Every time we're 1 seed good | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Every time we're 1 seed good

Our seed doesn't matter if we're playing well.
Stop overreacting because of this loss.
We lost. So what, get over it. The season isn't over.
Tons of basketball to play yet.
We need to get healthy.
If we cant find our offense in the next few weeks it will be over quick.
I don't want it to happen but the writing is on the wall.
Free Billy!

I don't think you understand the thread.
I understand the "cursed" aspect of the OP's original statement. This is not Arize getting hurt or Fab Melo getting suspended. Those teams were much better than this SU team. The Grant injury really hurts but this is not the blow of losing those two centers before the NCAA tourney after we've locked up a 1 seed because we're not getting a 1 seed.

We didn't make the tournament.

44cuse
Was that before or after the thread about how playing in the NIT is the better option???

Was that before or after the thread about how playing in the NIT is the better option???

That's very funny. I assume you know what I'm talking about?

44cuse

Sometimes it just comes down to how good a team is on the court, not just on paper, especially if that paper goes back to 2013. I don't see 4 teams better than UVa right now. We certainly are not.

How many times has the selection committee come out and said they are looking for teams to play tough non conference schedules?

Wisconsin is very close right now The conference tourney and the opp's for both us and them to add quality wins could be the tie-breaker.

Yes they have 5 losses vs our 3.

But they have better quality wins (top 100 wins ranked by RPI) . They have an equal What loss at home to us (Northwestern vs BC), so at least BC game cannot be held against us if we are comoaring ourselves to Wisconsin.

Wisconsin - #1 Florida, #2 Virginia, #3 Michigan, #4 St. Louis, $5 Michigan St, #6 Iowa, #7 Iowa, #8 Minnesota, #9 Green Bay, #10 St. John's, #11 Marquette, #12 Illinois, #13 Illinois, #14 West Virginia, #15 Indiana

Syracuse - #1Villanova, #2 Duke, #3UNC, #4 Pitt, #5 Pitt, #6 Baylor,#7 Minnesota, #8 Cal, #9 St. John's #10NC St, #11Maryland, #12 Clemson, #13 Eastern Michigan, #14 Indiana

They have better wins 1-3 and 4-7, after that its pretty even.

How many times has the selection committee come out and said they are looking for teams to play tough non conference schedules?

Virginia played a strong enough OOC schedule, They played 4 or 5 tourney teams (12 seed and above) Its just that they lost 4 of those games.

But Virginia may not have a loss to any team that is not a 12 seed or above. Green Bay is actually one of the better mid majors this year from a lower tier conference, and at least two (them and Harvard it appears) have to make at least the 12 line.

Last edited:
If UVa wins the ACC tourney they are definitely a threat for the #2 seed in the East. I would not want to put us up with 4 losses vs them as 5 losses and two titles.

If we lose to Duke in the ACC semi's for example, we have no quality ACC wins in the tournament, while VIrginia potentially knocks off Duke and UNC in the tourney.

Virginia would also not have a bad loss. We would have one.

In this scenario, top 50 wins:

Virginia - Duke, Syracuse, UNC, UNC, SMU, Pitt
Syracuse - Villanova, Duke, UNC, Pitt, Pitt, Minnesota, Baylor

Its not that big of a difference.

Last edited:
And Virginia played a really strong OOC schedule, Its just that they lost a bunch of those games.

But Virginia may not have a loss to any team that is not a 12 seed or above. Green Bay is actually one of the better mid majors this year from a lower tier conference, and at least two (them and Harvard it appears) have to make at least the 12 line.

They played an ok non conf schedule, and they only won one of those games, against smu. Btw if we lost to Green Bay, we would be hearing about it 50 times a day from the espn crew.

They are a very good team, but they don't have anywhere close to a one seed resume.

SU's hold on a #1 seed is exceptionally shaky right now. They absolutely can't futz around with GT or FSU.

I'd rather sit grant for the next 19 days even if it results in a 2 seed.

Holy cow 90% of responders completely missed the point. It just sucks to have a great regular season and then lose 1 or 2 or 3 players at the end of the year so that we limp through the NCAA tournament, clearly going nowhere. Look at the last five years. Last year's team was by far the worst amongst 2010, 2012, 2013. You could debate if they were better than 2011, but I would say it was a draw. So the worst or second worst team we've had gets to the final four. The others don't. Difference? Onuaku, Fab Melo. Now it will be Grant, or DC, or Baye. Either way we will be down 1 starter (DC) and our second biggest mismatch/impact player (Grant) and Baye still had lame/limping moments against Maryland and was a shell of himself today. We may not have gotten past the Sweet 16 with Grant, but we have zero chance without him. It is depressing and frustrating.

If we'd play more than 7 guys consistently during the season, we could overcome an injury like this. Roberson needs some time to develop some confidence on the court. Injuries happen. We need to stop treating every game like it's the national championship and develop a bench. We have plenty of talented players there.

pitt isn't going to be top 50 by the time season ends. IF Virginia wins out thru acc tourney they could get the highest 2 seed but I think Memphis is closer to virginia than msg so they would go there

Holy cow 90% of responders completely missed the point. It just sucks to have a great regular season and then lose 1 or 2 or 3 players at the end of the year so that we limp through the NCAA tournament, clearly going nowhere. Look at the last five years. Last year's team was by far the worst amongst 2010, 2012, 2013. You could debate if they were better than 2011, but I would say it was a draw. So the worst or second worst team we've had gets to the final four. The others don't. Difference? Onuaku, Fab Melo. Now it will be Grant, or DC, or Baye. Either way we will be down 1 starter (DC) and our second biggest mismatch/impact player (Grant) and Baye still had lame/limping moments against Maryland and was a shell of himself today. We may not have gotten past the Sweet 16 with Grant, but we have zero chance without him. It is depressing and frustrating.

we had a late season swoon last year offensively and we did fine in the ncaa tournament chillax. Baye being injured made no difference in how he played today as he struggles vs the more physical teams.

I understand the "cursed" aspect of the OP's original statement. This is not Arize getting hurt or Fab Melo getting suspended. Those teams were much better than this SU team. The Grant injury really hur
I understand the "cursed" aspect of the OP's original statement. This is not Arize getting hurt or Fab Melo getting suspended. Those teams were much better than this SU team. The Grant injury really hurts but this is not the blow of losing those two centers before the NCAA tourney after we've locked up a 1 seed because we're not getting a 1 seed.

Ya, you're just being real nitpicky. We know this team isn't as good and the circumstances aren't exactly the same.
It's not out of line to call a team that was a consensus 1 on the morning of March 1st "1seed good". Grant is also way more important to this team than those guys were.

Bumping this thread so I can claim I said UVa had a path to a one seed first. ;):cool::bat: Brag-seys!!!:Ecouchburn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom