ESPN survey disses JB | Syracusefan.com

ESPN survey disses JB

He made Moten the BE all time leading scorer. Nuff said.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Well, he probably deserves to be on there for defensive philosophies alone but offensively JB is no guru, imo. I don't really have a problem with it. I actually hope some emphasis on offense was put in during the offseason. Making defenses work more, more than one pass and a heave, work the other side of the floor, etc.

Well, he probably deserves to be on there for defensive philosophies alone but offensively JB is no guru, imo. I don't really have a problem with it. I actually hope some emphasis on offense was put in during the offseason. Making defenses work more, more than one pass and a heave, work the other side of the floor, etc.

I have to agree with this. JB is a good coach but he's probably not one of the best X and O guys out there.

Great at assembling talent and putting his guys where they need to be, but he's not as good as guys like Coach K or Brad Stevens in terms of X's and O's, in my opinion.

JB, as good as a coach gets when it comes to putting a team together and the right pieces, which is honestly way more than half the battle. X's and O's JB is good but definitely has lapses in the game where you want to pull your hair out. Examples, late fouling when Syracuse is up annoys me the most. Happens every year and it bothers the heck out of me. No way Syracuse should ever be fouling up 10 with 3 to go. Offensively he has been running the same sets for my lifetime. Geesh JB, get a couple of new sets! That set that got fair isolated towards the end of the year was a GREAT adjustment by him. Give me fair 1-0n-1 from 17 feet out any day of the week. Then at times sometime his offenses do get in jack mode off of the first side which irritates me a ton. Most those shots can be shot any time of the shot clock! Make the D work and make them lose their legs for shooting over the zone... But Crean over JB for Xs and Os is a joke

JB, as good as a coach gets when it comes to putting a team together and the right pieces, which is honestly way more than half the battle. X's and O's JB is good but definitely has lapses in the game where you want to pull your hair out. Examples, late fouling when Syracuse is up annoys me the most. Happens every year and it bothers the heck out of me. No way Syracuse should ever be fouling up 10 with 3 to go. Offensively he has been running the same sets for my lifetime. Geesh JB, get a couple of new sets! That set that got fair isolated towards the end of the year was a GREAT adjustment by him. Give me fair 1-0n-1 from 17 feet out any day of the week. Then at times sometime his offenses do get in jack mode off of the first side which irritates me a ton. Most those shots can be shot any time of the shot clock! Make the D work and make them lose their legs for shooting over the zone... But Crean over JB for Xs and Os is a joke
I liked it for the Creans ;)

There was a time when JB was considered a great offensive coach who couldn't coach defense.

JB is a great strategist but only a good tactician.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eh. Way I see it, he knows a lot more Xs and Os than he puts into practice. He's a creature of habit, to the tune of a .745 career win percentage.

haha I think the absolute thrash down syracuse gave them in the sweet 16 explains that. They had 2 top 5 picks yet got thrashed
Yeah and the not so good at X & O n coach figured out a way to totally exploit and make look foolish one of the top defenders in college basketball.
By the way, he took
a team that couldn't shoot outside of the paint, turned them into a defensive juggernaut and got them to the Final Four

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

At this point we all know espn are made up of a bunch of trolls. Anyone with a brain knows JB is among the greatest of all time. This is laughable. Cheers to a victory today!

JB is a great strategist but only a good tactician.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This sums up my feelings. It isn't a knock on JB like others are making it out to be. JB has a big picture strategy, gets his players to see and understand that big picture strategy, and then gives them freedom. He delegates much coaching and details to his assistants. And you know? It has worked damn well. This isn't football. X's and O's isn't the end all be all compared to having a system, recruiting specifically for that system, and developing players in that system and allowing/trusting them to excel.

Reactions: jmp
Al McGuire was a disinterested tactician but understood the game better than most and knew when and how to motivate. Seems like he did pretty well for himself with an NC and a Hall of Fame slot. Same with Tarkanian. The knock on JB has always been he's sloppy with Xs and Os, which he's fueled with his belief that the best talent usually wins. With McGuire, his Xs and Os disability was considered a lovable part of his personality but with JB it's a liability. Except that he's right, the best talent does usually win--and then leaves after a year or two. The Xs and Os look good on a white board but JB prefers guys who can play. Good choice, I figure.

There was a time when JB was considered a great offensive coach who couldn't coach defense.

I definitely have thought that when watching those late 80s teams dominating on offense and playing M2M.

Tom Crean. lol
Looked a little lost last year, no?
Out-coached that game.

Crean sucks but we didn't do much offensively in that game. It wasn't very pretty. 61 points. 56 vs Michigan. We have to get better.

How about the way we run the break? That's offense too y'know ...

I don't have a problem with it either. Set plays and clock management have never been a JB strongpoint. To his credit, he runs a fairly simple system offensively. Defensively, it 2-3 zone all the way of course, but to his credit it has several flavors and nuances. He recruits and develops players well. He generally has very good overall game plans. He is a very good coach overall.

But make it a tie game, last possession? Yeah, JB is not the guy I'd want in charge. I can think of a lot of other guys I'd rather have for that.

At this point we all know espn are made up of a bunch of trolls. Anyone with a brain knows JB is among the greatest of all time. This is laughable. Cheers to a victory today!
But they weren't asked who is the best coach. They were asked who are the 25 best X's and O's coaches in the country. Big difference.

It's like asking who is the best free-throw shooter of all time. And someone would misunderstand and say that Wilt Chamberlain was the best basketball player of all time. While that is arguably true, he sucked at shooting free throws, and that was the original question.