Everyone asking about G-Mac's Offense.. | Syracusefan.com

Everyone asking about G-Mac's Offense..

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
from OE's AJ Long article:

"Long said Syracuse will use the pistol offense, which will mesh with his running and passing abilities."

This should be pretty fun. Remember Kaepernick running this at Nevada?

"Long said Syracuse will use the pistol offense, which will mesh with his running and passing abilities."

I also remember SU running it a few years ago and it was a disaster.

Didn't GRob get ridiculed when he rolled out the pistol, as well as that funky punt formation that a lot of teams use now?

Can someone who is knowledgable explain the basics of the pistol. Any college teams run it regularly last season?

Would that give Hunt an advantage in the QB battle?

I feel like us using the Pistol is much more conducive to a running QB like a Hunt or Kinder but Loeb could surprise. Kid's not as slow as you'd think. Let's see how it plays out.

different players, different coaches.

Sure, but that's no guarantee it will be successful. I guess I will hold off judgement until I see it in action. I'm just not much of a fan of the Pistol formation.

Sure, but that's no guarantee it will be successful. I guess I will hold off judgement until I see it in action. I'm just not much of a fan of the Pistol formation.
My recollection is they had the formation down under Gump, they just had absolutely no time to run plays.

I feel like us using the Pistol is much more conducive to a running QB like a Hunt or Kinder but Loeb could surprise. Kid's not as slow as you'd think. Let's see how it plays out.
My recollection was that Loeb had the fastest straight-line 40yd time, right? Different story making people miss.

Didn't GRob get ridiculed when he rolled out the pistol, as well as that funky punt formation that a lot of teams use now?

Gump used the pistol with Andrew Robinson, right? Not exactly what we're going for here, I don't think.

Can someone who is knowledgable explain the basics of the pistol. Any college teams run it regularly last season?

It's the new thing to do. A few NFL teams successfully went to it. Hardbaugh had a ton of success with it at SF. You will see this all over the NFL next year.

I also remember SU running it a few years ago and it was a disaster.

Brian White was behind that offense here. He's a good coach and it's a system that clearly works. The problem back then was the o-line. Wylie couldn't get them to zone block and Robinson got absolutely murdered. 50-plus sacks, I want to say, on the year. We have better o-line talent now and the kids in the program know zone protections. The variable is Perles and the offensive tackles. This is an offense that can pile up the yards but it makes the QB more vulnerable than in a shotgun spread.

Seems to me it might be good for recruiting. Kids love the current trend.

I think the pistol just makes sense right now. Its the best of both the shotgun and the single back formation which were the last two trends. I personally love it be cause the running back is able to receive the hand off running downhill. Also if you watch Mitch Kimble's tape and A.J Longs tapes they both did a lot of rollout type pass plays, maybe a just coincidence.. But I wonder if that means we could see more of those plays in the offense.

UCLA Nevada both use this. The idea was first used and still is out in Nevada. The idea is to be a quick attack and to compensate for an undersized or weaker offensive line. What's great about it is that it's great for misdirection run option plays. Yes kapernick ran it to perfection at university of Nevada and if my mind serves me right the coach who developed the offense system just got a head coaching job somewhere.

Brian White was behind that offense here.
Actually, it was Phil Earley that brought the pistol formation to the Dome from his days at Nevada.

Phil is now coaching at Fresno State in the MWC.

Yes and no.

He was ridiculed for the Pistol - he didn't have the QB or other players to run it.

It was P who introduced the punt formation his final year and was ridiculed for it.

This thread is giving me horrible memories of Andrew Robinson handing the ball to Curtis Brinkley out of the Pistol for a loss of negative 2 yards, all while wearing those putrid Orange uniforms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom