ESPN's Best Young College BBall Coaches - 40 under 40 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN's Best Young College BBall Coaches - 40 under 40

Wasn’t Boeheim a first time HC for us?

I tend to think Gerry will be one of the contenders for the HC job after Boeheim retires. Obviously his resume will not be as strong as, say, Mike Hopkins or Nate Oats, but hiring a first-time HC is not unheard of and it's had mixed results just like hiring coaches with HC experience does.

Ultimately I presume a head coach will be hired based on the interviews, not based on their head coaching record. Gerry likely won't have head coaching experience to draw back on in the interviews, but he'll have the recruiting experience to draw back on and I'm sure he'll walk in with a plan of what he wants to do as head coach.

Not sure he'd be my choice but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with it if he is hired. I'm also not going to be in the interviews so my opinion doesn't ultimately matter.
I don’t think GMac is a bad recruiter but I wouldn’t call him a top level recruiter either.
If one of his strengths is perceived as being he is a strong recruiter that is BS.

If one of the assistants on the staff is the next HC it should be Red Autry. Red is the lead assistant, associate HC and is just as good a recruiter.

I don’t think GMac is a bad recruiter but I wouldn’t call him a top level recruiter either.
If one of his strengths is perceived as being he is a strong recruiter that is BS.

If one of the assistants on the staff is the next HC it should be Red Autry. Red is the lead assistant, associate HC and is just as good a recruiter.

If that's ultimately the decision, I'll view it the same way. My gut feeling is that the school views Gerry as having more potential as a head coach but we'll see when the time comes.

If that's ultimately the decision, I'll view it the same way. My gut feeling is that the school views Gerry as having more potential as a head coach but we'll see when the time comes.

If he is the next head coach nothing will change and we're in trouble.

1976 Syracuse HC job is nowhere near as good as the 2020 Syracuse HC job.

GMac isn’t even if the top assistant on this current staff.
I’m not arguing that. I’m more noting that it’s not like we haven’t never gotten a first time coach before

This will be an interesting thread.

I think Boynton is an underrated name to come here - unless OK State backs up the brinks truck

Okay then GMac should take a HC job and show what he has as a HC.
I said Siena would have been perfect for him.

If he goes from #2 assistant on this bench to HC after JB then I can’t even start.
This. Everyone was beating the drum that Hop needs to bust his chops and get real head coaching experience before coming back. And yet some want Gerry fast-tracked to the throne when he hasn’t even shown that he can recruit ACC talent.

I think when you have such a legend retire you need to go outside his coaching tree. Too much pressure expectations on that person that follows IMO.

This. Everyone was beating the drum that Hop needs to bust his chops and get real head coaching experience before coming back. And yet some want Gerry fast-tracked to the throne when he hasn’t even shown that he can recruit ACC talent.

How many people do you know of actually argued both of those points? I have a feeling very few if any think that Hopkins needed HC experience but Gerry doesn’t.

I think when you have such a legend retire you need to go outside his coaching tree. Too much pressure expectations on that person that follows IMO.
There’s always exceptions to that rule. John the Baptist was a legend, too.

Not advocating for anyone, but I seem to have forgotten where JB was a HC before Cuse.

Yeah, and college basketball is exactly the same as it was 45 years ago. There is very little TV money, ESPN is new, and our main competition to hire our next coach is the U of Rochester. We play in a Dome with a dirt floor and a net to catch the players who might fall off the end of the court.

1. Hop. 2 Nate Oats (unless he bombs out in the south). 3 National search (with a Red interview in there).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom