilt Chamberlain was the best basketball player of all time. While that is arguably true, he sucked at shooting free throws, and that was the original question.

best coach ever is Boeheim. lets be serious..

nobody, and i mean NOBODY...rolls the balls out on the court and lets them play better than JB.

hes not an X & O guy.

part of the question is by design. jb doesn't want to control offensively with patterns and play number four. he wants his talent to achieve. that's why his teams usually win the close games.
my problem with jb is defensive alignment. we'd be outstanding with our personnel in cover two.

in addition get off Clooney's arse. when he goes for 40 against BYU in the tournament. he needs you're support not only in the dome , but here too. he's not a gtown recruit, he can read

Joe Knowbody always has the game of his life and scores 60 on us, but we win by 10. JB is the luckiest coach ever...

Most of the posts in this thread remind me of the scene from "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" where they meet Ben Affleck.

Last possession and an OT game are two completely different things.

I didn't want to bring it up, but I remember in a post-game interview after the 1987 NCAA title game, Bobby Knight said about the precious seconds that ticked away after Keith Smart hit his shot, "I'm still waiting for Boeheim to call time out!".
You implied that if it was a close game you didn't want JB. Overtime games are a distinct subset of close games. Also JB has a great record in close games.

JB has improved dramatically as a coach (just look at the increased OT records for example). Part of what seperates him now from others are benefits from his experience. A quote about a game 25 years ago isn't really relevant to ranking the JB of today.

nobody, and i mean NOBODY...rolls the balls out on the court and lets them play better than JB.

hes not an X & O guy.

Ha. I remember when the Tourney started last year and they asked some assistant coaches who are familiar with various teams some scouting questions. The one coach about SU said that we probably have under 10 set plays and we don't do much offensively in terms of x's and o's. One would think the staff, having some phenomenal summer experiences with great coaches, could implement more sets or offensive concepts. It's great we made the Final 4 obviously but the offensive performances vs Indiana, Marquette, and Michigan were borderline abysmal. This has to get better. You get a team who can handle the zone well and they rout us. Can't just rely on defense.

Ha. I remember when the Tourney started last year and they asked some assistant coaches who are familiar with various teams some scouting questions. The one coach about SU said that we probably have under 10 set plays and we don't do much offensively in terms of x's and o's. One would think the staff, having some phenomenal summer experiences with great coaches, could implement more sets or offensive concepts. It's great we made the Final 4 obviously but the offensive performances vs Indiana, Marquette, and Michigan were borderline abysmal. This has to get better. You get a team who can handle the zone well and they rout us. Can't just rely on defense.
Always liked this Vince Lombardi quote. I think it applies to JB and is a big reason his players past and present appreciate him.
"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate."

And no F's were given that day.

Who cares. Does anyone disagree that JB is known for handing the balls to his guys on offense and letting them do their thing?