Euro 2020 | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Euro 2020

It's a sport where goals are a tiny percentage of a game vs a sport where FTs are a large pct of the game. I think that in itself eliminates any comparison

Why? Most players make about 70-75% of penalty attempts. Most basketball players shoot similar percentages from the FT line. Imagine some 90% guy going up there and missing, and a couple rounds later, somebody like Fab Melo swishes one to win the game.

I didn't say it was. It would be pretty cool to see, instead of overtime.
If you can't see that, then sorry for your lack of imagination.
I'd hate to see someone lose a World Cup.game because of a fluke goal with no goalie in the net.

Why? Most players make about 70-75% of penalty attempts. Most basketball players shoot similar percentages from the FT line. Imagine some 90% guy going up there and missing, and a couple rounds later, somebody like Fab Melo swishes one to win the game.

I can appreciate the imagination but as someone who played both sports I just don't see it (Soccer at a higher organized level and have also coached it). That is just my opinion not knocking the creativity of the idea.

I'd hate to see someone lose a World Cup.game because of a fluke goal with no goalie in the net.

That was somebody else's hypothetical.

Another idea (again, just spitballing), each 10-15 min each team plays with one fewer player on the field.

I can appreciate the imagination but as someone who played both sports I just don't see it. That is just my opinion not knocking the creativity of the idea.

When you play pick up at the park, that's usually how you decide who gets the ball first. You shoot foul shots.

And then you never have a cuse uconn 6ot classic.

When you play pick up at the park, that's usually how you decide who gets the ball first. You shoot foul shots.

Ok now we are getting wild with the analogies. And most times it was a 3pt shot for ball and sudden death.

We also use to do distance increases on pug goals in 5 v 5 too... I mean you go lay out tons of scenarios.

These extra time scenarios just reminded me of what we all have to look forward to at the World Cup: posters that don’t watch soccer (not talking about anybody on this thread) suggesting what rules need to change so that they will watch.

Happens every 4 years around here… all the same takes, all terrible suggestions. Can’t wait.

These extra time scenarios just reminded me of what we all have to look forward to at the World Cup: posters that don’t watch soccer (not talking about anybody on this thread) suggesting what rules need to change so that they will watch.

Happens every 4 years around here… all the same takes, all terrible suggestions. Can’t wait.

Yep. Along with those who watch it casually and never played. Not calling anyone out as well.

I'll be the first to admit im the casual fan. Not because I don't like Soccer just because with all the sports I enjoy I just don't have the time.

E6C3AV4WYAEnoSL

Should we take the refs out and have players call.their own fouls?

We just watched a penalty shoot out decide a continental championship.
Forgive me for saying "wouldn't it be interesting ..."

Another idea (again, just spitballing), each 10-15 min each team plays with one fewer player on the field.
Then the game doesn’t become soccer anymore.
How about in basketball no player shoots their free throws till all the time in the game has expired.

So the time is played so teams can’t foul at the end to extend the game and then one team shoots its 20 FTs and the other team shoots its 38 FTs it’s acquired during the game.

The current method works.

Then the game doesn’t become soccer anymore.
How about in basketball no player shoots their free throws till all the time in the game has expired.

So the time is played so teams can’t foul at the end to extend the game and then one team shoots its 20 FTs and the other team shoots its 38 FTs it’s acquired during the game.

The current method works.

Like many things when one doesn't like the result they question the process.

We just watched a penalty shoot out decide a continental championship.
Forgive me for saying "wouldn't it be interesting ..."
So? We watched a penalty shot decide a World Cup in 94. My team lost. It happens.

I'll be the first to admit im the casual fan. Not because I don't like Soccer just because with all the sports I enjoy I just don't have the time.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I’m the same with some sports. Life gets in the way of me following hardcore like I used to to in high school, college, and post-grad/pre-family.

With that said I’m not going to show up on The Masters thread telling everyone what rule changes the sport needs so maybe I watch an extra 45 minutes of golf per year more than I typically do.

Keep an eye on the World Cup thread when it happens, if you remember. Some donkey or 3 will go on about rule changes just like they did 4 and 8 years ago.

Los burros idiotas, IMO.

I couldn’t possibly care less who won. ;)

Didn't even see you had posted in this thread. I was speaking about a few other posts and those in the future when WC comes around

Also coached HS, always let players that really wanted them go ahead. I’ve had some of my best players say I don’t want to in big games. It’s crazy pressure.
My sons ODP team had a player that begged off a PK in a shoot-out in the regional finals. (Our team lost.) The kid started at SU as a freshman.

Last edited:
Soccer is the most popular sport in the world. It will continue to gain popularity in the US. There is a method for securing a winner after 120 minutes of continuous (half time excepted) play, with only 3 substitutions. If it’s not your thing, just don’t watch.
On the other hand, I believe the more you watch it for what is is, rather than what it is not, the more you will appreciate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom