ESPN's Best Young College BBall Coaches - 40 under 40 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN's Best Young College BBall Coaches - 40 under 40

iu
cant tell if this is sarcasm or not

They're all trash. Every single one of them.

I'm not in agreement on Paulus. 12-20 at Niagara? Obviously he took over a difficult situation but people here need to chill out
The circumstances were very extremely unfavorable to him

I'm not in agreement on Paulus. 12-20 at Niagara? Obviously he took over a difficult situation but people here need to chill out
I'm not saying he should be our next coach, but he took over a glorified HS team and went 12-20. Pretty much everyone in CBB agrees he did a fine job making chicken salad out of...

Curious as to why people mention paulus as a possibility but not gmac. (Not advocating for either) just found it interesting. Gmac has quite a bit more experience coaching at a big time program in a major conference then paulus does. He has done more recruiting/studying/coaching and working with kids and has big game experience even if only as an assistant but because paulus becomes a headcoach at Niagara he has more credibility then gmac just because G is an assistant? That seems strange to me. At Ohio state wasnt paulus just a game tape break down guy? Anyways, curious what some are thinkin on this particular scenario.

I'm surprised Jamion Christian isn't ranked higher. Jared Grasso as well.

I'm thinking our AD has a list of names that he keeps in the lockable drawer of his desk and he occasionally takes it out to update it. I think when the time comes, he will be ready to go outside the Syracuse family to bring in as much as a home run hire as he can. I am sure one or two under 40 assistants are on his list. ** This presumes that the world post Covid 19 snaps mostly back to normal.

Okay then GMac should take a HC job and show what he has as a HC.
I said Siena would have been perfect for him.

If he goes from #2 assistant on this bench to HC after JB then I can’t even start.

Okay then GMac should take a HC job and show what he has as a HC.
I said Siena would have been perfect for him.

If he goes from #2 assistant on this bench to HC after JB then I can’t even start.
I’m with you. We’re too big of a name to hire someone with no HC experience just because he went here. I honestly think we could get anyone in the country aside from 10-15 guys. Would be a shame to waste that and go with someone who’s never been a HC on any level

I’m with you. We’re too big of a name to hire someone with no HC experience just because he went here. I honestly think we could get anyone in the country aside from 10-15 guys. Would be a shame to waste that and go with someone who’s never been a HC on any level

Many are enamored with the success Xavier has had replacing head coaches over the years and also currently like current coach Travis Steele. Me too on both accounts. A little history though.
Since 1985:
  • Pete Gillen
  • Skip Prosser
  • Thad Matta
  • Sean Miller
  • Chris Mack
  • Travis Steele
That's a pretty solid transition history. Thad Matta was the only one with prior HC experience (Butler). The rest were all "on the bench" already, as recently as 2 years ago. Did Travis Steele become a better coach than Autry because Mack took the Louisville job? But here is the biggest difference in the programs. JB never left. What if Gillen never left? The rest of those guys end up on the X bench as an assistant a lot longer like Prosser actually did. Would we feel better looking for a new coach if JB had left in 1993 and SU had witnessed a parade of Wayne Morgan, Tim Welsh, Louis Orr, Rob Murphy, Mike Hopkins and now be looking for Autry off the bench? (Apologies to Brendan Malone, Troy Weaver, and even Bernie Fine who may have been candidates, Bernie could have been our Bill Guthridge).

Basically I'm saying 2 years as a head coach at a small school doesn't necessarily make you more qualified than the top assistant already on the bench.

Many are enamored with the success Xavier has had replacing head coaches over the years and also currently like current coach Travis Steele. Me too on both accounts. A little history though.
Since 1985:
  • Pete Gillen
  • Skip Prosser
  • Thad Matta
  • Sean Miller
  • Chris Mack
  • Travis Steele
That's a pretty solid transition history. Thad Matta was the only one with prior HC experience (Butler). The rest were all "on the bench" already, as recently as 2 years ago. Did Travis Steele become a better coach than Autry because Mack took the Louisville job? But here is the biggest difference in the programs. JB never left. What if Gillen never left? The rest of those guys end up on the X bench as an assistant a lot longer like Prosser actually did. Would we feel better looking for a new coach if JB had left in 1993 and SU had witnessed a parade of Wayne Morgan, Tim Welsh, Louis Orr, Rob Murphy, Mike Hopkins and now be looking for Autry off the bench? (Apologies to Brendan Malone, Troy Weaver, and even Bernie Fine who may have been candidates, Bernie could have been our Bill Guthridge).

Basically I'm saying 2 years as a head coach at a small school doesn't necessarily make you more qualified than the top assistant already on the bench.
Xavier before they moved to the Big East was always one of the halfs in a mid major league.
When you are the big dog and out recruit your conference rivals then you can transition with coaching changes well and keeping the status quo makes when you are successful.
Since the year 2000 Xavier has missed the NCAA tournament 3 times.
2005, 2013, 2019.

Syracuse has missed the tournament 5 times since 2000.
2002, 2007,2008, 2015,2017.

So comparing Syracuse to Xavier isn’t the best example. They are an outlier.
GMac as the next HC is just such a gamble without seeing what he can do as a HC. Hop’s stock has gone up since he left.

I tend to think Gerry will be one of the contenders for the HC job after Boeheim retires. Obviously his resume will not be as strong as, say, Mike Hopkins or Nate Oats, but hiring a first-time HC is not unheard of and it's had mixed results just like hiring coaches with HC experience does.

Ultimately I presume a head coach will be hired based on the interviews, not based on their head coaching record. Gerry likely won't have head coaching experience to draw back on in the interviews, but he'll have the recruiting experience to draw back on and I'm sure he'll walk in with a plan of what he wants to do as head coach.

Not sure he'd be my choice but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with it if he is hired. I'm also not going to be in the interviews so my opinion doesn't ultimately matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom