Everyone forgets how young we are | Syracusefan.com

Everyone forgets how young we are

GooseMutt

All Conference
and it’s a major factor. Add injuries to it and a short roster and here we are. Our two seasoned players are playing very good. This ACC experience will season our young players for next season several will be here the following year building our desperately needed base. In this league it’s baptism by fire. The fact that we have held our own against most teams is actually amazing. What did you all really expect

and it’s a major factor. Add injuries to it and a short roster and here we are. Our two seasoned players are playing very good. This ACC experience will season our young players for next season several will be here the following year building our desperately needed base. In this league it’s baptism by fire. The fact that we have held our own against most teams is actually amazing. What did you all really expect
I agree with you about the young roster and lack of depth...but it still hard to watch in the interim. Hopefully it will make any success sweeter.

72 is in his 4th year
Frank in his 3rd
Battle in his 2nd
Moyer in his 2nd

On the younger side but shouldn't be an issue.

72 is in his 4th year
Frank in his 3rd
Battle in his 2nd
Moyer in his 2nd

Moyer redshirted last year, this is his first year playing and he is playing on one foot. Battle is a terrific player, but can't carry a team like most players can't. Frank was a stiff before this year and didn't play much. the team IS young, there is zero depth, and i mean zero, when 2 of your 7 players are really hurt. No excuses next year, but after the sanctions, a few years of JB as the lame duck who started to pull back in recruiting to let Hopkins start taking over as well as injuries/players bailing, it makes complete(yet painful) sense that we are where we are.

Let’s be honest though. Chukwu had very limited playing time and experience prior to this year as did Moyer

If Chukwu isn't getting it 3 and a half years in even with that injury he probably will never get it or won't get it until his time is long past here.

72 is in his 4th year
Frank in his 3rd
Battle in his 2nd
Moyer in his 2nd

As presented like that it's a little misleading, considering:

7-2 is playing in his 3rd season - and his 2nd season was all of 7 games long, so more like 2.5

and Moyer is playing in his 1st season (redshirt years don't count as game time experience)

So more like 4.5 seasons of game experience, in total.

I'd say that qualifies as young/inexperienced.

For comparison:
BC's guys last night had 8 seasons combined experience.
Even the Duke team we played, with all the Freshmen, had 6 seasons total.
UNC had 15 total seasons of experience to rely on when they played us! 15!
Miami's roster had 9 seasons of game experience.
16 seasons of experience for NC State's players.
Wake had 14 seasons experience.
13 seasons for Louisville's team.
And Virginia with 11 seasons of experience.

Most certainly looks like SU's 4.5-5 seasons is the lowest of the sample I just did. In fact, the average number of seasons of experience for the 8 teams I listed is 11.5! Double our number.

Last edited:
As presented like that it's a little misleading, considering:

7-2 is playing in his 3rd season - and his 2nd season was all of 7 games long, so more like 2.5

and Moyer is playing in his 1st season (redshirt years don't count as game time experience)

So more like 4.5 seasons of game experience, in total.

I'd say that qualifies as young/inexperienced.

For comparison:
BC's guys last night had 8 seasons combined experience.
Even the Duke team we played, with all the Freshmen, had 6 seasons total.
UNC had 15 total seasons of experience to rely on when they played us! 15!
Miami's roster had 9 seasons of game experience.
16 seasons of experience for NC State's players.
Wake had 14 seasons experience.
13 seasons for Louisville's team.
And Virginia with 11 seasons of experience.

Most certainly looks like SU's 4.5-5 seasons is the lowest of the sample I just did. In fact, the average number of seasons of experience for the 8 teams I listed is 11.5! Double our number.

So you're trying to sell me that Moyer had a year to learn our system and our defense and that doesn't count towards anything? What's the damn point of red shirting players then?

How many years experience did we have in 2003? Who cares. Talent is what matters.

I think a lot of people forget how injured and banged up this team is. Chukwu can barely run now and is being asked to gut out around 30 minutes a game because Sidibe can barely play most nights. Moyer is still hampered by a bad ankle. Our third and fourth guards are gone.

If Chukwu isn't getting it 3 and a half years in even with that injury he probably will never get it or won't get it until his time is long past here.

Not getting what? After contributing nothing basically last year, he has proven to be a serviceable center, quality rebounder, and above average shot blocker.

There were many prognosticators who predicted prior to the season that he would never contribute here, that he was a waste of scholarship, etc. Chukwu has debunked that with his play this year. Which for the record, was the first dose of steady PT he'd gotten in two years.

I don't think anybody expects him to be Shaq, but let's not discount that he's providing valuable contributions just because people are frustrated.

The problem is that the team has 3 guys who can dribble or catch the ball.

Fwiw, Ken Pom has an experience metric, we are 338th out of 351 schools. So yeah, pretty young. then again, Duke and kentucky are the two youngest, so it's not like it's a disqualifier. But if you're gonna be super young, you probably want to have a lot of lotto picks, we're kinda short there.

Not getting what? After contributing nothing basically last year, he has proven to be a serviceable center, quality rebounder, and above average shot blocker.

There were many prognosticators who predicted prior to the season that he would never contribute here, that he was a waste of scholarship, etc. Chukwu has debunked that with his play this year. Which for the record, was the first dose of steady PT he'd gotten in two years.

