et tu Jay | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

et tu Jay

Both end of the season AP and Coaches Polls had Michigan State ranked ahead of Duke.

AP
4-Michigan State
5- Duke

Coaches
5-Michigan state
6-Duke

Jay B just said that he would be surprised if Duke didn't beat us by double figures

What an advertisement this game will be for The Boeheim Zone. It will be the focal point of pre-game talk and Mike K will be gushing in his praise for what Jimmy has accomplished.

Two historical coaches using it against each other at a time when the Master has it hitting on all cylinders. The Student, however, has all the ingredients---length, athleticism, practice time---to negate the Master's advantage plus players with an elite level of offensive talent.

But could the "Cinderella's Edge" mentality break in SU's favor in a significant way?

Is it possible that---after their victory over MSU's roster of NBA talent---our guys will no longer feel intimidated by Duke's overall talent level, and that maybe this confidence will enable them to execute their zone offense on that rarefied 'Cinderella level' of performance where everything starts to go in? (Remember Villanova vs. Georgetown?)

And if we are able to create a little separation late in the game, will it start to worry the lottery picks enough to where they start missing shots, like Miles Bridges did?

Stay tuned...

What an advertisement this game will be for The Boeheim Zone. It will be the focal point of pre-game talk and Mike K will be gushing in his praise for what Jimmy has accomplished.

Two historical coaches using it against each other at a time when the Master has it hitting on all cylinders. The Student, however, has all the ingredients---length, athleticism, practice time---to negate the Master's advantage plus players with an elite level of offensive talent.

But could the "Cinderella's Edge" mentality break in SU's favor in a significant way?

Is it possible that---after their victory over MSU's roster of NBA talent---our guys will no longer feel intimidated by Duke's overall talent level, and that maybe this confidence will enable them to execute their zone offense on that rarefied 'Cinderella level' of performance where everything starts to go in? (Remember Villanova vs. Georgetown?)

And if we are able to create a little separation late in the game, will it start to worry the lottery picks enough to where they start missing shots, like Miles Bridges did?

Stay tuned...
  1. Why do you think our players are intimidated by Duke? I don't.
  2. We don't do separation. :D

1. Why do you think our players are intimidated by Duke? I don't.
  2. We don't do separation. :D
Actually, I was suggesting that they are not intimidated by Duke now. The assumption I was making was that they probably were intimidated the last time they played them, e.g., Brissett.

And yeah, what I am calling separation is the three pt. advantage we got over MSU late. In a game where both teams are killing each other with their defense, that can be significant when everything is on the line.

if duke shoots well they will win most every game they play with the talent they have on offense.. they can have an off game or we can play solid D and only a few teams have that shot. i am starting to wonder if we have even an avg shooting game left in us, let alone a good one. UMBC shot lights out vs UV and then could make anything vs KSU. if we had beat MSU scoring 80 i would give us less of a chance. Marek making jump shots could be a big deal this time around.

we shot so poorly down there if we can get to 40% and 30% from 3 thats 10 more pts and its game..

Sidibe barely played and chukwu fouled out in 24 min.. lets stay out of foul trouble this time.

Last edited:
Both end of the season AP and Coaches Polls had Michigan State ranked ahead of Duke.

AP
4-Michigan State
5- Duke

Coaches
5-Michigan state
6-Duke
Yes, this is weird! My Duke friend wanted to know why Duke was a 2 seed and MSU a 3. I said that MSU didn’t play the caliber of teams that Duke played, and also, Duke beat them. There may be other reasons, but those were the two I thought of.

I didn’t realize there was this end of season poll. What ridiculousity! Why did all the “experts” rank MSU ahead of Duke? Now today I read the article that was along the lines of “MSU, we always knew you were not the team we always pretended we thought you were.” HUH?

Seems reasonable to expect that. That might not be how it plays out, be he is not off the wall.

Agreed, but that's what I thought about the MSU game, so what the heck?

64F5B986-1500-40FC-B658-9C44006F5E52.jpeg
Screw the pundits. The game is played by a bunch of teenage kids. The pressure is on Duke...when it’s tight late they will have the weight of the world on their shoulders! We are playing loose and with house money...prepare for more shock and awe on Friday night in Omaha.

Stay tuned...
We’re the Oakland A’s to Duke’s Red Sox. Coach K stole our philosophy and now he’s bringing in elite players that fit said philosophy.

Actually, I was suggesting that they are not intimidated by Duke now. The assumption I was making was that they probably were intimidated the last time they played them, e.g., Brissett.

And yeah, what I am calling separation is the three pt. advantage we got over MSU late. In a game where both teams are killing each other with their defense, that can be significant when everything is on the line.
I think Brissett and Dolemite were intimated by the building, not the players.

I think Brissett and Dolemite were intimated by the building, not the players.

Indeed. They're freshmen! But in this string of victories, we can see that they've developed a great deal since then. If they have the game of their lives on Friday, well...

If coach K can’t beat JB’s worst team in 42 years with 11 McDonalds All Americans and 4 first round picks on his roster maybe he isn’t as good as everyone thinks he is.

Well, in fairness, the other possibility (for his loss on Friday) is that both he and Izzo---in spite of their greatness---went up against a defensive innovator genius who happened to have the talent he needed this season to work his scheme to perfection...

Stay tuned...
I don't think our guys are intimidated by anyone - except, perhaps Jim Boeheim.

I think Duke is the best team left in the tourney and they are led by the best player in the tourney who plays a position tailor made to beat us... that's a tough combo to overcome.

Yea i feel similar but dont want to admit it. And thats WHY you play the game!

We are due for an offensive outburst. Hopefully this is the game where we shoot 50-60%. Our defense can keep us in this one, but we'll need buckets to win.
This is where I am. We are due.
As for the game, two words: "Meat Grinder"! LGO

Normally I'd be tempted to suggest some breakthrough that would allow us to win this:

#Dolezaj finally goes off for 30;
#Brissett finishes every drive AND goes off from 3;
#Good Frank -- and only good Frank -- shows up;
#Battle finally goes off for 40;
#Pascal has 15 blocks and makes every free throw;
#Bayer is so good there's a budding PG controversy;
#Duke is choked by the zone and shoots 9%.

But the way this season has gone, and especially the way MSU went down, our ability to win seems to be almost divorced from stats, rationality or exceptional performances.

Think JB needs to keep sticking pins in his collection of coaching voodoo dolls: Hurley, Dixon, Izzo and now old friend K.

As I said before, these Duke guys are good but beatable as we haven’t had a good offensive game in a while. We are due for some good shooting by more than one player. I never got the intimidated thing in basketball because there is always a chance of victory without someone getting hurt. In football u play teams bigger and stronger and u can physically get hurt. That’s intimidation. Playing a Duke team playing our defense should motivate us and we got nothing to lose. Oh, did I say I hate Duke with a passion. With the team Duke has, they should be undefeated. They say he is the best coach and I have to wonder with that talent if he is.

It takes a superior ball player to carry a team. They're is not anybody even close to that from limited games I have seen. This will be a game all the way.

*googles Marvin Bagley III*

This is a quality Duke team. We need to play an A game to have a chance. Bilas is 100% right but he's assuming both teams play their normal game which would probably result in a 60-48 type score. We're streaking right now so i would not be betting Duke -11.5 for sure.

I think Brissett is the key to this game. He was terrible against Duke in February, but he's been playing and shooting better since then (EDIT - okay the numbers aren't as good as I initially thought, but it seems his made baskets are extremely important and timely shots). I doubt we see him go 2-13 including 2-7 from the three line. If he continues to play like he has so far in the tourney and make shots, we've got a puncher's chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom