et's be honest, our program hosed ZA | Syracusefan.com

et's be honest, our program hosed ZA

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Think about it. He commits after a Skype interview and becomes our biggest fan. He makes preparations to graduate early, enroll early and ve on campus for spring ball and to compete to be the starting quarterback. He connects with Hack, goes on the recruiting trail for us, and then watches us roll at the end of the season and win a bowl.

Then it all falls apart. Rumors are that his future head coach is getting NFL interest. He's told that's not true. His coach then gets hired. Next he's told Hackett isn't going anywhere by a school legend. Then Hackett goes somewhere. All while the clock's ticking on when he's going to hit campus, with no idea what exactly he's walking into.

What reason did we give him to believe things were on the up and up?

I can see why fans are upset, but we done the kid wrong folks.

I honestly have no ill will towards ZA. Tough situation to be in. I won't follow his career or think about him again unless he does really well, and by then I hope I don't care.

Think about it. He commits after a Skype interview and becomes our biggest fan. He makes preparations to graduate early, enroll early and ve on campus for spring ball and to compete to be the starting quarterback. He connects with Hack, goes on the recruiting trail for us, and then watches us roll at the end of the season and win a bowl.

Then it all falls apart. Rumors are that his future head ciach is getting NFL interest. He's told that's not true. His coach then gets hired. Next he's told Hackett isn't going anywhere by a school legend. Then Hackett goes somewhere. All while the clock's ticking on when he's going to hit campus, with no idea what exactly he's walking into.

You wouldn't buy a car in this same situation, so we can't expect ZA to commit to 4 years of college given the circumstances.

Nah. He should have visited earlier, gotten to know the school a little better. He screwed us.

ZA is no longer with the Cuse so I could care less about him. I could care less what he does or doesnt do in his college career unless we for some strange reason end up playing against him. But we will not be hearing from ZA for at least 3 years since he will be red shirting this year now for sure. So he is done for me. Could care less about him personally.

Then it all falls apart. Rumors are that his future head coach is getting NFL interest. He's told that's not true. His coach then gets hired. Next he's told Hackett isn't going anywhere by a school legend. Then Hackett goes somewhere. All while the clock's ticking on when he's going to hit campus, with no idea what exactly he's walking into.

Eh, it was a rough deal and I don't blame him for looking elsewhere, but this isn't "us" doing him wrong...this is just the system. Gary Patterson could bolt at some point and he'll have to deal w it there. Odds are super high that in 4 years, your hc will change. Sucks for us. Sucks for him, but that's the business. This is our turn to deal with it.

I honestly can't fault the kid for his decision. I'm disappointed he didn't come, but that's life. I can't be outraged that an 18 year old didn't come to my favorite school to make sure I was entertained, when I know there's an impoverished 8 year old somewhere going without dinner again tonight. In the long run, if Shafer is as good at being a HC as he is at press conferences, it won't matter.

can't blame the kid, but blame the selfish ahole that is DM. Not for leaving to follow his dreams and ambitions, no for lying to either little or hackett who then lied to Allen. He's an ahole too for lying about wanting a NFL experienced coordinator and then taking Hackett the one person who could ensure better continuity for the program and to keep ZA.

So the program didn't hose ZA, DM did.

can't blame the kid, but blame the selfish ahole that is DM. Not for leaving to follow his dreams and ambitions, no for lying to either little or hackett who then lied to Allen. He's an ahole too for lying about wanting a NFL experienced coordinator and then taking Hackett the one person who could ensure better continuity for the program and to keep ZA.

Doug lied to Shafer and Doc which led to Floyd being put in a horrible position. Doug could not have done a worst job in leaving

Eh, it was a rough deal and I don't blame him for looking elsewhere, but this isn't "us" doing him wrong...this is just the system. Gary Patterson could bolt at some point and he'll have to deal w it there. Odds are super high that in 4 years, your hc will change. Sucks for us. Sucks for him, but that's the business. This is our turn to deal with it.
I get the don't hate the player, hate the game sentiment. Just saying I have some sympathy for the guy.

His life beginning next week is not at all the life he had planned for himself, by no fault of his own. Sucks. He made the best decision he felt he could, given the circumstances

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Nah. He should have visited earlier, gotten to know the school a little better. He screwed us.
I don't see how that would have made any difference. The idea that a player commits to a school and not a coach is so bogus. When people look for jobs if they only sign on with the company and not the boss they're making a risky choice.

I get the don't hate the player, hate the game sentiment. Just saying I have some sympathy for the guy.

His life beginning next week is not at all the life he had planned for himself, by no fault of his own. Sucks. He made the best decision he felt he could, given the circumstances

Everything you said is true, but if he's not completely comfortable with TCU, he had the option of looking around more and waiting until the fall to enroll like 99% of other freshman. He could have even waited for the dust to settle here, and maybe he would've liked the new OC as much as Hackett. The only reason for him to rush a decision was so he could get in for spring practice and compete for a job immediately, which makes the TCU move puzzling.

Doug lied to Shafer and Doc which led to Floyd being put in a horrible position. Doug could not have done a worst job in leaving

But Gross said Doug was comunicating all along, you do not know how things went down, so don't pretend you do

I don't see how that would have made any difference. The idea that a player commits to a school and not a coach is so bogus. When people look for jobs if they only sign on with the company and not the boss they're making a risky choice.

Wayne Williams said he commited to SU & SU Football

But Gross said Doug was comunicating all along, you do not know how things went down, so don't pretend you do
I have been told that Doc was told that Doug was not going to hire Hack. Told by someone who really does know not thinks they know. Also think about it do you think that Doc would have gone to the trouble of putting together a new written contract if he didnt already have a verbal agreement in place on terms with Hack? When it comes to this issue yes i do know

SU may be that kind of program at some point, but not now or recently. Until & unless we have a long period of sustained success, recruits will be tied to coaches & not SU. ND won't lose many recruits when Kelly leaves, but we're going to take some hits anytime a coach moves on.

I definitely have sympathy for him and for us. i just don't have any guilt that su did anything to him. This is just sucky timing/circumstance. Likewise, I don't have any ill feelings toward him.

I doubt I'd comitt to a school without visiting first.

Wayne Williams said he commited to SU & SU Football
I'd say that's nice, but Wayne kept his coach.

I'd say that's nice, but Wayne kept his coach.

My point was that everyone does not commit to the coaches some do commit to the school and the program, and the fact that someone said that about SU where it is in the rebuild I think says something about the integrity of how the program is being rebuilt

SU did not screw ZA and he did screw SU. Schools change coaches all the time, it's a risk recruits take. He decided not to take a chance on an unknown. And I think people on this board ought to be awfully careful about accusing people of lying. We don't the facts our the timing.

SU did not screw ZA and he did screw SU. Schools change coaches all the time, it's a risk recruits take. He decided not to take a chance on an unknown. And I think people on this board ought to be awfully careful about accusing people of lying. We don't the facts our the timing.

So because he thought the uncertainty of the coaching staff was a risk to his future he chose to do what is best for his future? If any program puts that much stock in an 18 year old 2 to 3 star recruit, they need to fire every one involved. He did what he felt best for him, SU will be fine. And the risk the recruit takes is after he is on campus, nit before he enrolls. He would not be doing his due dilligence if he did not explore other more stable offers...that said, if he was a Fall enrolee, we might have been able to keep him

Spot on, though im sure you will get blasted for that comment by the everything is just fine crowd.