I don't think anybody expects him to be Shaq, but let's not discount that he's providing valuable contributions just because people are frustrated.

I think Chukwu was been pretty solid this season. He is definitely limited, but, well, we're 12th in the country in 2 point defense, and 2nd in block rate, who do you think is most responsible for that? I think he would benefit from A) not having to play so many minutes per game, it's a subjective thing, but a guy his size, I don't know, 30 plus minutes is a lot to play, and B) hopefully having more offense around him. He'll likely never be a skilled offensive player, but put some more threats around him and I don;'t think that stands out as much

Youth shouldn't be an excuse. Its a skill problem. Moyer is in his second year of the program and doesn't look like a competent college basketball player; at least at the ACC level. During the offseason, this team needs to be locked into a gym and putting up jumpers and working on their handling until their palms bleed. Those are two skills you don't need a coach for. It comes down to the level of effort you're willing to put in.

For all his good he is equally as bad.

So you're trying to sell me that Moyer had a year to learn our system and our defense and that doesn't count towards anything? What's the damn point of red shirting players then?

How many years experience did we have in 2003? Who cares. Talent is what matters.

I do agree that talent is what ultimately matters. We've had young talent start/play often during JB's tenure without it being the alleged overbearing issue. The difference really with this year's youth is that none of them are exceptional, but more or less role/Syracuse program type players that by the time they get to the junior/senior years are likely where they're measurably contributing.

This year's team is really, imo, terribly talent stricken. I don't know what other team (perhaps maybe Pitt) where Marek, Moyer, Chukwu see even significant minutes in this league, let alone start. This is Chukwu's 4th year of college, a year at Providence, the transfer year, last year and now this year. Yes, this is his first year of playing significant minutes, but it's still his 4th year. I don't expect too much more next year to be honest. The jury's out on Sidibe, as even if he were healthy this year, his lack of strength would be in issue in ACC play regardless. He had that moment at Pitt when he apparently was feeling good, but again it was Pitt, which haven't won any games since December and haven't even been competitive in many ACC games.

You are right that talent is what matters. And experienced talent still usually wins out over inexperienced talent. But the point of red-shirting is usually to allow for further physical development that will help you utilize your skills. It is rare that a player with "real talent" is red shirted. But no, you can not count a red-shirt year as "experience.' It's marginally better than a prep year. Coming into this season (not counting Thorpe) 5 of our top 8 players were freshman. That is young.

You are right that talent is what matters. And experienced talent still usually wins out over inexperienced talent. But the point of red-shirting is usually to allow for further physical development that will help you utilize your skills. It is rare that a player with "real talent" is red shirted. But no, you can not count a red-shirt year as "experience.' It's marginally better than a prep year. Coming into this season (not counting Thorpe) 5 of our top 8 players were freshman. That is young.

To me a guy who spent a year practicing with D1 guys and learning the system should have a much greater leg up than someone who doesn't. No excuse why somebody coming in fresh should know our defensive rotations better than a RS.

Chukwu would be fine if we were putting any kind of offense on the court at the 4. We aren't.
Right -- if Thompson had stayed, we would still be very young, but having his offense from the 4 would get this team into the tournament. Can live with being young, if you can put talent on the floor.
The problem is we play 3 on 5, with little contribution on offense from Moyer, Dolezaj or Chukwu, and Sidibe injured.

Bazley, Carey and Buddy have no experience but many are saying next year things will turn around because of them. I am confused.
But they are rated higher than this years freshmen and they will have a supporting cast of players with some experience Bazley looks totally ready and Carey appears composed and ready for the challenge. Those two are born leaders

ABsolutely spot on. We’re extremely young and inexperienced. I’ve been trying to remind myself of that all season after these heartbreaking losses. The thing is, you see the talent and athleticism and heart and I just hoped they’d progress enough to squeeze out enough wins and make the NCAA tourney. I thought we could maybe get to 9-9 or 10-8. But such a heavy lift after losing TT. We’ve been close but just haven’t been able to pull out some of these wins that were there for the taking, like UNC, NC State, Notre Dame, Florida State, Wake and Bonaventure. Even if they win half of those, they’re an NCAA tourney worthy team. Next year we should win those and be much improved. I still have hope that Marek or PC or Sid will give us just enough offensive support against Clemson and in the ACC tourney next week that we can squeak in to the NCAAs, but I know it’s a long shot, especially with all the injuries.

Last edited:
I have never seen the number of injured basketball players in my decades of fandom throughout all of NCAA basketball as I have this year. Almost every team has at least one major injury and some have had multiple players out for short stretches (our already short bench just accentuates the issue for us). Wonder why this is happening? Year round playing via high school teams, AAU, year round conditioning for a single sport vs playing multiple sports decades ago? The emphasis on youth where kids are starting to play multiple games per day starting as young as 10 in AAU ball ? The rather recent emphasis on weight training which many basketball players fought against for years? Were players willing or able to play injured more decades ago? Why are bodies breaking down so young and so often? Just more of my crazy random thoughts... (characterizing myself with having actual 'thoughts' is probably an overstatement :p).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom